"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #1
Head Chef

Left over nellies

How picky are you with left overs? My husband who really doesn't know much about cooking or food has this big 3 day rule regarding left overs. I know it can depend on what it is. But I'm pretty sure there are many left overs that are still good after three days. Of course I'm talking cooked food. I actually get more nervous about food that is uncooked in the refrigerator going too long. Then there is a cold cuts. Yes, that could be a sensitive subject, but even those don't have to be thrown away after 3 days.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
Head Chef

3 days is about my limit for most leftovers in the fridge. I try and flash freeze leftovers before those 3 days and then vacuum wrap them and freeze them.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:59 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
3 days is about my limit for most leftovers in the fridge. I try and flash freeze leftovers before those 3 days and then vacuum wrap them and freeze them.
Edit: I meant...freeze and vacuum those things that can be reheated well, like slices off a roast that I can't finish and want to keep from browning out.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 AM   #4
Master Chef

3 days is the standard at my house.

I also use the freezer for short term storage of leftovers.

Like all rules I break them from time to time.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Master Chef

I've eaten some leftovers as long as a week later with no issues. If they are stored properly in the fridge. But then, I keep my fridge at 33', one degree above freezing.

Seeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #6
Head Chef

Depends on what it is. Lots of things are easily good for 5 or 6 days, although I prefer no more than 4. I had some leftover cauliflower the other day that had been in the fridge for for a week and it was still good. Things like packaged cold cut (think Oscar Mayer) are good for weeks. I've eaten processed ham and bologna that's 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge after opening with no problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I've eaten some leftovers as long as a week later with no issues. If they are stored properly in the fridge. But then, I keep my fridge at 33', one degree above freezing.

Seeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North
I've not succumbed to food poisoning keeping leftovers in a cool fridge. Meatloaf? 7 days max. Roasted Chicken? 6 days max...
Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #8
Master Chef

No more than three days for me, but Steve will eat leftovers a week old. I bet he'd eat them older than that but I trash them before he can.

I actually plan leftovers for lunches and they rarely last more than three days.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have airtight containers that will vacuum seal themselves if closed when the food is hot. Those stay in the fridge nicely for a week until opened, then three days max. I utilize the freezer for anything I want to keep longer.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I hear the vacuum thingies calling me with irresistible voices. Using non-vacuum methods of packing I find that cold sliced meats don't freeze very successfully unless they are in in sauce or gravy. How do they behave when they are vac sealed as slices, for sandwiches without gravy?