Layering flavors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since i don't salt at all, none of this is a problem to me. i find especially when using canned ingredients, that there is plenty of salt. if my guests need more they can always add it. my doc. says no salt for me, that of course is not possible, but i try. i do use other seasoning as i go however.

Salting as you go vs. salting only at the end will taste different. Try it and see for yourself.

I don't add sugar to tomatoes to hide the acidity as it makes sweet tomato sauce which I dislike. Attack the cause of the problem directly. If the sauce is too acidic, reduce the acidity. A TINY pinch of baking soda in a tomato sauce will neutralize (some of) the acid in the tomato and change the taste significantly. The smallest amount will do. If that's not enough you can always add more. Don't be scared off by the foaming action. It disappears.

Salting as you go vs. salting only at the end will taste different. Try it and see for yourself.

I don't add sugar to tomatoes to hide the acidity as it makes sweet tomato sauce which I dislike. Attack the cause of the problem directly. If the sauce is too acidic, reduce the acidity. A TINY pinch of baking soda in a tomato sauce will neutralize (some of) the acid in the tomato and change the taste significantly. The smallest amount will do. If that's not enough you can always add more. Don't be scared off by the foaming action. It disappears.

Really? I've never tried that. I've never found tomatoes to be unpleasantly acidic though. I think I'm going to give this a go. Experiment time!

Really? I've never tried that. I've never found tomatoes to be unpleasantly acidic though. I think I'm going to give this a go. Experiment time!

I've never found them to be too acidic either. Nor have I found that adding just a bit of sugar produces a sweet spaghetti sauce. It's like adding salt... if you add too much it will affect the taste in a way you might not want. Everything in moderation ;)

I've never found them to be too acidic either. Nor have I found that adding just a bit of sugar produces a sweet spaghetti sauce. It's like adding salt... if you add too much it will affect the taste in a way you might not want. Everything in moderation ;)

Especially moderation!

The only time excess acidity was ever an issue was when I bought a couple of cans of Muir Glen Organic plum tomatoes. They we inedibly acidic so I had to doctor them up to save the sauce.

Fred, I have no issue with your using a touch of sugar. My comment was directed at some of the sweet sauces I've tasted in the past where folks add too much sugar for my taste and like their sauce sweet.

Thanks Andy, but I didn't think you did have an issue.
I just wanted to say, because I've seen it mentioned a few times in this thread, that adding sugar to tomato sauce does not automatically mean the sauce is sweet. It all depends on how much you add. Everytime adding sugar is mentioned it's followed with, I don't do it because I don't like sweet sauce... It's not sweet unless you make it so.

I almost bought some of those muir glen tomatoes to try the other day in my Cioppino, but they did not have a can in the "stewed" variety.

I add a pinch of salt here and there in recipes, but sugar NEVER I adore the acidity of tomatoes and the taste of my pasta gravy comes from onion, garlic and herbs not sugar. Andy like your idea and will give baking soda a try if I run into a problem GEEEEEZ I just bought some Muir Glenn to make pizza sauce :LOL:But then again I find roasting tomatoes with evoo and garlic,salt and pepper gives me a gravy that's out standing.
kades

Back
Top Bottom