Leftovers ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
This past weekend I hosted an event and now have some ingredients leftover in large-ish quantity. I'm looking for some good ideas to use them up. I need some vegetarian ideas and some carnivore ideas as well. There are only two of us so a number of dishes will be needed for several meals. Here's the list:

24 eggs
3 lbs baked ham (sliced thick)
3 lbs shredded medium cheddar
1 lb fresh basil leaves
18 1/4 lb beef hotdogs
24 hot dog buns
36 bananas
1/2 gal jar of green stuffed olives
5 jars tomatillo salsa
2 lbs roasted salted, hulled sunflowers seeds

Any great ideas?

Last edited:
You've got the makings for some very nice fritattas and quiches there!

I would bag up and freeze the freezable items, i.e. hot dogs, ham, cheese, and buns. If it were me, I would take the bananas into work and put them in the kitchen for people to eat.

Eggs I would have no problem finishing. I eat about 2 dozen in a week myself. They have a pretty good shelf life.

Same with the jarred salsa.

The ones I'm struggling with ideas for are the green olives and sunflower seeds. I would have no idea what to do with either.

Hmmm...LOTS of banana bread to freeze or give away? Bananas also freeze pretty well for future banana bread, or pancakes, or other baked goods.

The olives and sunflower seeds have a long refrigerator life. I would just keep those in the fridge for snacking, if it were me. I also love sunflower seeds sprinkled over green salads. They would also freeze well.

Ditto to what Steve said about freezing the dogs, buns, ham, etc. I would portion them out and freeze in meal sizes, whatever you think you could use up in a meal or two.

Interested in hearing about your event, Janet!

This past weekend I hosted an event and now have some ingredients leftover in large-ish quantity. I'm looking for some good ideas to use them up....Any great ideas?

- Cheesy scalloped ham and potatoes

- Cuban-Style Picadillo with LOTS of olives. To make it vegetarian, you could probably use TVP rather than ground meat. YMMV.

- They're really good sprinkled on salads. Use a heavy hand. ;)
- Donate it to a Little League team, although I think the allure of sunflower seeds for ball players is spitting the hulls. :LOL:

How about basil, sunflower seed pesto or green olive sunflower seed pesto.

It seems like some vodka, ice and imagination would take care of a couple jars of tomatillo salsa.

Last edited:
24 eggs
1 lb fresh basil leaves
18 1/4 lb beef hotdogs
24 hot dog buns
36 bananas
5 jars tomatillo salsa

Freeze the ham and hot dogs in 1-pound portions, and the salsa and buns. Save the dogs and buns for another occasion. Lots of ways to use ham, for carnivores.

Make pesto with the basil and sunflower seeds and freeze in 1-cup containers; use to top pasta or crostini.

Freeze the bananas and make muffins or bread later.

Use the salsa as a topping and the cheese in the filling for bean and cheese enchiladas or tacos.

Eggs keep for quite a while. I'd make deviled eggs and quiche or frittata until they're gone.

Interested in hearing about your event, Janet!

The event was a 4 day camping trip with about 40 folks on a rural farm. We had some group meals and I was responsible for a hotdog dinner and cooking breakfast one morning. I made the eggs and ham to order and had omelet fixins and other folks baked cinnamon rolls and brought fruit. All the food had to be packed in and was kept fully chilled.

There was an Mediterranean themed potluck dinner and someone brought a restaurant pack of basil - somehow it ended up in my cooler. Also not sure where the sunflower seeds came from but they are unopened and an in bags.

the menu was:

Fri: State Fair Friday night
hots dogs with grilled peppers and onions ( I supplied this)
beans, corn on the cob, slaw and pie (others supplied)

Sat Supper: Mediterranean night - potluck
I made morels, asparagus and pancetta in a light creamy garlicy sauce with capers and parm and there were some amazing dishes including roast partridges, handmade gnocchi, lamb shanks and an embarrassing number of delicious desserts.

Sunday breakfast: Eggs and ham cooked to order, omelet fixins
other provided baked goods, fruit and other sides

Sunday Supper: potluck and hand cranked ice-cream with fresh local berries picked by the kids. This ended badly when the churn crank broke part way through although the berries were good ;)

Monday late b-fast: Oatmeal with toppings bar, hard cooked eggs, fruit, bacon

camping spot:

area33_2017.jpg

morels cooking:

morels.jpg

Last edited:
This past weekend I hosted an event and now have some ingredients leftover in large-ish quantity. I'm looking for some good ideas to use them up. I need some vegetarian ideas and some carnivore ideas as well. There are only two of us so a number of dishes will be needed for several meals. Here's the list:

24 eggs
1 lb fresh basil leaves

18 1/4 lb beef hotdogs
24 hot dog buns
36 bananas
5 jars tomatillo salsa

Any great ideas?

