"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-23-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Leftovers

What do you do with them?

Today I had leftover Italian seasoned grilled chicken and grilled vegies (mushrooms, sweet onions and red sweet peppers). I started a skillet of Chicken Flavor Rice a Roni, added the vegies, chicken and some fresh broccoli florets, and it's now simmering and smelling delicious.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
Master Chef

i like to add leftover meat to soup. i like meatballs for sandwiches. same for meatloaf. i like macaroni and cheese with milk or cream added and reheated. black beans become soup.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Paul gets most of the leftovers for lunch.
His friends get tuna sandwiches, he gets lamb and Greek salad.
I get rid of the leftovers and come out looking like a wonderful wife!
Old 05-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Hubby takes them for lunch & if he forgets or I have enough, I take them to my grandma. On occasion we have them later in the week for supper.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:12 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Most of our leftovers are intentional to make another meal. Sometimes, when there's a little leftover meat, it goes into a sandwich the next day for lunch. Today's lunch was a sandwich made with some of yesterday's grilled sirloin strip.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Leftovers usually work most admerably with:

Pasta
rice
cous-cous
as cottage pie
or as a traditional meat pie

but then my family never had any problem with leftovers. If it was good once it was good again and then again. I almost never had a leftover problem. They just got eaten.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Re leftovers:

Add to pasta, couscous, rice, casseroles, sammiches, salads, won tons, egg rolls, pizza...or freeze & use for another dish.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
Master Chef

I'm firmly in the "leftovers on purpose" camp. There are two of us, and I learned to cook for six, and pretty much still do. Hubby likes to just scarf them up as is for days on end if necessary, so I have to let him know when I have specific plans for the leftovers (for example, a grilled tenderloin with a marsala/mushroom sauce becomes a stroganof becomes a soup. If I didn't warn him the leftovers would be gone when I needed them. I find Barilla pasta the best for leftovers. It seems to keep its texture better when reheated.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

i will take almost any leftover meats, such as grilled chicken or even hamburgers, and add it to a pot of tomato sauce or red wine/stock/herbs and simmer it until it falls apart.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
Senior Cook

We will usually eat most of the meal, unless I deliberately cook double portions to freeze half. If there is anything left over, it's usually very little, so the dogs get any meat left and the rest goes in the trash. After big meals (Christmas dinner, entertaining etc., ) then I often make vegetable soup out of any leftover veggies, and curries/casseroles/soups out of large amounts of leftover meat (much to the dogs disappointment).

Paint.