Leftover Makeover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what they are, but I typically just reheat them and have them for lunch. If I have leftover chicken breast I make sandwiches using horseradish and dijon mustard. Leftover beef from a roast I usually make gratin parmetier, which is from a Jaques Pepin recipe, just cook the beef in broth and sauteed onions til very tender, add mashed potatoes on top, dry bread crumbs, pats of butter to brown it and then just bake it. Any other veggies can be added to this.

One of my favorites is if we've grilled steak the night before, I slice it super thin, add garlic, and as many veggies as I can, a bit of seasonings and stir fry it. Then I serve it over pasta with just a tiny bit of olive oil.

I always eat my leftovers for lunch the next day. If it's bland, I'll just put some type of hot sauce on it:)

If we have meatloaf or something of that nature, I'll slice it and make sandwiches out of it or roll it up in a tortilla.

when we do tri tip, any left overs are re-cycled into a fry pan with butter, sauteed mushrooms, sliced onions and some knorr Au jus with a little port thrown in...We then put this mix on top of a buttered french roll we've put under the broiler.. Left over asparagus, or artichoke hearts, brocolini are sauteed with onion, garlic, marjoram, chopped parsley, then mixed with eggs, parmesan and baked up and served as fritatta..Left over chicken, made into pot pies..

kadesma:)

Leftover salmon makes a great Alfredo...add some frozen peas when cooking the fettucine for a one dish meal. I don't use all the butter and cream...I just make a simple white sauce with skim milk and stir in a little lowfat cream cheese and fresh grated parmesan.

leftover boiled shrimp go into a quick gumbo. I save the shells, and boil them for the broth, add some sliced smoked sausage, and use the Zatarain's Gumbo mix. I know using a mix sounds like heresy, but it's honestly pretty darned good, especially if you add a pinch of file when you serve it.

Leftover chicken or turkey goes into rice, pasta, enchiladas, chicken salad, or chef salad.
Leftover pork roast is great for BBQ sandwiches or enchiladas.
And beef or venison go for stew.

I'm working on something for leftover fried fish...My husband is always afraid we won't have enough, and fries a bathtub full. It's good reheated in the oven the next day, but after that, it tends to become catfood.
If any of you have ideas, please let me know.

When the kids were small, what I used to do with leftover veggies....corn, peas, etc; was put in a ziplock bag and freeze them. Then keep adding to the bag as we had leftovers. When I had enough saved, I used them to make vegetable soup.

This is espeically good when you really don't have enough leftover for a serving or another meal.

Last night Handy Husband had to work late, so daughter and I were on our own. I browned and crumbled about half a tube of sausage, then browned some onions, and added both to some leftover too-thin, average-tasting potato soup I had made last week. Bulked the soup up nicely and added some needed flavor.

ACK!!!!!
You MUST try it some time!!! It is amazing!!!!

Here's a little info: (I grew up in Santa Barbara, which is about an hour south of Santa Maria, home of the tri tip)
Tri-tip -- Santa Maria, California barbecue

August 3, 2001
By JOE O'CONNELL, cbbqa past President

Outside California, the tri-tip cut of beef is not well known. But in California, the Santa Maria tri-tip barbecue remains the center of authentic California barbecue.

Taste and texture

Californians know that the tri-tip roast combines the strong flavor of beef with the perfect texture of a great steak. The taste and texture of the tri-tip roast is unlike any other cut of beef.

The taste of tri-tip is strongly beef. The taste cannot be compared with that of any other cut of beef. Tri-tip is not light and smooth, like the taste of the tenderloin (filet). Instead, tri-tip tastes like meat - the essence of great beef - a taste that is bold and strong. The flavor is all meat, not buttery and soft but meaty and hard. Not other cut tastes more like beef than the tri-tip.

Combined with the beef taste is the texture with says beef. Tri-tip has a bold texture that is moist and chewy and not at all dry or tough. Tri-tip has none of the leathery texture of inferior cuts and grades of beef. On the other hand, tri-tip does not have the soft texture that some mistakenly equate with great beef. Tri-tip has the texture of great beef, like a rib-eye, and not the "melt in your mouth like butter" texture of tenderloin. Tri-tip's texture says beef, not butter. Chewy but not tough, with the texture of beef, not mashed potatoes.

In recent years, barbecue tri-tip has taken on a folk status as those outside of California try it for the first time. Called either California tri-tip or Santa Maria tri-tip, the cut and barbecue method are uniquely Californian.

A beef tri-tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. It also
is called "triangular" roast because of its shape.

A beef tri-tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. It also is called "triangular" roast because of its shape.

th_th_tri_tips.jpg

Rainee, can you see me salivating?! Tri tip is the best!
(PS - I did your special lager marinate on one recently and it was beyond perfect!)

Back
Top Bottom