Learning about the history of food service, sanitation, and food safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(a) it's not the law - it is a public housing / HUD regulation..

Addie is absolutely right that there is a Massachusetts state law limiting the hot water temperature.

248 CMR 10.14(3)(a)(3) states "The maximum temperature of the domestic hot water in residential buildings shall not exceed 130F."

Addie is absolutely right that there is a Massachusetts state law limiting the hot water temperature.

248 CMR 10.14(3)(a)(3) states "The maximum temperature of the domestic hot water in residential buildings shall not exceed 130F."

now please cite the Mass law that says the occupant may not increase the temperature.

the law specifies the max temperature a licensed individual may set.

if one opts to install an instant sink-side heater delivering 185'F water, there is no prohibition of the sale, installation, or use of such a device.

don't misunderstand my point - it is quite clear public policy/law is established to prevent people from becoming injured by overly hot water. there is however no law that prohibits a person from making their own hot water hotter than public law allows within their domicile.

the law only prohibits the owner/landlord to set the temperature of delivered hot water higher than xxx'F

now please cite the Mass law that says the occupant may not increase the temperature.

the law specifies the max temperature a licensed individual may set.

if one opts to install an instant sink-side heater delivering 185'F water, there is no prohibition of the sale, installation, or use of such a device.

don't misunderstand my point - it is quite clear public policy/law is established to prevent people from becoming injured by overly hot water. there is however no law that prohibits a person from making their own hot water hotter than public law allows within their domicile.

the law only prohibits the owner/landlord to set the temperature of delivered hot water higher than xxx'F
Exactly my point. The tenant may be violating the lease if the lease stipulates that the tenant cannot set the temperature of delivered hot water above 130F (for the state of MA). It would not stop me, as a homeowner, from setting the hot water temp in my house to whatever temperature I desire. I find 120 is plenty hot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom