Lamb steaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love leg of lamb, too. We usually buy ours from a farm over in Wisconsin once a year. But the down side is that we only get one leg when we buy that way (we buy half a lamb, and the front leg is used for shoulder and foreshank cuts). I usually save that leg for Easter. The rest of the time, I buy it at Sam's Club. They sell New Zealand lamb that's 100% grass fed, and I've found the flavor to be very good. :yum:

There is a farm over in Sandy Hook that has amazing lamb, they practice raising it in low stress environments, its about the best I ever tasted or cooked with... Peter Sepe is the farmers name if anyone is ever in the area you can buy the best meats on the coast from Avon which is an amazing place for great meats..
http://www.avonprimemeats.com/
thats who introduced me to wagyu cuts, man is that the best piece of meat you will ever taste, don't bother salt or pepper just pat it dry and cook it..

Last edited:
I love leg of lamb, too. We usually buy ours from a farm over in Wisconsin once a year. But the down side is that we only get one leg when we buy that way (we buy half a lamb, and the front leg is used for shoulder and foreshank cuts). I usually save that leg for Easter. The rest of the time, I buy it at Sam's Club. They sell New Zealand lamb that's 100% grass fed, and I've found the flavor to be very good. :yum:

I keep thinking about joining Sam's again. We were members until 3 years ago when we moved to the Bahamas. Because the nearest Sam's is in Denver, and we are about 2½ hours away, my wife doesn't think it's worthwhile to pay the $45 membership fee. We used to save more than the membership fee by buying all of our paper goods, cleaning and laundry supplies there. We also bought the bags of frozen chicken parts and other food items that were nonperishable. I may have to join again just for stuff like this that I can't find in any of the local stores.

We can buy good quality beef and pork on the hoof here, but no lamb that I ever heard of.

I keep thinking about joining Sam's again. We were members until 3 years ago when we moved to the Bahamas. Because the nearest Sam's is in Denver, and we are about 2½ hours away, my wife doesn't think it's worthwhile to pay the $45 membership fee. We used to save more than the membership fee by buying all of our paper goods, cleaning and laundry supplies there. We also bought the bags of frozen chicken parts and other food items that were nonperishable. I may have to join again just for stuff like this that I can't find in any of the local stores.

We can buy good quality beef and pork on the hoof here, but no lamb that I ever heard of.

I am ANTI walmart so if we are buying in bulk its bj's and restaurant depot...

I love my meat rare, that is how I did the lamb the first time. I really don't like anything above medium rare. I hate cooking for people who want their steak well done. I can't bring myself to do that.:chef:
It used to almost hurt when I'd have to grill nice, expensive bone-in rib eyes and lamb chops well done for some family members. :ohmy: I've come to realize that's how they like them, they ask for them that way and enjoy them, so that's all that matters. :)

Last edited:
It used to almost hurt when I'd have to grill nice, expensive bone-in rib eyes and lamb chops well done for some family members. :ohmy: I've come to realize that's how they like them, they ask for them that way and enjoy them, so that's all that matters. :)

I'll be honest, I'm like some restaurants. I don't guarantee anything past medium rare (well actually don't guarantee anything, but I can come closer on the rare end of the scale).

I struggled mightily on Christmas this year when I made a rib roast, and most of my wife's family wants it medium to medium well. I took it to about 137°, let it rest, then sliced it and put the pieces from about 2" in on both ends on a different platter from the good slices so they wouldn't have to eat meat contaminated with good juices. :chef:

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I'm like some restaurants. I don't guarantee anything past medium rare (well actually don't guarantee anything, but I can come closer on the rare end of the scale).

I struggled mightily on Christmas this year when I made a rib roast, and most of my wife's family wants it medium to medium well. I took it to about 137°, let it rest, then sliced it and put the pieces from about 2" in on both ends on a different platter from the good slices so they wouldn't have to eat meat contaminated with good juices. :chef:

I think we have the same family. :LOL:

Simple lamb chop marinade I found years ago from who knows where:

1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 Tbsp Rosemary, 1/2 squeezed lemon, 1/2 clove garlic, 1/4 tsp dried Sage, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Feel free to add a bit more garlic as garlic goes so well with lamb.

I do lamb in a marinade similar to Caslon's and often use white wine. And maybe a little lemon pepper. I second lots of garlic.

Leg of lamb is very good but I think shoulder has the edge. There is a little more fat but not too much, which makes it moister and tender, and the meat seems to be "sweeter". I love it boned and rolled round apricot stuffing and roasted.

I cooked the lamb steaks the other day, they came out really good. I think I liked the shoulder steaks a bit better than the leg steaks. The shoulder was just a little bit more tender but they were both good.

What could I replace lemon with? I don't have any and I don't use them often. Wine? Apple cider vinegar?

I'll probably lose my official home chef badge for this, but I keep a bottle of lemon juice around just for this reason.

Barring that anything acid would work, but the taste would be different.

I'll probably lose my official home chef badge for this, but I keep a bottle of lemon juice around just for this reason.

Barring that anything acid would work, but the taste would be different.

Nah, don't sweat it. We all keep emergency supplies on hand. I have a bottle myself that I use for the apples when I am making an apple pie. As I peel and slice the apples, they go into a bowl of ice water with a splash of bottled lemon juice. That bottle is a lot cheaper and less wasteful than a fresh lemon. I use the zest of a lemon for the pie with the seasoning. The juice of the lemon goes into the pie also.

Most of us have a can of mushroom soup, a box or two of pudding mix, a can or two of a veggie, etc. Heck, most of us use store bought bread. :angel:

I always have a bottle of lemon juice and lime juice in the fridge for those emergencies when I need some on the spur of the moment and run short of the fresh squeezed juice.

I really should pick up a bottle of lemon juice. I don't dislike the taste of lemon, but I'm not real fond of it either. It is useful for apples and sun chokes though. I used wine in place of the lemon for my lamb and it was better. I love cooking with wine, hate drinking it.

Nah, don't sweat it. We all keep emergency supplies on hand. I have a bottle myself that I use for the apples when I am making an apple pie. As I peel and slice the apples, they go into a bowl of ice water with a splash of bottled lemon juice. That bottle is a lot cheaper and less wasteful than a fresh lemon. I use the zest of a lemon for the pie with the seasoning. The juice of the lemon goes into the pie also.

Most of us have a can of mushroom soup, a box or two of pudding mix, a can or two of a veggie, etc. Heck, most of us use store bought bread. :angel:
Nigella Lawson says it's OK to use bottled lemon or lime juice :)wink:) so I have a bottle of lime juice for emergencies (not thatI know what constitutes a lime juice emergency :) )

Nigella Lawson says it's OK to use bottled lemon or lime juice :)wink:) so I have a bottle of lime juice for emergencies (not thatI know what constitutes a lime juice emergency :) )

I decide at the last minute to do some nice white fish fillets en papel (I usually do it if oil, but the idea is there), and I suddenly find that I have no lemons or limes.

My favorite way of doing this is with a nice firm fish (grouper or cod or similar - but I have done it with tilapia too), season with S&P and one of several good seafood seasoning blends (I have a couple from Savory Spice Shop that I like), add a ring of onion, a ring of bell pepper, and a slice of tomato, then drizzle lemon or lime butter over it and seal. Bake (or roast, I don't care what you call it ;) ) at about 400 for 15-20 minutes. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom