"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Head Chef

Selkie finishing salts lend a certain flavor when sprinkled on finished foods... More minerals in them usually, and there are a variety of them... I use Himalayan Pink, French Grey, Australian Flake, Trapani Sea Salt (which I use in pasta water also and on fish due to its briny flavor) I get my salts from a store called homegoods... Pick up a few and try them, I think you will be plesently surprised...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #12
Master Chef

Just one corection to what GB said, kosher salt "was used", dear GB I have to tell you it is still beeing used now and every day in koshering of the meat.
Selkie, the mineral content of salt has nothing to do with it's size but rather with how much minerals are left in the salt. Nowadays it is a big business to extarct minerals from salt. There is a whle big market for such minerals.
Acording to some/meny chefs kosher salt read Coarse salt as it is cold in many other countries, is good for cooking and table salt is good to put in a salt shaker to seve at the table, I guess it looks better.
Per valueme the Corase salt is less salty, so do speak, because there are less salt. Big cristals not being uniformly shaped ocupy more space, and thus one should probably use weight for measuring Coarse salt rather than Volume.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Head Chef

There's a pretty good explanation from wikipedia at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher_salt
Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
There's a pretty good explanation from wikipedia at:
Kosher salt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's just what we said!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Master Chef

Interesting thread. I use Kosher salt exclusively, even on the table. I have a beautiful little antique mustard pot for the table, instead of a salt shaker.
Now I'm a little concerned about it not containing iodine, as I have a thyroid condition. Off to "Google".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Off to "Google".
After you finish Googling, please tell us briefly what you found out, as I too, use only Kosher salt.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #17
Head Chef

Interesting stuff on google, depending on your treatment for your thyroid condition, your need for iodine varies. I would consult your doctor.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

If ya need more iodine just have some shellfish and don't worry so much about the salt.

I do use mostly kosher salt, especially for grilling and brining. I went with the diamond crystal as it didn't like an "anti-caking agent" in it.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #19
Flour Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
...I use Himalayan Pink, French Grey, Australian Flake, Trapani Sea Salt (which I use in pasta water also and on fish due to its briny flavor) I get my salts from a store called homegoods...
I have bought assorted Adjustable Grinders of Mediterranean Sea Salt, California Garlic&SeaSalt and Peppercorns from Homegoods too...for 4.99 vs 7.00-9.00...made by Olde Thompson. They're also disposable yet not cheaply made...and easy to manipulate. I bought their Adjustable Grinders of Mediterranean Sea Salt (coarse but adjustable), California Garlic & Sea Salt, and Pepper Supreme. I was just in World Market, in their food section (well, duh, as if I'd think you guyz might look in furniture dept.) and they had the same grinders there. I think Target may carry them too but call first.

On-Topic: I use Sea Salt exclusively now because I like the taste better.
Off-Topic: The Grinders I spoke of above also come in Steak&Burger Seasoning, TexMex-Chipolte, Chicken Seasoning, Italian, GarlicPepper, Orange&LemonPepper, and Malabar Pepper (what's that???)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
Head Chef

salt: kosher, sea, differences - Google Search

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote