Lemon Baked Cod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keep it simple, no bread crumbs, lemon.
39817-albums371-picture2995.jpg
evoo,white wine. Season w/ old bay.

I don't want to get into broiling, too complicated.

I'm just going to slap lemon butter and flour on it and bake it in the lemon sauce.

I don't want to get into broiling, too complicated.

I'm just going to slap lemon butter and flour on it and bake it in the lemon sauce.

When making a recipe for the first time, I find it best to follow the original recipe. Then you can tweak it. The spice and lemon suggestions probably won't hurt.

Last edited:
Hey guys thanks for all the help with the recipe, this is how it turned out on my plate :yum:
img_1288013_0_55b79eb43faf60ffef7e63e6c53e4a50.jpg

The fish came through packed full of that bold lemon flavor just how I wanted it, and the 2 tsps of Old bay added the perfect robust flavor to it, however the fish came out soggy (the breading was ok to be soggy but the actual fish meat was soggy, which i don't prefer,) and one of the pieces seemed to be more grayish in the middle than white.
This recipe needs to cook at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes maybe even 50 minutes because I like my fish on the dryer side and full cooked.

Definitely will be doing this recipe again with atleast a half pound of fillets each and cooking longer, but glad to have the flavor just how I wanted it. Thanks for all the help! :chef:

Last edited:
Here is something to try. My wife likes it and she isn't all that fond of fish. I've used this recipe with grouper and wahoo, but any white fish should work. Do not use any breading or flour on the fish.

Baked Fillets in Pouches

2 pounds of fish fillets (any good white fish)
1/2 cup (1 stick or 1/4 pound) melted butter
Zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp hot pepper, chopped fine (I use either lady finger or Scotch bonnet)
1 med onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 med bell pepper, seeded and sliced in rings
1 med tomato, sliced thinly
Season with spices and herbs as desired and salt and pepper to taste

For my spice mixture I use 1 - 2 tablespoons of Cherry Creek seasoning mix from Savory spice shop (Google the website if interested). Old Bay would work, or any other herbs and spices you like for fish.

Set oven to 400 degrees

In a bowl, mix the melted butter, lemon juice, and hot pepper.

Make as many sheets of foil as you have fillets, large enough to fold into a sealed pouch around each fillet. Brush an area of each sheet of foil with the butter mixture as large as your fillet. Lay one fillet on each sheet. Brush the fillets with the lemon butter mixture, then sprinkle with the spice mixture and lemon zest. Evenly distribute the onion, bell pepper and tomato on all of the fillets. Fold up the sides of the packets to make a pouch and spoon the remaining lemon butter mixture on the fillets, then roll the edges together to seal the pouch. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until fish flakes.

I serve the fish in the pouch to conserve the flavors in the sauce.

Last edited:
Sounds good, thanks for sharing :)

Here is something to try. My wife likes it and she isn't all that fond of fish. I've used this recipe with grouper and wahoo, but any white fish should work. Do not use any breading or flour on the fish.

Baked Fillets in Pouches

2 pounds of fish fillets (any good white fish)
1/2 cup (1 stick or 1/4 pound) melted butter
Zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp hot pepper, chopped fine (I use either lady finger or Scotch bonnet)
1 med onion, sliced and separated into rings
1 med bell pepper, seeded and sliced in rings
1 med tomato, sliced thinly
Season with spices and herbs as desired and salt and pepper to taste

For my spice mixture I use 1 - 2 tablespoons of Cherry Creek seasoning mix from Savory spice shop (Google the website if interested). Old Bay would work, or any other herbs and spices you like for fish.

Set oven to 400 degrees

In a bowl, mix the melted butter, lemon juice, and hot pepper.

Make as many sheets of foil as you have fillets, large enough to fold into a sealed pouch around each fillet. Brush an area of each sheet of foil with the butter mixture as large as your fillet. Lay one fillet on each sheet. Brush the fillets with the lemon butter mixture, then sprinkle with the spice mixture and lemon zest. Evenly distribute the onion, bell pepper and tomato on all of the fillets. Fold up the sides of the packets to make a pouch and spoon the remaining lemon butter mixture on the fillets, then roll the edges together to seal the pouch. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until fish flakes.

I serve the fish in the pouch to conserve the flavors in the sauce.

Anyone who has never tried grouper should really try it. I never cooked it myself, but I had it at a seafood buffet. They had the whole fish on a rack and you just used tongs to pull off the size of piece you wanted. It was so good. My son also had grouper sandwiches in a restaurant and he said it was good. I think he was at the beach, NC I think.

Back
Top Bottom