Kosher vs. Regular Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The kosher salt I've seen is also coarse salt, not fine table salt. So...crystals are bigger.

Besides having larger crystals, as Alix points out, kosher has a slightly sweeter flavor due to a higher mineral content than ordinary table salt. And Sea Salt has more in common with kosher salt than ordinary table salt because of undissolved minerals as well.

Some people can taste the difference, some people can't. There's no right or wrong.

The name kosher is a bit misleading. All salt is kosher. The reason kosher salt is called kosher is because it was used in the koshering process. Because of the size and shape of the crystals the salt would stick to the meat and draw the blood out without just instantly dissolving.

Because of having purchased kosher salt only once... in one HUGE box that's lasted me forever, I did notice that it's more of a flake shape than a round crystal.

try patting kosher salt on a dry steak or burger and then slapping it on a very hot dry skillet.it makes a beautiful crust as it draws just enough juice to caramelize.use high heat and don't touch it till it releases from the cooking surface.i like cast iron and get better results with a flat surface rather than a grill type surface.MANGA!!

typically kosher salt does not have added iodine vs common table salt .iodine is added to prevent thyroid goiters

Kosher salt, since it is a larger grain, measures differently from table salt. A teaspoon of kosher salt will provide less saltiness than a teaspoon of table salt. Not because table salt is saltier but because there is more salt in the spoon since the smaller grains pack more closely together.

Of the most common brands in the US, Diamond Crystal kosher salt has the largest grains, Morton's kosher salt has smaller grains and table salt is the finest grain. For example, a tablespoon of table salt is equal to a tablespoon and a half of Morton's kosher and two tablespoons of Diamond Crystal kosher.

I never use table salt, I use kosher salt for cooking, fine sea salt for baking, and finishing salts for the finished dishes...

Selkie finishing salts lend a certain flavor when sprinkled on finished foods... More minerals in them usually, and there are a variety of them... I use Himalayan Pink, French Grey, Australian Flake, Trapani Sea Salt (which I use in pasta water also and on fish due to its briny flavor) I get my salts from a store called homegoods... Pick up a few and try them, I think you will be plesently surprised... :):):)

Just one corection to what GB said, kosher salt "was used", dear GB I have to tell you it is still beeing used now and every day in koshering of the meat.
Selkie, the mineral content of salt has nothing to do with it's size but rather with how much minerals are left in the salt. Nowadays it is a big business to extarct minerals from salt. There is a whle big market for such minerals.
Acording to some/meny chefs kosher salt read Coarse salt as it is cold in many other countries, is good for cooking and table salt is good to put in a salt shaker to seve at the table, I guess it looks better.
Per valueme the Corase salt is less salty, so do speak, because there are less salt. Big cristals not being uniformly shaped ocupy more space, and thus one should probably use weight for measuring Coarse salt rather than Volume.

Interesting thread. I use Kosher salt exclusively, even on the table. I have a beautiful little antique mustard pot for the table, instead of a salt shaker.
Now I'm a little concerned about it not containing iodine, as I have a thyroid condition. Off to "Google".

Interesting stuff on google, depending on your treatment for your thyroid condition, your need for iodine varies. I would consult your doctor.

If ya need more iodine just have some shellfish and don't worry so much about the salt. :)

I do use mostly kosher salt, especially for grilling and brining. I went with the diamond crystal as it didn't like an "anti-caking agent" in it.

...I use Himalayan Pink, French Grey, Australian Flake, Trapani Sea Salt (which I use in pasta water also and on fish due to its briny flavor) I get my salts from a store called homegoods...:)
I have bought assorted Adjustable Grinders of Mediterranean Sea Salt, California Garlic&SeaSalt and Peppercorns from Homegoods too...for 4.99 vs 7.00-9.00...made by Olde Thompson. They're also disposable yet not cheaply made...and easy to manipulate. I bought their Adjustable Grinders of Mediterranean Sea Salt (coarse but adjustable), California Garlic & Sea Salt, and Pepper Supreme. I was just in World Market, in their food section (well, duh, as if I'd think you guyz might look in furniture dept.) and they had the same grinders there. I think Target may carry them too but call first.

On-Topic: I use Sea Salt exclusively now because I like the taste better.
Off-Topic: The Grinders I spoke of above also come in Steak&Burger Seasoning, TexMex-Chipolte, Chicken Seasoning, Italian, GarlicPepper, Orange&LemonPepper, and Malabar Pepper (what's that???)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom