Lasagna help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
OK folks - I am on the hook for a Christmas day bash and the menu centers around Vegetarian Lasagna - I need some tips please...

I rarely make lasagna and have had some less than awesome outcomes in the past (soupy, too dry, bad balance re noodles vs fillings, etc).

Please offer up your best advice and recipes.. I was thinking of making a spinach / chopped artichoke heart sort of filling and am looking for a traditional-ish version with tomato sauce and cheeses.

Can you help?

Tip: I have started using the Barilla or Ronzoni No Boil noodles for my Lasagna and they work great. PLUS no giant pot of boiling noodles, sticking together or breaking etc. and saves ALOT of time. Can't tell the difference taste wise.
I find they also help with the "soupy" problem because they absorb a lot of the liquid.

HIH

Here's a recipe from Food Network

Veggie Lasagna Recipe : Marcela Valladolid : Food Network

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces zucchini (about 1 medium), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
8 ounces yellow squash (about 1 medium), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
1 cup spinach
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray, for spraying the baking dish
One 15-ounce container whole-milk ricotta cheese
Cherry Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Cherry Tomato Sauce:

2 pounds cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1 white onion, roughly chopped

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure we put frozen, thawed and squeeze the liquid from spinach.
You have artichokes too, and that's festive.

And definitely mushrooms, Saute' to release some of the liquid or cook sliced in some butter with a little wine before adding to the lasagna layers.

Here's a recipe from Food Network

Veggie Lasagna Recipe : Marcela Valladolid : Food Network

Ingredients

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 ounces zucchini (about 1 medium), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
8 ounces yellow squash (about 1 medium), sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
1 cup spinach
Cooking spray, for spraying the baking dish
One 15-ounce container whole-milk ricotta cheese
Cherry Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 cup shredded mozzarella

Cherry Tomato Sauce:

2 pounds cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 white onion, roughly chopped
I would say you can add or subtract anything you would like.

I boil my noodles and blot them dry on kitchen towels.

I make spinach lasagna by using a pound of frozen spinach that has been thawed in boiling water and then squeezed completely dry, I mix that with cottage cheese or cream cheese, an egg or two, some shredded mozzarella and some grated Romano cheese, a few herbs, etc...

For the sauce I like to make a traditional thick tomato sauce with one 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes and one small 6 oz can of paste. I would add sauteed mushrooms, crushed garlic, diced onion and diced red bell pepper along with some seasonings including a big pinch or red pepper flakes.

If you want to stick with a strictly cheese layer using ricotta or cottage cheese, drain the cheese overnight in the refrigerator using a sieve lined with a coffee filter. When you make the cheese filling add an egg or two and a 1/4 cup or so of dry seasoned Italian breadcrumbs to take up any remaining moisture in the cheese.

Don't be too generous with the filling and let the lasagna rest when it comes out of the oven for at least a half hour before cutting it.

I think that is going to be my New Years day dinner!

Good luck!

Last edited:
We roast the veges for the lasagna in a single layer, inclduing tomatos, don't make a T sauce, make a bechemel with cheese. Also, I have used the no-bake lasagna noodles, but I have always dipped them in hot/boiling water before layering because otherwise, they just haven't tasted or had the texture of being done.

Peeled
unpeeled
peel-less
??
probably peeled

Barilla no boil noodles recipe from the side of the box with a little extra sauce

A box of frozen chopped spinach squeezed really dry

Not sure about what kind of artichokes you are thinking of but it might make it soupy if they are canned.

Sliced mushrooms cooked through might work better

Instead of noodles, use slices of eggplant, sliced the long way. Lay one layer in one direction, (horizontal) and the next layer in the opposite direction. (vertical). When you take it out of the oven, let it sit for about 15 minutes or more. By layering in opposite directions, it makes the squares of cut lasagna easier to cut and remove it all in one piece.

I have always used ricotta cheese. (Not my favorite, but everyone else likes it.) Possible other fillings for the layers:

Spinach?
Zucchini
Blanched Carrots
Mushrooms
Yellow Squash
Garlic
Red onions sliced thin
Broccoli
Red, yellow green peppers

You want to make it as colorful as possible. Peppers, garlic and onions should be sliced real thin and sautéed in olive oil.

I've used zucchini, sliced lengthwise on a mandolin, for "noodles". Salt them and leave them alone for awhile, then rinse and pat very dry.

Last edited:
For a tomato based vegetarian lasagna, use the thin (1/4 inch) sliced egg plant, gives nice texture after salting and draining. Then follow the meat lasagna sauce recipe, leaving out the meat.

Thanks for all the ideas. Some roasted eggplant sounds like a great addition and the no cook noodles do as well. I'm not willing to forgo the noodle part of this dish entirely however as they are my favorite part.

Next question.. I've looked around at a bunch of recipes and am seeing baking temps all over the map, from 325 to 425. Won't high temps cause the cheese to break?

Before DC food network had forum, there was a professional chef there. I am sorry I don't remember his name, but would like to give credit where credit is due.
This is a bit simplified recipe of his. He used Bechamel sauce in his.

Also I used to hate Lasagna, until I started making this one. It sounds complicated, but it really is not. Also it freezes well, I keep at least two trays in the freezer. It is a s good on the first day as it is in 6 month. Cut recipe into two if you want.

Lasagna

The Filling

3 lbs. Ricotta (cottage cheese works too)
6 eggs
3 tsp. Salt
Pepper to taste
Marinara sauce (Get 3-4 cans as I am not sure how much I use, I always have extra on hand (same with noodles)
1 lb. frozen chopped spinach, drained
1 lb. roasted red peppers, drained (that means you’ll probably have to buy 1.5, so after baking and cleaning you’ll still have 1 lb. Same for mushrooms)
1 lb. sautéed mushrooms
1-2 onions.

15-16 Barilla brand No-Boil lasagna noodles or as many as needed.

Directions:

1. Prepare peppers. I usually oven bake peppers, as it is simple, and easy to remove skin before chopping them up. I cut them in halves, clean them, and bake on the baking **** skin up at about 350 deg. for about 20-30 min. It is not a big deal if it is a bit more or less cooked, just so you can take some skin of. I think it taste better without skin. When skin gets black or dark, but not burn, and almost starts to separate from the pepper, I take them out and take as much skin of as possible. Do not spend too much time to do that. Set aside.
2. Prepare mushrooms. While peppers are in the oven I, chop and sauté in olive oil onions. Add mushrooms, fresh or even canned. Sauté together until mushrooms are very soft, remember the seasoning. Take of the stove, set aside till cools down.
3. Defrost spinach. You do not have to do anything with it.

If you have food processor it’s great, if not you’ll have to do some chopping by hands. I use food processor. Put the peppers, Ricotta, 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt (add some cayenne pepper if you like spicy food and/or some chopped garlic, couple cloves or as much as you would like. Try to use a little the first time so next time you’ll know if you need to add more or not).
Pulse everything together until evenly mixed. If you have to do it by hand chop the peppers first, and then mix in the cheese.
Do the same with mushrooms and then with spinach.

To assemble: I use foil tray I get from Sam’s club 9 X 13, but I’m sure you can get them individually you’ll need 2 of them. I set them side by side and put stuff in at the same time. I found out that it works the best this way, rather then doing each one separately. Also, I think original recipe calls for one tray, but I found out that it is too much food for one tray; it’s easier and faster to do it in 2 trays. Spray the pan with oil or if you do not have can spray just wipe with some olive oil so lasagna doesn’t stick. Put about 2 ladles of sauce on the bottom, kind of spread so it covers the whole surface. Put the noodles to cover the bottom, put half of the pepper mixture into each pan, add more sauce, noodles again, repeat with mushrooms and then spinach. Personally, I think it doesn’t matter what order you put them into the pan. Cover the top layer with sauce and noodles.

For the top layer I spread some sauce on the top put the noodles and then add more sauce on top of the noodles and bake (baking instructions below) then if you are going to eat right away add any shredded cheese you like or any available cheese at the end (last 5-10 minutes) so it melts, but doesn’t get burnt. If you are going to put in the freezer, I do not put cheese on the top and add some when I reheat the lasagna. It freezes very well. Just cut into small portions after it is completely cooled in the refrigerator and put into Ziploc bags. Very convenient quick diner when there is no time for cooking just put into microwave.

Baking:

Place in the middle rack of the preheated oven and bake for about 1 hour until set. Cool for 15 minutes before serving or serve at room temp. Cool completely, wrap and freeze for reheating later.

P.S. When or if serving right away after cooking the lasagna kind of looks very runny, liquidy (is it even a word?), I think it looks better if served the next day. Though it taste equally good on either day.

P.P.S. The Lasagna comes out the best if I use marinara/tomato sauce on the two bottom layers, peppers and mushrooms and Béchamel sauce before and after the last (spinach) layer.

Here's a link to my lasagna recipe. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f20/ms-mofets-baked-meat-lasagna-93734.html

To use as a baking reference.

Preheat oven to 375°F
Cover pan with non-stick foil or spray regular foil with cooking spray to prevent cheese from sticking (or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese).
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Remove foil, and bake an additional 20 minutes or till nicely browned.

Let stand for 15 minutes to set before serving.

IMG_1565.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for all the ideas. Some roasted eggplant sounds like a great addition and the no cook noodles do as well. I'm not willing to forgo the noodle part of this dish entirely however as they are my favorite part.

Next question.. I've looked around at a bunch of recipes and am seeing baking temps all over the map, from 325 to 425. Won't high temps cause the cheese to break?

Janet, over the years whenever I have had a dilemma regarding baking temps, I fall back on my favorite saying. "Low and slow." Except for when searing a tasty steak. It may take longer to cook, but at least you didn't burn the dish or ruin it altogether.

When in doubt - 350 ;)

That was my thought, too, GG. After all, that's the default temperature on newer ovens when you turn a range to "bake". At least it has been in the last two stoves we've had.

Back
Top Bottom