As mentioned, you have the basic ingredients for quiche or fritatta. The hot dogs and buns leave many choices. I would make a sauce using thinly sliced onions, thinly sliced garlic, stewed tomatoes and Crystal hot sauce. Once the sauce is sauteed, steam the HD's in beer. Toast the split buns and make your dogs with the sauce, mustard and kraut. Chili also works!:yum: The bananas can be made into pudding with vanilla wafers or bananas foster over ice cream. The olives and tomatillos could be part of a picadillo or green chili stew. They might also be used in an enchilada recipe.

How about basil, sunflower seed pesto or green olive sunflower seed pesto.

It seems like some vodka, ice and imagination would take care of a couple jars of tomatillo salsa.

Pesto sounds like a really good idea for the seeds and basil AB!
Janet, here's a recipe I found for you..Sunflower Seed Pesto recipe | Epicurious.com
Note that is says to soak the seeds first.

We use a handful of seeds on all our salads, and keep them in the freezer.

:ROFLMAO: at first read I thought it was 24 dozen eggs!

But it is not so bad at 2 dozen. They have a good shelf life, as do most everything you've listed. All freezable. Even the eggs if you separate them. I can't better any of the suggestions that have been posted.

With the exception of the basil. Pesto is an excellent suggestion but you could also chop it fine, stuff into ice cube trays, add some water (or olive oil), freeze, pop out and bag them. Perfect for quick additions to so many things and they really do smell and taste fresh when you do!

The event was a 4 day camping trip with about 40 folks on a rural farm. We had some group meals and I was responsible for a hotdog dinner and cooking breakfast one morning. I made the eggs and ham to order and had omelet fixins and other folks baked cinnamon rolls and brought fruit. All the food had to be packed in and was kept fully chilled.

There was an Mediterranean themed potluck dinner and someone brought a restaurant pack of basil - somehow it ended up in my cooler. Also not sure where the sunflower seeds came from but they are unopened and an in bags.

the menu was:

Fri: State Fair Friday night
hots dogs with grilled peppers and onions ( I supplied this)
beans, corn on the cob, slaw and pie (others supplied)

Sat Supper: Mediterranean night - potluck
I made morels, asparagus and pancetta in a light creamy garlicy sauce with capers and parm and there were some amazing dishes including roast partridges, handmade gnocchi, lamb shanks and an embarrassing number of delicious desserts.

Sunday breakfast: Eggs and ham cooked to order, omelet fixins
other provided baked goods, fruit and other sides

Sunday Supper: potluck and hand cranked ice-cream with fresh local berries picked by the kids. This ended badly when the churn crank broke part way through although the berries were good ;)

Monday late b-fast: Oatmeal with toppings bar, hard cooked eggs, fruit, bacon

camping spot:

View attachment 26968

morels cooking:

View attachment 26969

How fun, Janet! Everything sounds so good. I sure do miss camping, and would love it even more these days in one of those beautiful Airstreams. Not so much into tent camping anymore. :ohmy: :) Beautiful scenery. Is that Mt. Adams in the background?

24 eggs
1 lb fresh basil leaves
18 1/4 lb beef hotdogs
24 hot dog buns
36 bananas
5 jars tomatillo salsa

Any great ideas?

Well, here's my two cents :
the olives make for a wonderful Fish Vera Cruz Style ( or loads of Dirty Martinis ;) )

I'd mash the bananas and freeze them in oh say 1 cup portions for future use like Pancakes, Muffins, Quick Breads, Cookies, etc.

I'd probably put the Basil in a dehydrator or even in the oven for dried Basil and share it with friends and family in Spice Jars. I know I'm always running out of Dried Basil.

Eggs, Ham and Cheddar Cheese? I see a large Breakfast Casserole for a Sunday Brunch with a bunch of neighbors, friends and family.

And then I'm with every one else on freezing the dogs and buns, but then they have a pretty good long `fridge life too :LOL:

Is that your rig Janet? I'm so jealous! I've been trying to get DH to RV for years, he says, "We don't go camping!" I'd call it Glamping! I have my eye on either the R-Pod 180 or Winnebago 24V with the L-shapped sectional. A girl can dream...

Use 8 to 10 eggs, diced ham and cheddar cheese to make a fritatta in an 8-inch cast iron skillet.

Make a slit in each hot dog, stuff it with cheese and wrap it in bacon to make whistle pigs

Make garlic bread with the 8 extra hot dog buns.

Vodka, vermouth, olives and toothpicks make James Bond's favorite vodka martini, shaken not stirred.

Ham, cheddar cheese, a round of Sicilian sesame bread, and whip up an olive salad to make Muffulettas

Tomatillo salsa is delicious on chicken enchiladas and baja style fish tacos.

And last but not least, besides banana bread, you can get a jar of peanut butter and make Elvis Presley's birthday cake!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom