"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I make any kind of roast, I try to make enough to have leftovers. I use them as cold cuts. No strange chemicals in those cold cuts as opposed to the ones from the store.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Another idea is a stir-fry - saute garlic, cabbage, onions, bell peppers and shredded carrots until just bite-tender then toss in the leftover pork, diced, and toss with linguine. If you like spicer, you could add jalapenos or serranos to the saute.

Here's another idea - I'll just post the recipe since it will give you a better idea for quantities. it's from one of my cookbooks. Don't let the long list intimidate, everything goes together so fast - it is a great weeknight dinner.

Open-Face Hunan Pork Sandwich
Making use of leftover pork, ham, and bread

While this is a wonderful sandwich, we also love the pork and sauce over rice, noodles and mashed potatoes ~ I think my husband would top a cookie with it. The sandwich is a take off of a recipe from my favorite magazine, Cuisine at Home.

1/2 cup Hoisin sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons ketchup
2 Tablespoons chili garlic sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 lb. julienned or thinly sliced pieces of leftover pork
Salt and pepper to taste
4 slices of crusty bread cut about 1-inch thick
1 Tablespoon butter, softened
Shredded lettuce
1/2 cup chopped green onions

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Combine in a small bowl the Hoisin sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic sauce and rice vinegar; set aside. In a non-stick skillet, over medium-low heat, sauté the ginger in oil for 1 minute until it is fragrant; add the pork along with Hoisin sauce mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Cook just until heated through. Butter one side of each slice of bread; place on a baking sheet and brown in a 450° F. oven until nicely browned.

On four plates start layering with the slice of toast; divide the sliced pork between the plates; top with the shredded lettuce and the green onions. Drizzle any remaining sauce over the sandwich. Makes 4 servings.

an old cook, still learning new tricks!
cjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Executive Chef
I am doing just that. Stir fry with leftover steak and broccoli. Fortunately, we eat our steak blue around here so there is lots of life(bad joke, I know) left in it for second cooking. I keep it simple and add, ginger, garlic, onion then a sauce made from water, cornstarch, oyster sauce and a few drops of sesame oil. Served on a bit of rice or noodles....
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Master Chef
You could chop up the pork and make pork and potato hash, slice the pork thinly and make pork and crisp salad baguettes, shred with some added shredded veggies and make spring rolls, add some fried mushroom, onions, paprika, sour or regular cream and serve with pasta, add some to scrambled eggs and serve for lunch etc. etc

"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote