"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

I cooked the lamb steaks the other day, they came out really good. I think I liked the shoulder steaks a bit better than the leg steaks. The shoulder was just a little bit more tender but they were both good.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annageckos View Post
What could I replace lemon with? I don't have any and I don't use them often. Wine? Apple cider vinegar?
I'll probably lose my official home chef badge for this, but I keep a bottle of lemon juice around just for this reason.

Barring that anything acid would work, but the taste would be different.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I'll probably lose my official home chef badge for this, but I keep a bottle of lemon juice around just for this reason.

Barring that anything acid would work, but the taste would be different.
Nah, don't sweat it. We all keep emergency supplies on hand. I have a bottle myself that I use for the apples when I am making an apple pie. As I peel and slice the apples, they go into a bowl of ice water with a splash of bottled lemon juice. That bottle is a lot cheaper and less wasteful than a fresh lemon. I use the zest of a lemon for the pie with the seasoning. The juice of the lemon goes into the pie also.

Most of us have a can of mushroom soup, a box or two of pudding mix, a can or two of a veggie, etc. Heck, most of us use store bought bread.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #34
Head Chef

I always have a bottle of lemon juice and lime juice in the fridge for those emergencies when I need some on the spur of the moment and run short of the fresh squeezed juice.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

I really should pick up a bottle of lemon juice. I don't dislike the taste of lemon, but I'm not real fond of it either. It is useful for apples and sun chokes though. I used wine in place of the lemon for my lamb and it was better. I love cooking with wine, hate drinking it.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Nah, don't sweat it. We all keep emergency supplies on hand. I have a bottle myself that I use for the apples when I am making an apple pie. As I peel and slice the apples, they go into a bowl of ice water with a splash of bottled lemon juice. That bottle is a lot cheaper and less wasteful than a fresh lemon. I use the zest of a lemon for the pie with the seasoning. The juice of the lemon goes into the pie also.

Most of us have a can of mushroom soup, a box or two of pudding mix, a can or two of a veggie, etc. Heck, most of us use store bought bread.
Nigella Lawson says it's OK to use bottled lemon or lime juice () so I have a bottle of lime juice for emergencies (not thatI know what constitutes a lime juice emergency )
Old 02-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Nigella Lawson says it's OK to use bottled lemon or lime juice () so I have a bottle of lime juice for emergencies (not thatI know what constitutes a lime juice emergency )
I decide at the last minute to do some nice white fish fillets en papel (I usually do it if oil, but the idea is there), and I suddenly find that I have no lemons or limes.

My favorite way of doing this is with a nice firm fish (grouper or cod or similar - but I have done it with tilapia too), season with S&P and one of several good seafood seasoning blends (I have a couple from Savory Spice Shop that I like), add a ring of onion, a ring of bell pepper, and a slice of tomato, then drizzle lemon or lime butter over it and seal. Bake (or roast, I don't care what you call it ) at about 400 for 15-20 minutes.

Tags
lamb, lamb leg steak, lamb steak, other, steak