"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-06-2015, 03:39 AM   #21
Master Chef

Nothing you just said has anything to do with the subject at hand.

You are simply trying to justify willfully breaking the law on government property by your actions. Guess what..you are wrong.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Nothing you just said has anything to do with the subject at hand.

You are simply trying to justify willfully breaking the law on government property by your actions. Guess what..you are wrong.
And so is HUD. And they are the government.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:17 AM   #23
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I take Addie's point. If rules are to be obeyed then you would at least expect the issuing authority to abide by their OWN rules! If they flagrantly breach these, then they automatically forfeit their right for such rules to be respected. It's a no brainer as far as I am concerned.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Two wrongs don't make a right, or so the old saying goes. The law is the law. The fact that someone else breaks it doesn't make it okay for you to do so.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Getting back to food safety. Handling of raw materials and their storage is key. Keeping foods refrigerated until ready for use and being aware of the food danger zone of temperatures is probably responsible for a large percentage of issues.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Creative. If the tenants in this building abided by the rules that are in place by HUD (Housing Urban Development) and made no repairs on their own, then this building would become a slum real quick. Kayelle fails to realize that we ALL come here to die. We can't make the repairs our self. Not when the average age here is 85. So when any of us have children that do not want to see their parents die in a slum, then they make the repairs for them. I am very fortunate I have two children that are in the trades. One is a contractor and the other is a plumber. Any repairs that I have them make are done at the expense of my kids, not HUD. Sometimes when I hear of a tenant that can't open the window in order to get some fresh, I ask Spike to put some graphite on their window tracks. He does it willingly. At no cost to the tenant or me. He pays for the graphite out of his own pocket. That is the job for maintenance to do. Maintenance is paid by HUD.

We have two inspections of our apartments each year. One by maintenance and one by HUD. Maintenance saw that the toilet seat was completely broken off. Fortunately, Spike had already bought a new and better one and was going to install it that night. They marked it on the sheet that the seat needed to be replaced, but no mention of when. I didn't tell them about Spike having already bought one and was going to fix it that night. I still haven't heard a word about them giving me a new one. That was in May. Hud will be here in August. I should take off the seat and let them see what is written on my copy of what needed to be replaced. BTW, we have a law in this state, that every time there is a change in tenancy, the toilet seat is to be replaced. That has NEVER happened since this building has been opened for senior citizens.

When my toilet was leaking, I noticed that there was mold growing on the floor around the toilet. Each day it got bigger. Maintenance tried to tell me it was my dirt. I needed to wash the floor more often. I ended up calling the Mayor's Office for the Elderly and put in a complaint. Within two hours maintenance was here and they removed the toilet and saw that the wax ring was completely worn away and that they could smell the mold. It got fixed along with a whole new floor. I shouldn't have had to call the Mayor's office at all.

I can't stand to see these tenants going without when it is not necessary. I will admit I can be a trouble maker. I am the one that every new tenant that moves in, comes to for an application for food stamps. I am the one they come to when they need something fixed and maintenance will not do it. I tell them how to go about getting it done.

It is bad enough knowing that we all come here to die. Let us die in dignity.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

None of that is the issue, Addie. This is the issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
For this building, it is illegal to adjust the shower temperature. We have a state law that states what the temp. should be and the hottest temp is allowed. I personally think the kitchen sink temp is now too high. But I am not complaining. But every time HUD schedules an inspection, he has to lower the temp in both places and then turn them up again after the inspection is done.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:10 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Getting back to food safety. Handling of raw materials and their storage is key. Keeping foods refrigerated until ready for use and being aware of the food danger zone of temperatures is probably responsible for a large percentage of issues.
Andy, you are so right. I just got back from my big shopping for the month. The very last place in the store I go to is the freezer and fridge products. Then I head for the register to cash out. My son also has a cooler in his vehicle so I can put the frozen and fridge stuff in it on the way home.

With the two of us shopping together for our individual homes, he stops at my home first and the fridge and freezer items are right on top. They get put away immediately while he removes the rest of my groceries. At my age, I can't mess around with food.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #29
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
None of that is the issue, Addie. This is the issue:
GG and what are your thoughts re. this....

every time HUD schedules an inspection, he has to lower the temp in both places and then turn them up again after the inspection is done.

Can you respect such a disgraceful practise? You say 2 wrongs don't make a right but, equally, such underhanded tactics forfeit the right to command respect in the first place!! I would have no qualms in doing what Addie did....sometimes common sense and/or a need to make a situation more amenable/practical is bypassed in the robotic tendency to obey rules at any cost. Hmmm
Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #30
Head Chef

Lightbulb

You can buy freezer bags which are designed to keep food cool until you get it home. I have a small one but rarely use it.

However, a little tip I would like to pass on is this. When I buy fresh meat/fish, at the checkout I place it in a plastic bag that has some other chilled item, e.g. milk so that it acts as a cooling agent until I get it home.

Tags
food, food safety