"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I love leg of lamb, too. We usually buy ours from a farm over in Wisconsin once a year. But the down side is that we only get one leg when we buy that way (we buy half a lamb, and the front leg is used for shoulder and foreshank cuts). I usually save that leg for Easter. The rest of the time, I buy it at Sam's Club. They sell New Zealand lamb that's 100% grass fed, and I've found the flavor to be very good.
There is a farm over in Sandy Hook that has amazing lamb, they practice raising it in low stress environments, its about the best I ever tasted or cooked with... Peter Sepe is the farmers name if anyone is ever in the area you can buy the best meats on the coast from Avon which is an amazing place for great meats..
http://www.avonprimemeats.com/
thats who introduced me to wagyu cuts, man is that the best piece of meat you will ever taste, don't bother salt or pepper just pat it dry and cook it..

Old 02-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
I love leg of lamb, too. We usually buy ours from a farm over in Wisconsin once a year. But the down side is that we only get one leg when we buy that way (we buy half a lamb, and the front leg is used for shoulder and foreshank cuts). I usually save that leg for Easter. The rest of the time, I buy it at Sam's Club. They sell New Zealand lamb that's 100% grass fed, and I've found the flavor to be very good.
I keep thinking about joining Sam's again. We were members until 3 years ago when we moved to the Bahamas. Because the nearest Sam's is in Denver, and we are about 2½ hours away, my wife doesn't think it's worthwhile to pay the $45 membership fee. We used to save more than the membership fee by buying all of our paper goods, cleaning and laundry supplies there. We also bought the bags of frozen chicken parts and other food items that were nonperishable. I may have to join again just for stuff like this that I can't find in any of the local stores.

We can buy good quality beef and pork on the hoof here, but no lamb that I ever heard of.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I keep thinking about joining Sam's again. We were members until 3 years ago when we moved to the Bahamas. Because the nearest Sam's is in Denver, and we are about 2½ hours away, my wife doesn't think it's worthwhile to pay the $45 membership fee. We used to save more than the membership fee by buying all of our paper goods, cleaning and laundry supplies there. We also bought the bags of frozen chicken parts and other food items that were nonperishable. I may have to join again just for stuff like this that I can't find in any of the local stores.

We can buy good quality beef and pork on the hoof here, but no lamb that I ever heard of.
I am ANTI walmart so if we are buying in bulk its bj's and restaurant depot...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annageckos View Post
I love my meat rare, that is how I did the lamb the first time. I really don't like anything above medium rare. I hate cooking for people who want their steak well done. I can't bring myself to do that.
It used to almost hurt when I'd have to grill nice, expensive bone-in rib eyes and lamb chops well done for some family members. I've come to realize that's how they like them, they ask for them that way and enjoy them, so that's all that matters.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
It used to almost hurt when I'd have to grill nice, expensive bone-in rib eyes and lamb chops well done for some family members. I've come to realize that's how they like them, they ask for them that way and enjoy them, so that's all that matters.
I'll be honest, I'm like some restaurants. I don't guarantee anything past medium rare (well actually don't guarantee anything, but I can come closer on the rare end of the scale).

I struggled mightily on Christmas this year when I made a rib roast, and most of my wife's family wants it medium to medium well. I took it to about 137°, let it rest, then sliced it and put the pieces from about 2" in on both ends on a different platter from the good slices so they wouldn't have to eat meat contaminated with good juices.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I'll be honest, I'm like some restaurants. I don't guarantee anything past medium rare (well actually don't guarantee anything, but I can come closer on the rare end of the scale).

I struggled mightily on Christmas this year when I made a rib roast, and most of my wife's family wants it medium to medium well. I took it to about 137°, let it rest, then sliced it and put the pieces from about 2" in on both ends on a different platter from the good slices so they wouldn't have to eat meat contaminated with good juices.
I think we have the same family.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #27
Head Chef

Simple lamb chop marinade I found years ago from who knows where:

1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 Tbsp Rosemary, 1/2 squeezed lemon, 1/2 clove garlic, 1/4 tsp dried Sage, 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Feel free to add a bit more garlic as garlic goes so well with lamb.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:21 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

What could I replace lemon with? I don't have any and I don't use them often. Wine? Apple cider vinegar?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:48 PM   #29
Senior Cook

I do lamb in a marinade similar to Caslon's and often use white wine. And maybe a little lemon pepper. I second lots of garlic.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:10 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Leg of lamb is very good but I think shoulder has the edge. There is a little more fat but not too much, which makes it moister and tender, and the meat seems to be "sweeter". I love it boned and rolled round apricot stuffing and roasted.

Tags
lamb, lamb leg steak, lamb steak, other, steak