Lazy Sunday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Ok, it's confession time.

Arrived home hot and bothered and hungry. Dinner became corned beef hash made with a tin of corned beef, a tin of potatoes and a fried onion all cooked together with some mixed dried herbs with a little water (I like my CB hash to have gravy) and a spoonful of store-bought mango chutney. Accompanied it with frozen brussels sprouts.

(Well, at least the onion was a fresh one)

Talk about lazy! And I call myself a serious cook :ohmy:

Any more lazy Sunday confessions?

Last edited:
Everyone has a lazy day in the kitchen! (I did a lot of my "prep" yesterday, knowing it was going to be another "scorcher" day). Was it really hot "up north"?

(I have far worse lazy kitchen confessions by the way, but I don't think I feel like revealing them!) :blush:

Lazy Sunday here too. I cut up some ham sausage, cheese, pickles and put out smoked oysters and crackers. We called that supper tonight.

Lazy Sunday here too. I cut up some ham sausage, cheese, pickles and put out smoked oysters and crackers. We called that supper tonight.

I have a picture in my album of Ritz and smoked oysters :LOL: Quick dinner or something I called it.
Hey, it works. I had it a couple weeks ago, too. Not sure if it was Sunday or not.

I was going to make chicken pot pie today. Had the oven on yesterday and decided to skip a day. I just rolled together some leftovers and made a burrito with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, onion, cheese. sour cream and jarred salsa. In the Microwave. Dinner in 5 minutes or less. Paper plate food, no mess no clean up. I'm not sure this is lazy, it sure is quick and easy on a hot day.

I was going to make chicken pot pie today. Had the oven on yesterday and decided to skip a day. I just rolled together some leftovers and made a burrito with seasoned ground beef, refried beans, onion, cheese. sour cream and jarred salsa. In the Microwave. Dinner in 5 minutes or less. Paper plate food, no mess no clean up. I'm not sure this is lazy, it sure is quick and easy on a hot day.

Interesting point. What is "lazy" to one person is possibly "hey, look, I cooked!" to another. I cooked a recipe recently that required me to put fish (haddock) in a microwave. I was appalled! But actually it worked very well.

"Lazy" is in the eye of the beholder I think. At the end of the day, you want something tasty to eat sometimes, and don't have the time or energy to spend all day on it.

Nothing wrong with that.

One of the advantages of being retired and living alone is that when I cook it usually makes at least 4 servings. 1 to eat when I make it, 1 in the fridge for later, and 2 in the freezer for a nuked lazy dinner. I only have to mess up the kitchen once and still have 4 meals.

Also, crackers, with spreadable cheddar and smoked oysters feels decadent.

One of the advantages of being retired and living alone is that when I cook it usually makes at least 4 servings. 1 to eat when I make it, 1 in the fridge for later, and 2 in the freezer for a nuked lazy dinner. I only have to mess up the kitchen once and still have 4 meals.

Very cool! :cool:

As for oysters... smoked or otherwise.... I just don't think I am ever going to eat one! (It's a texture thing.) :sick:

Everyone has a lazy day in the kitchen! (I did a lot of my "prep" yesterday, knowing it was going to be another "scorcher" day). Was it really hot "up north"?

(I have far worse lazy kitchen confessions by the way, but I don't think I feel like revealing them!) :blush:
It's been really hot "oop north" all week. The horses are still coming in at night and I'm putting off the mucking out until I go to catch him at about 9pm when it's marginally cooler. I'm running a small fan in the bedroom over night so I an sleep.

It's been really hot "oop north" all week. The horses are still coming in at night and I'm putting off the mucking out until I go to catch him at about 9pm when it's marginally cooler. I'm running a small fan in the bedroom over night so I an sleep.

"oop north"! :LOL: Ee lad! I couldn't have a fan running in the bedroom - the noise would keep me awake just as much as the heat!

Z- you are so right. Even if I try to make a smaller size dish, by the time I get done tinkering and adding a little this or that, it's right back up there enough to feed 4. Nevermind what happens when a recipe says it makes 4 servings. I think I am perfecting the art of findng ways converting leftovers into something else.

Oh yeh. And I love corned beef hash.

Last edited:
Z- you are so right. Even if I try to make a smaller size dish, by the time I get done tinkering and adding a little this or that, it's right back up there enough to feed 4. Nevermind what happens when a recipe says it makes 4 servings. I think I am perfecting the art of findng ways converting leftovers into something else.

Trying to reduce quantities to 2 is bad enough. Down to 1 is completely impossible. I have a cookery book "Step by Step - Cooking for One" and talk about depressing!

Much better to cook a proper recipe and freeze what you don't use.

KatyCooks, you've never tried an oyster? The texture isn't slimy as you'd expect. They're mighty tasty. If you don't like looking at them, just pop a pickle slice on top. Killer.

KatyCooks, you've never tried an oyster? The texture isn't slimy as you'd expect. They're mighty tasty. If you don't like looking at them, just pop a pickle slice on top. Killer.

I'm not saying I won't ever Alix, but it isn't something I am beating a path to! :LOL:

Anyway, I'm off to bed! Goodnight to the "Freds" and to everybody else!

Katy x

I'm not saying I won't ever Alix, but it isn't something I am beating a path to! :LOL:

Anyway, I'm off to bed! Goodnight to the "Freds" and to everybody else!

Katy x

Oh, and my name is actually.... Kathryn. But I prefer Katy. Don't you?

I regularly make "planned leftovers". Quite often I'll cook for 4, then hope there IS enough for two more servings when supper is done. Himself has a very bad "just a little more" problem... I've gotten to the point where I will put away most of what is left after we each take our first serving. When there isn't much left behind he tends to feel bad and leave most of the rest...then I whisk it off into the container in the fridge. Evil, I know! Sometimes we have leftovers so often he accuses me of being able to buy them at the store. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom