Left over nellies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ROFLMAO: Bakechef, I can just picture you slapping it out of Rob's hand. "Get that out of your mouth!"

When you wish upon a star...or a biscuit.

I just let him eat it, he has an iron stomach anyway!

On our last trip to Vegas we had a very late dinner at the Mirage buffet. After we were done we all crammed into the rental car. We're on one of the roads behind the strip when somebody says "I smell cheese", rob had squirreled away cubes of smoked Gouda cheese in his shirt pocket and was nibbling on them in the back seat. There are so many stories like this.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Rob eats any and all leftovers, he doesn't let anything go to waste. I'm not a big fan of leftovers except for a few things.

In our family, we call the members like Rob, "the family disposal." My BIL was one. My sister was out shopping. Her husband came home looking for something to eat. Not much in the house. He found an old head of lettuce and put some marshmallow fluff on it. That is a recipe we have never repeated. It was all he could find until my sister got home with the weeks groceries. :angel:

On our last trip to Vegas we had a very late dinner at the Mirage buffet. After we were done we all crammed into the rental car. We're on one of the roads behind the strip when somebody says "I smell cheese", rob had squirreled away cubes of smoked Gouda cheese in his shirt pocket and was nibbling on them in the back seat. There are so many stories like this.

:LOL: Suppose it was better than smelling someone cutting the cheese...

BC, Sounds like you have a marriage made in heaven. You not only got a lifetime mate, but a child in the making. And you don't even have to change diapers. :angel:

He found an old head of lettuce and put some marshmallow fluff on it. That is a recipe we have never repeated. :angel:

I can understand this recipe not being repeated. :sick:

But to each his/her own and tastes do vary. :rolleyes:

:LOL: Suppose it was better than smelling someone cutting the cheese...

What you talk'in bout Willis? I just cut some Swiss for my sandwich and it smelled fine. :)

Oh wait, I know what you're inferring. :eek:

Shame on you. ;)

I aim for two, but will go three. After that, it's unlikely. If I've been eating it for three days, I'm so sick of it that it's not heartbreaking to dump.

I have two dogs and a cat. I don't worry about leftovers older than 3 days, because they never last that long.
But the big solution I've found, for me, is that I've learned to cook just for two with no leftovers.

If it's something like soup or stew, that can be heated to boiling every day, it can last a long time. I had to use that method when my freezer was one of those little ones for ice cubes and ice cream.

I quite enjoy the challenge of what can be made from left overs. I can invariably come up with something (the easiest one being incorporating the food item into a pasta sauce).

Since I lost my sense of smell, I go strictly by the food storage list I have of food items (i.e. how long they can be kept for in fridge and, some, in freezer).

Today I had some marindaded chicken leftover but only ate it with ciabatta style bread (needed to be used up). The french bean 'salad' however, I added into a carrot & ginger soup I made earlier that day.

Last edited:
I just read an interesting article on Serious Eats about "The Neverending Soup Pot". The author explains about how he starts the week with a simple, almost broth simmering on the stove, gradually adding different leftovers throughout the week to completely change the taste profile of the soup from day to day.

If anyone is interested in reading it, just click here: The Neverending Soup Pot

I just read an interesting article on Serious Eats about "The Neverending Soup Pot". The author explains about how he starts the week with a simple, almost broth simmering on the stove, gradually adding different leftovers throughout the week to completely change the taste profile of the soup from day to day.

If anyone is interested in reading it, just click here: The Neverending Soup Pot

That's what used to be done with porridge, if memory serves me correctly. It was just kept going over the hearth from day to day, with new things added to it each day.

There would be limitations to this theme though. You'd have to keep track of the flavor profile so as not to add something that just didn't fit with whatever was already there.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sounds like you would end up with the sort of pot that we had at the end of the Quetico canoe trips I took when I was in high school. On the last night we had what was called "Border Stew". We were about to cross back into the US from Canada, we'd been paddling 7 days in the northwoods, and we had just about depleted our food stocks. This was in the early 1960s, before the advent of freeze dried trail foods - dinners were a creative mix salami, summer sausage, canned ham, rice, flour, cheese, and other foods that wouldn't spoil in 8 days without refrigeration; as well as any fish we caught along the way. On the last night, we dumped most of what was left in the food packs into the pot, seasoned it, cooked it, added any remaining cheese and let it simmer down until the spoon would stand straight up by itself. Border Stew was ready to eat. Trust me when I say that after 7 days paddling and portaging, 18 teenaged boys will eat anything you put in front of them, no matter how finicky they might be at home.

Last edited:

Thanks, interesting article.

Similar to the soup bucket.

Cheap | Kitchen Bucket Soup Recipe | Recipe4Living

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom