Language conversion USA to OZ - Chili Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confused

Assistant Cook
I've been here forty years and it seems I still have a language problem. For a 50-odd years old USA recipe I need what Americans call chili sauce. It is not a hot sauce. Perhaps a piquant sauce defines it better. It is tomato based sauce I think or a straight catsup or tomatoe sauce dressed up. Thank you to anyone who can help unconfuse me.

It's a seasoned ketchup type sauce. It's sold side by side with the ketchup and made by the same companies.

Andy M. is right - here are a couple of recipes:

1 peck tomatoes
9 green peppers
6 med. size onions
3 c. sugar
3/4 c. salt
1 doz. med. red peppers
1 qt. vinegar
3 tsp. cloves, ground
3 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. ginger

or

20 lg. tomatoes (about 9 1/2 lbs.)
6 lg. onions, chopped
3 or 4 green peppers, chopped
1 or 2 sm. peppers, unseeded
4 1/2 c. sugar
4 c. vinegar (5% acidity)
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. ground allspice

For both you just chop everything up and toss it in a pot, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 3-4 hours until thick like ketchup, or tomato sauce as you call it down there.

Thanks guys, but I think I'd better stick with Andy's advice. I only want to make a double recipe at this time. The other two recipes have quanties that would have me renting storage space for it all. If I can find a suitable item somewhere around the catsup shelf here in Australia I'll go that route

LOL - I was just giving you the recipes so you could see what goes into chili sauce - and how it differs from tomato sauce/ketchup. Yep, I just buy a bottle off the grocery store shelves when I need some, too.

Back
Top Bottom