"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #31
Head Chef

[QUOTE=Andy M.;899909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post

You're right. Jen also commented that she had at least 6 different finishing salts on hand so she must be aware of the differences.
I'm just saying Andy that all things are basically the same (olive oil, made from olives, wine, made from grapes) but the flavors that they impart on foods are different, and thats what makes the meals we create...

Old 06-02-2010, 06:06 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

[QUOTE=Mimizkitchen;899910]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I'm just saying Andy that all things are basically the same (olive oil, made from olives, wine, made from grapes) but the flavors that they impart on foods are different, and thats what makes the meals we create...
Yes. I agree with you 100%. That's never been in question.

I also think Jenny's post was made just to explain/educate rather than to disagree.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #33
Head Chef

[QUOTE=Andy M.;899914]
Quote:

I also think Jenny's post was made just to explain/educate rather than to disagree.
Well said, Thank you my friend...
Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #34
Master Chef

[QUOTE=Andy M.;899914]
Quote:

Yes, it was!

I do consider my palate to be pretty perceptive and I am a very experienced cook who enjoys a wide variety of good quality ingredients.

I have done taste tests with all kinds of things, including my good sea salts -- who wouldn't? Although my sanity may have been called into question during the fish sauce taste test.

I can pick up the mineral's essence in good sea salts. But it is a fact than many people cannot.

IMO, the subtle flavor dimension that makes sea salt different is totally lost when you cook or bake with it, which is why I use it as a finishing salt.

I just came back from a trip to Spain (and brought back some salt, as well as saffron and paprika) and recreated a popular snack we ate there of ciabatta-type bread lightly topped with olive oil and pureed tomato. I finished it with a sprinkle of pink salt. I also love to use sea salt on summer salads from my garden.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
So to move on MSC, what was your take on what wikipedia had to say, any thoughts on the subject... What is your salt of choice???
Thank you for asking Mimizkitchen, I think 'eclectic' is the best word to characterize my tastes in salt. For cooking, I usually use kosher salt. For taste, I really like the sea salts as they are so many varieties and taste differences. My current faves are one from Hawaii and one from the Normandy coast.
And LOL, don't bring them with me to restos, so happy to use whatever is on the table.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to yourstrulyewalani
Thank you SO much for the advice and tips. A lot of cooking really is relative, isn't it?

Personally I love Hawaiian sea salt in my cooking. :) If it is something that would benefit more from fine salt then I use just boring ole salt. I've started using fleur de sel that was brought over from France and it's excellent for cooking as well. I find that the sea salt and fleur de sel add a very subtle (and yet still noticeable) flavor to my cooking. There was a time that I thought salt was just...salt.