Kosher salt - advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All salt is sodium Chloride (NaCl). I exclude all the other family of salts, we're talking cooking salt. There are basically two differences, grain size and purity.

Table salt and pickling salt are finely ground. Kosher salt is coarser (the degree of coarseness varies by brand). Then there is rock salt which is appropriate for salt mills.

Impurities are what gives you black, pink, grey, brown, etc. sea salts and their distinctive flavor notes.

All salt has the same level of saltiness by weight but not by volume. A tablespoon of table salt is twice as much salt as a tablespoon of Diamond Crystal kosher salt and 1.5 times as much as Morton's kosher salt because of the differences in the coarseness of their respective grinds.

=) Not sure why it's acceptable to wax poetic about different cuts of beef (cow is cow) or a variety of heirloom tomatoes (all are solanum lycopersicum no matter how they're sliced) but somehow salt is just ... salt.

In my personal experiences if table salt is subbed 1:1 for kosher salt in a recipe the dish is right on the edge of being inedible and I would consider it a total waste to pour sea salt into a dish where the flavor would be cooked away. :chef:

=) Not sure why it's acceptable to wax poetic about different cuts of beef (cow is cow) or a variety of heirloom tomatoes (all are solanum lycopersicum no matter how they're sliced) but somehow salt is just ... salt.

In my personal experiences if table salt is subbed 1:1 for kosher salt in a recipe the dish is right on the edge of being inedible and I would consider it a total waste to pour sea salt into a dish where the flavor would be cooked away. :chef:

Probably because you've ended up with up to twice as much salt with the table salt.

Actually, Kosher salt should be called koshering salt as it's supposed to be the salt used in koshering meats.

Check this out: Kosher salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly right.

Speaking of "impurities", those are minerals and they are good for you. But companies have found out that they can separate and sell them just like they sell the salt itself. But that is whole another discussion .

I understand you are trying to point out there are differences in salts. In fact, there are differences in what's with the salt. The different flavors of different salts are because of the impurities present. 100% pure salt is all the same. Sorry.

Equating wine to vinegar doesn't strengthen your point. If you have a point to make, try to state it with facts rather than snide remarks.

I understand you are trying to point out there are differences in salts. In fact, there are differences in what's with the salt. The different flavors of different salts are because of the impurities present. 100% pure salt is all the same. Sorry.

Equating wine to vinegar doesn't strengthen your point. If you have a point to make, try to state it with facts rather than snide remarks.

++++1

Come on people, salt is salt!!

After all, even the salt which is mined from deep underground was once "sea salt". ;)

Not surprisingly, sea salt is easy to come by here in the Bahamas. It was once our only export, and is still produced here. The salt trade was once a large part of the country's economy.

@ Andy: Diamond Crystal was producing salt here on Long Island back in the 70's and 80's - big operation. The politics from a change in the political party in charge essentially ran them out. The ruins of the plant are on a beautiful deserted beach. This is my wife and her sister relaxing on the beach:

Attachments

• Diamond Crystal.jpg
    Diamond Crystal.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
...@ Andy: Diamond Crystal was producing salt here on Long Island back in the 70's and 80's - big operation. The politics from a change in the political party in charge essentially ran them out. The ruins of the plant are on a beautiful deserted beach. This is my wife and her sister relaxing on the beach:

Interesting! You don't think about industry being in the Caribbean.

Read "Salt" by Mark Kurlansky...you wouldn't think a whole book on Salt would be so interesting, but it is!!!

Back
Top Bottom