Leftover grilled dogs, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

granniero

Cook
I have 40 leftover, grilled hot dogs. I'm afraid if I freeze and try to save, they will be more rubbery than already. Any ideas ? Thanks !

Unless you're donating them or feeding a very big group, you'll have to either freeze them or toss them.

I have 40 leftover, grilled hot dogs. I'm afraid if I freeze and try to save, they will be more rubbery than already. Any ideas ? Thanks !
hi granniero
if you've still got them,make up a big batch of marinara sauce,let it cool,chop up as many of the dogs as you want,mix into the marinara then freeze in portion sizes.the acids in the tomatoes will tenderise the dogs & you've got quick & easy meals with pasta,fries,mashed potato etc etc.
the rest? i dunno:LOL:!
harry

Beanie Weenie is always an option. :)
+1

I was going to recommend baked beans. Steve, you beat me to it.:D

Also, any dish you can make with steamed or boiled hot dogs wold be fine, even if you freeze them before using them. Think a big batch of sour kraut and hot dogs, all steamed together and served up on a good bun, or added to a pasta soup. The grilled flavor will just add to the overall flavor of the dish.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Freeze some of them and use some in a pot of pinto beans.Freezing shouldn't hurt them any.

kades

Have an early Cinco de Mayo party. Slice them in coins, wrap them in a tortilla, top with baked beans, diced onion & shredded cheese.

Slice in coins & add to cooked macaroni and cheese, or omelettes with green peppers, shredded cheddar cheese, and onions.

Mock low country boil. Boil some corn on the cob & red potatoes. Toss your dogs in at end end to heat through.

That's all I got.

Last edited:
Use some to make Frank's grandmother's "ham salad". There you have it-- Frank Salad. ( Puns intended):LOL:

I was thinking along this line too. Put them through a meat grinder and mix it up with some other ingredients (mayo, onion, relish, etc) and make a sandwich spread. After grinding them up, you could freeze and add to things like spaghetti sauce, chili soup, potato soup etc.

For the time being I'd freeze them - they'll be fine.

For options on using them -

Cut into 2"-3" long pieces, but a pkge. of Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough & make "Pigs In A Blanket".

Slice up & add to your favorite homemade or commercial baked beans.

Slice up & add to your favorite baked mac & cheese recipe.

Slice up & add to your favorite Split-Pea or Black Bean or any Bean Soup recipe.

Leave whole, nuke, & enjoy some Chili Dogs.

If you have a dog, they LOVE leftover hot dogs - just dole them out daily sparingly as treats, not a whole bunch at once.

my first thought was beanie weenies too, but then i remembered a kicked up version of it, beanie weenie balls.

mince the hot dogs, add eggs and plain bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or panko. form into balls and shallow fry on all sides, then add to your baked beans.

I have never heard the phrase "beanie weenies" before - and for some reason cannot stop giggling at it. Round these parts, we call 'em "franks and beans". Mmmm, makes me want to whip up a batch just thinking about it.

I'd freeze them and use them in the future for meatifying sauces.

Instead of ham salad you can run them through the grinder and make ham loaf. just use any ham loaf recipe and substitute the ground up dog meat for the ground ham.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom