Leftover Pie Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
bought a 2-pack of pie dough, and i have one left....anyone got any good ideas on how to use it? something easy, and not pie

My mom always rolled extra dough out, rubbed some soft butter all over the top, sprinkled white sugar and cinnamon on it, and baked it. When it was done she would cut or break it up and we had pie dough cookies. Yum!

:)Barbara

freeze it. Or...

Lay the dough out on a cookie sheet and put a layer of shredded gruyere cheese on the crust, leaving a two inch border all around. Caramelize a couple of pounds of onions with some thyme and spread them over the shredded cheese. Carefully fold the outer edge of the crust in over the onions all around. Dot the exposed onion with bits of butter. Brush the exposed crust with egg wash and bake until the crust is golden brown.

Follow the same construction process using sliced apples with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.

...or blueberries, sugar and a squirt of lemon juice.

For the fruit versions, sprinkle the egg washed dough with sugar prior to baking.

I'd do either one BIG turnover or a couple of small ones. OOOOO...or baked apples!!

Turnover - put filling into the pie shell and crimp the edges shut. Bake til golden and serve with a huge blob of whipped cream.

Baked apples - core apple, cut enough dough to wrap the outside of the apple, fill the core with brown sugar, cinnamon and either raisins or nuts. Bake in the oven for about 45-60 mins. Again, serve with a blob of whipped cream.

I'm with Andy and Alix, I do as Andy does with apples and sometimes pears, my family and even the kids love it.Now I need to try Alix's ideas, yum:LOL:
kadesma

thanks for the inspiration...i took the dough, brushed with butter, topped with cinnamon, thinly sliced (mandolin) apples and blueberries...folded in the edges to make it look pretty, eggwash on the edges, then sugar everywhere...its cooling as we speak...smells great, golden brown...ill report back with taste

you can deep fry strips of left over dough and dust it with cinnamon sugar , it would look like Cinnamon sticks but yummier..you could also stuffed it with filling just like an empanada and bake it.

Back
Top Bottom