Leaf fat, and back fat, and cracklings, oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
I just have to brag. I went to a real old fashioned butcher and they sold me ten lbs of leaf fat to make pastry lard, seven lbs of pork belly to make American bacon, and a large bag (a least 4 cups) of piggy cracklings! I tried convince hubby that the cracklings won't be any good but being a farmer's son he called bull. Teehee! He already has plans for the homemade bacon I'm going to cure and smoke on my smoker this summer. We already have friends begging for some but they'll have to wrestle my husband for it. I see corn bread in my future!

I just have to brag. I went to a real old fashioned butcher and they sold me ten lbs of leaf fat to make pastry lard, seven lbs of pork belly to make American bacon, and a large bag (a least 4 cups) of piggy cracklings! I tried convince hubby that the cracklings won't be any good but being a farmer's son he called bull. Teehee! He already has plans for the homemade bacon I'm going to cure and smoke on my smoker this summer. We already have friends begging for some but they'll have to wrestle my husband for it. I see corn bread in my future!

And just where do you live? I need to practice my stealth skills anyways.;):LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hubby's planning on keeping it in a locked freezer, in the basement, in a disused bathroom of an abandoned warehouse, with the sign on the door saying beware of Jaguar (paraphrasing The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galexy).

I couldn't believe my good fortune finding a really good butcher! Thanks for the link Aunt Bea!

Back
Top Bottom