"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I hear the vacuum thingies calling me with irresistible voices. Using non-vacuum methods of packing I find that cold sliced meats don't freeze very successfully unless they are in in sauce or gravy. How do they behave when they are vac sealed as slices, for sandwiches without gravy?
Very well IMO, MC. I've had my vacuum sealer for 6 or 7 years now and it's still going strong. It cost $140 when I bought it. The bags are kind of spendy, but deals can be found. Like you, I live alone and have to find ways to use up a 3lb roast, or a large rotisserie chicken.

I vacuum froze leftover medium rare slices of tri tip last month, and took a package out for sandwiches yesterday. I didn't notice any decrease in quality. I wouldn't expect great quality for long term freezing of meats, but for short term I think they work great.

I just sealed and froze 2 small packages of sliced liverwurst that I bought on impulse - I love liverwurst , we'll see how they freeze....I've never tried freezing that before.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Very well IMO, MC. I've had my vacuum sealer for 6 or 7 years now and it's still going strong. It cost $140 when I bought it. The bags are kind of spendy, but deals can be found. Like you, I live alone and have to find ways to use up a 3lb roast, or a large rotisserie chicken.

I vacuum froze leftover medium rare slices of tri tip last month, and took a package out for sandwiches yesterday. I didn't notice any decrease in quality. I wouldn't expect great quality for long term freezing of meats, but for short term I think they work great.

I just sealed and froze 2 small packages of sliced liverwurst that I bought on impulse - I love liverwurst , we'll see how they freeze....I've never tried freezing that before.
Thanks, Cheryl. I think I'll invest when I'm in funds again.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Thanks, Cheryl. I think I'll invest when I'm in funds again.
Alternately, you can still buy hand held Reynolds Handi-Vac tool ($9.99) and buy the vacuum bags made by Ziplock. The hand held battery operated vacuum by Reynolds (Handi-Vac) are still available, tho Reynolds has stopped production of their vacuum bags. However, Ziplock came out with a hand pump and they still sell their vacuum bags. To use Ziplock vacuum bags with the handheld Handi-Vac vacuum tool, place the suction nozzle off to the side of the bags suction hole a bit. It draws the air out just fine.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
Master Chef

Sucking air out of vaccum sealed food bag, that's what lungs are for.
Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Three days for leftover meat and it goes on the plate for Teddy. After that the rest of leftovers - down the sink to be ground up.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Some things I use the "planned over" method. We eat it one day as original. After that I may use it two or three different ways and may put some of it in the freezer to give me a head start at another time. We aren't like my sister's grandchild after having the big meal at noon and were having leftovers for supper. He told her "no thanks, I've already had that one time today.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I bought a piece of pork that was a Manager's Special. It wasn't pretty enough to be cut into two pork chops and it was too big to just throw away. So I seasoned it and tossed it in the oven for a small pork roast. I made a big pot of seasoned rice. (One way of getting food into me.) There is enough left over to make fried rice. The pork was nice and tender with great taste. And I used a spoonful of the Better Than Bullion (Beef) for the rice. Then I opened a McCormick Brown Gravy. Left over gravy also. Will be good over some toast. All the meat is gone. So my leftovers are all planned and taken care of. I like rice more than potatoes. So I shouldn't have any trouble eating the leftovers.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Rob eats any and all leftovers, he doesn't let anything go to waste. I'm not a big fan of leftovers except for a few things.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Rob eats any and all leftovers, he doesn't let anything go to waste. I'm not a big fan of leftovers except for a few things.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Oh and I have to watch him, he doesn't really think about how old something is. A couple months ago I ask him what he's eating. He tells me that it was a biscuit, well I hadn't made biscuits, it was a week old biscuit that he brought back from Disney, yes he squirreled away a biscuit and brought it home...

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Left over nellies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Oh and I have to watch him, he doesn't really think about how old something is. A couple months ago I ask him what he's eating. He tells me that it was a biscuit, well I hadn't made biscuits, it was a week old biscuit that he brought back from Disney, yes he squirreled away a biscuit and brought it home...

Bakechef, I can just picture you slapping it out of Rob's hand. "Get that out of your mouth!"

When you wish upon a star...or a biscuit.