"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Tax lady adding the lactase is sn interesting idea. If I am using it I have to take it with the first bite of dairy. That means that I can't really taste things as I cook. What I am looking for is a way to get the richness of the higher milk fat products without the unfortunate consequences. And if I could have real whipped cream again that would be a plus. I guess I could use the oil based spray can stuff but it's not the same. I may try your idea about adding lactase to the product some day when I know I'm not going to have to leave the house.
If you have made your cream "lactose free" by putting drops in it and waiting 24 hours for the drops to break down the lactose, you wouldn't need to take the pills. You could add it to whipping cream too. You just have to plan ahead by 24 hours.

According to the blurb for this brand, Amazon.com: Lactase Drops 15 ml - Lactase Enzyme Supplement - 76 Servings - Safe for Infants: Health & Personal Care, "... 5 drops reduces lactose by over 70% in 1 pint of milk over 24 hours". From what I understand, that's about the same level as stuff sold as "lactose free" or "reduced lactose". I'm sure there are many/several brands of lactase.

Yes, it probably is a good idea to test this when you don't have to leave the house.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
Head Chef

Tax lady...thanks so much. I did not know lactase was available in drops. Nor did I know that lactose free products are not completely. lactose free. That explains a lot. I am going to order some drops.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Tax lady...thanks so much. I did not know lactase was available in drops. Nor did I know that lactose free products are not completely. lactose free. That explains a lot. I am going to order some drops.
I hope the drops work well for you.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I thought you might be interested in this info about lactose intolerance... Among other things it lays out a plan to increase tolerance for lactose through a daily regime of drinking small quantities of milk http://dairyspot.com/wp-content/uplo...real_story.pdf

In Canada I've seen Natrel for sale which is a lactose free cream Natrel Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream - Natrel but I'm not sure it's available in the US...
Old 02-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Also, does anyone know if coconut milk has a coconut flavor?

Yes. It tastes like coconut.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post

Yes. It tastes like coconut.
What brand do you use? My Aroy-D coconut milk didn't taste like much of anything in my Tom Kha soup. I bought it at the Asian market.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #17
Master Chef

Joefolk, The product that absolutely doesn't have any dairy in it is Coffee Rich, if you are in CA then they have Coffee Mate. I keep kosher so I have to deal with it all the time. Not sure about Coffee Mate, but Coffee Rich for sure can be used as a heavy cream substitute. There is even suggestion on the carton. Oh, and for whip cream, non-dairy kind, there is a product called Rich's Whip. It's not the same as dairy, but as good as it gets being non-dairy. Both are kosher and carry symbol "Parve" which means that product doesn't have any meat or dairy products in them. Both are true and tested.

P.S. note that majority of so called Non-Dairy toppings, or coffee creamers, or even whip cream have some form of lactose in them. Depending on why you need lactose free you have to be careful, especially if it is allergies you are worried.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #18
Head Chef

CharlieD..Thanks for the heads up. I never thought to look for kosher products. I think we have all of the products you mentioned here. Can't wait to try the coffee rich in my tomato soup...I really miss it. I became lactose intolerant after a surgery six years ago but I am so addicted to dairy products that I have been living with. the consequences but the time had come to make better substitutions so ad not to interfere with a more normal life.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #19
Master Chef

I hate this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Old 02-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #20
Master Chef

http://www.tofutti.com/ check this out, it is all dairy free. Also, whole foods Cary whole line of nondairy sorbet and ice cream. The one I love is pomegranate chocolate chip. I am no big of ice cream, but this stuff is awesome. Also they Cary bunch of fake cheese, I think it is tofu product. Not the same, but ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Discuss Cooking mobile app