Kosher vs. Regular Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All salt is basically the same --99% NaCl.

The flavor differences are in the additives in table salt and the trace minerals in sea salts. There are obvious texture differences.

I almost exclusively use kosher salt. I sometimes use table salt in baking because it dissolves more evenly.

I have several kinds of sea salts (maybe 6 at this point) but only use them as a finishing salt, as the mineral's trace flavor elements are subtle and almost always completely lost when added with other flavor elements.

Plus sea salt is generally much pricier than kosher.

Studies have shown that many people cannot taste the difference between sea and kosher salt, by the way.

I have bought assorted Adjustable Grinders of Mediterranean Sea Salt, California Garlic&SeaSalt and Peppercorns from Homegoods too...for 4.99 vs 7.00-9.00...made by Olde Thompson. They're also disposable yet not cheaply made...and easy to manipulate. I bought their Adjustable Grinders of Mediterranean Sea Salt (coarse but adjustable), California Garlic & Sea Salt, and Pepper Supreme. I was just in World Market, in their food section (well, duh, as if I'd think you guyz might look in furniture dept.) and they had the same grinders there. I think Target may carry them too but call first.

On-Topic: I use Sea Salt exclusively now because I like the taste better.
Off-Topic: The Grinders I spoke of above also come in Steak&Burger Seasoning, TexMex-Chipolte, Chicken Seasoning, Italian, GarlicPepper, Orange&LemonPepper, and Malabar Pepper (what's that???)

Mollyanne the salts are amazing and homegoods has a vast selection of them... Have you seen the salts blocks with their own microplane??? That will be my next salt investment, call me crazy!!! :wacko::wacko::wacko:

That's just what we said!
I did a scan for 'wikipedia' before I posted the link and another just now, and can't find a previous post of it, so what's the problem? Even if it had been posted before I did, what's the problem...there's symmetry and beauty in redundancy!

I did a scan for 'wikipedia' before I posted the link and another just now, and can't find a previous post of it, so what's the problem? Even if it had been posted before I did, what's the problem...there's symmetry and beauty in redundancy!

So to move on MSC, what was your take on what wikipedia had to say, any thoughts on the subject... What is your salt of choice??? :)

No problem at all. My comment was a tongue in cheek comment that posters here had said the same thing as Wiki. Trying to inject a little humor.

I must disagree all salts are not the same, and if you would like to know the difference have a salt tasting, as you would with olive oils, or wine... There is a distinct difference, I think you might surprise your palate... ;):)

As Jenny said, all salts are basically the same, 99% NaCl.

The differences you mention are in the 1% that's NOT sodium chloride.

The other minerals that contribute distinctive flavors are what make finishing salts different. The 99% NaCl is what makes them basically the same.

As Jenny said, all salts are basically the same, 99% NaCl.

The differences you mention are in the 1% that's NOT sodium chloride.

The other minerals that contribute distinctive flavors are what make finishing salts different. The 99% NaCl is what makes them basically the same.

Touche'... However I believe that a person needs to compare flavors rather than just chemisty and that was my point maybe just not stated properly... I think when you make a bold statement like "they are basically the same" that people tend to not want to venture out and taste the difference... There (to me) are differences in salts that lend specific flavors to the dish you use them on... I'm just one person tho... :angel::angel::angel:

Touche'... However I believe that a person needs to compare flavors rather than just chemisty and that was my point maybe just not stated properly... I think when you make a bold statement like "they are basically the same" that people tend to not want to venture out and taste the difference... There (to me) are differences in salts that lend specific flavors to the dish you use them on... I'm just one person tho... :angel::angel::angel:

You're right. Jen also commented that she had at least 6 different finishing salts on hand so she must be aware of the differences.

You're right. Jen also commented that she had at least 6 different finishing salts on hand so she must be aware of the differences.

I'm just saying Andy that all things are basically the same (olive oil, made from olives, wine, made from grapes) but the flavors that they impart on foods are different, and thats what makes the meals we create... :winkiss::winkiss:

I'm just saying Andy that all things are basically the same (olive oil, made from olives, wine, made from grapes) but the flavors that they impart on foods are different, and thats what makes the meals we create... :winkiss::winkiss:

Yes. I agree with you 100%. That's never been in question.

I also think Jenny's post was made just to explain/educate rather than to disagree.

Yes. I agree with you 100%. That's never been in question.

I also think Jenny's post was made just to explain/educate rather than to disagree.

Yes, it was! :)

I do consider my palate to be pretty perceptive and I am a very experienced cook who enjoys a wide variety of good quality ingredients.

I have done taste tests with all kinds of things, including my good sea salts -- who wouldn't? Although my sanity may have been called into question during the fish sauce taste test. :LOL:

I can pick up the mineral's essence in good sea salts. But it is a fact than many people cannot.

IMO, the subtle flavor dimension that makes sea salt different is totally lost when you cook or bake with it, which is why I use it as a finishing salt.

I just came back from a trip to Spain (and brought back some salt, as well as saffron and paprika) and recreated a popular snack we ate there of ciabatta-type bread lightly topped with olive oil and pureed tomato. I finished it with a sprinkle of pink salt. I also love to use sea salt on summer salads from my garden.

So to move on MSC, what was your take on what wikipedia had to say, any thoughts on the subject... What is your salt of choice??? :)
Thank you for asking Mimizkitchen, I think 'eclectic' is the best word to characterize my tastes in salt. For cooking, I usually use kosher salt. For taste, I really like the sea salts as they are so many varieties and taste differences. My current faves are one from Hawaii and one from the Normandy coast.
And LOL, don't bring them with me to restos, so happy to use whatever is on the table.

Thank you SO much for the advice and tips. A lot of cooking really is relative, isn't it?

Personally I love Hawaiian sea salt in my cooking. :) If it is something that would benefit more from fine salt then I use just boring ole salt. I've started using fleur de sel that was brought over from France and it's excellent for cooking as well. I find that the sea salt and fleur de sel add a very subtle (and yet still noticeable) flavor to my cooking. There was a time that I thought salt was just...salt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom