Left over nellies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
How picky are you with left overs? My husband who really doesn't know much about cooking or food has this big 3 day rule regarding left overs. I know it can depend on what it is. But I'm pretty sure there are many left overs that are still good after three days. Of course I'm talking cooked food. I actually get more nervous about food that is uncooked in the refrigerator going too long. Then there is a cold cuts. Yes, that could be a sensitive subject, but even those don't have to be thrown away after 3 days.

3 days is about my limit for most leftovers in the fridge. I try and flash freeze leftovers before those 3 days and then vacuum wrap them and freeze them.

3 days is about my limit for most leftovers in the fridge. I try and flash freeze leftovers before those 3 days and then vacuum wrap them and freeze them.

Edit: I meant...freeze and vacuum those things that can be reheated well, like slices off a roast that I can't finish and want to keep from browning out.

Last edited:
3 days is the standard at my house.

I also use the freezer for short term storage of leftovers.

Like all rules I break them from time to time.

I've eaten some leftovers as long as a week later with no issues. If they are stored properly in the fridge. But then, I keep my fridge at 33', one degree above freezing.

Seeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Depends on what it is. Lots of things are easily good for 5 or 6 days, although I prefer no more than 4. I had some leftover cauliflower the other day that had been in the fridge for for a week and it was still good. Things like packaged cold cut (think Oscar Mayer) are good for weeks. I've eaten processed ham and bologna that's 3 or 4 weeks in the fridge after opening with no problem.

No more than three days for me, but Steve will eat leftovers a week old. I bet he'd eat them older than that but I trash them before he can. ;)

I actually plan leftovers for lunches and they rarely last more than three days.

I have airtight containers that will vacuum seal themselves if closed when the food is hot. Those stay in the fridge nicely for a week until opened, then three days max. I utilize the freezer for anything I want to keep longer.

I hear the vacuum thingies calling me with irresistible voices. Using non-vacuum methods of packing I find that cold sliced meats don't freeze very successfully unless they are in in sauce or gravy. How do they behave when they are vac sealed as slices, for sandwiches without gravy?

Last edited:
I hear the vacuum thingies calling me with irresistible voices. Using non-vacuum methods of packing I find that cold sliced meats don't freeze very successfully unless they are in in sauce or gravy. How do they behave when they are vac sealed as slices, for sandwiches without gravy?

Very well IMO, MC. :) I've had my vacuum sealer for 6 or 7 years now and it's still going strong. It cost $140 when I bought it. The bags are kind of spendy, but deals can be found. Like you, I live alone and have to find ways to use up a 3lb roast, or a large rotisserie chicken.

I vacuum froze leftover medium rare slices of tri tip last month, and took a package out for sandwiches yesterday. I didn't notice any decrease in quality. I wouldn't expect great quality for long term freezing of meats, but for short term I think they work great.

I just sealed and froze 2 small packages of sliced liverwurst that I bought on impulse - I love liverwurst :LOL:, we'll see how they freeze....I've never tried freezing that before. :ermm::LOL:

Very well IMO, MC. :) I've had my vacuum sealer for 6 or 7 years now and it's still going strong. It cost $140 when I bought it. The bags are kind of spendy, but deals can be found. Like you, I live alone and have to find ways to use up a 3lb roast, or a large rotisserie chicken.

I vacuum froze leftover medium rare slices of tri tip last month, and took a package out for sandwiches yesterday. I didn't notice any decrease in quality. I wouldn't expect great quality for long term freezing of meats, but for short term I think they work great.

I just sealed and froze 2 small packages of sliced liverwurst that I bought on impulse - I love liverwurst :LOL:, we'll see how they freeze....I've never tried freezing that before. :ermm::LOL:
Thanks, Cheryl. I think I'll invest when I'm in funds again.

Thanks, Cheryl. I think I'll invest when I'm in funds again.

Alternately, you can still buy hand held Reynolds Handi-Vac tool ($9.99) and buy the vacuum bags made by Ziplock. The hand held battery operated vacuum by Reynolds (Handi-Vac) are still available, tho Reynolds has stopped production of their vacuum bags. However, Ziplock came out with a hand pump and they still sell their vacuum bags. To use Ziplock vacuum bags with the handheld Handi-Vac vacuum tool, place the suction nozzle off to the side of the bags suction hole a bit. It draws the air out just fine.

Last edited:
Three days for leftover meat and it goes on the plate for Teddy. After that the rest of leftovers - down the sink to be ground up. :angel:

Some things I use the "planned over" method. We eat it one day as original. After that I may use it two or three different ways and may put some of it in the freezer to give me a head start at another time. We aren't like my sister's grandchild after having the big meal at noon and were having leftovers for supper. He told her "no thanks, I've already had that one time today.

I bought a piece of pork that was a Manager's Special. It wasn't pretty enough to be cut into two pork chops and it was too big to just throw away. So I seasoned it and tossed it in the oven for a small pork roast. I made a big pot of seasoned rice. (One way of getting food into me.) There is enough left over to make fried rice. The pork was nice and tender with great taste. And I used a spoonful of the Better Than Bullion (Beef) for the rice. Then I opened a McCormick Brown Gravy. Left over gravy also. Will be good over some toast. All the meat is gone. So my leftovers are all planned and taken care of. I like rice more than potatoes. So I shouldn't have any trouble eating the leftovers. :angel:

Rob eats any and all leftovers, he doesn't let anything go to waste. I'm not a big fan of leftovers except for a few things.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Rob eats any and all leftovers, he doesn't let anything go to waste. I'm not a big fan of leftovers except for a few things.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Oh and I have to watch him, he doesn't really think about how old something is. A couple months ago I ask him what he's eating. He tells me that it was a biscuit, well I hadn't made biscuits, it was a week old biscuit that he brought back from Disney, yes he squirreled away a biscuit and brought it home...

Oh and I have to watch him, he doesn't really think about how old something is. A couple months ago I ask him what he's eating. He tells me that it was a biscuit, well I hadn't made biscuits, it was a week old biscuit that he brought back from Disney, yes he squirreled away a biscuit and brought it home...

:ROFLMAO: Bakechef, I can just picture you slapping it out of Rob's hand. "Get that out of your mouth!"

When you wish upon a star...or a biscuit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom