"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lemon Baked Cod

Hello, tonight for dinner I'm going to be following this recipe Lemon Baked Cod Recipe - Food.com - 135272

I would like to make the recipe as flavorful as possible. I'm using the rest of the Cod I have from last night from a pan fry, which did not come out very good. The fish was cooked well but the batter was lacking something, and it came out sub par, and I don't want the same thing to happen tonight

How can I get the maximum flavor out of this dish (herbs, spices?)
Should the pan be filled with a lemon/butter mixture to cook in?

Also, I do not have a full pound of fish like it calls for in the recipe, probably more like .5-.7 of a pound, would I still cook it at 350 for 25-30 mins? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Consider baking it in the oven instead of the stove top.

I have baked many cod fish in the oven. Only I had the whole fish including the head. I always put the squeezed lemons inside the fish and held it closed with just toothpicks stabbed through the edges so they were easily removed.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Consider baking it in the oven instead of the stove top.

I have baked many cod fish in the oven. Only I had the whole fish including the head. I always put the squeezed lemons inside the fish and held it closed with just toothpicks stabbed through the edges so they were easily removed.
I am planning on baking it in the oven, I'm using the fish left over from last nights pan fry.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCJ View Post
I am planning on baking it in the oven, I'm using the fish left over from last nights pan fry.
Definitely make a lemon/butter sauce and baste the fish with it, then pour the rest into the pan. Make sure the fish is sitting on some of that sauce. Dill is a great flavor enhancer to any fish. Add it to the sauce. You might want to try a small bit of Old Bay seasoning also.

I have baked fish in tomatoes with Italian seasoning and always lemon.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Definitely make a lemon/butter sauce and baste the fish with it, then pour the rest into the pan. Make sure the fish is sitting on some of that sauce. Dill is a great flavor enhancer to any fish. Add it to the sauce. You might want to try a small bit of Old Bay seasoning also.

I have baked fish in tomatoes with Italian seasoning and always lemon.
Cool cool, what does Old Bay seasoning taste like? Would it compliment the lemon flavor I'm going after?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Also should I turn the fish over half way through cooking so that the flavor soaks in to both sides? I want this fish to be as succulent lemony flavorful as possible.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCJ View Post
Also should I turn the fish over half way through cooking so that the flavor soaks in to both sides? I want this fish to be as succulent lemony flavorful as possible.
Old Bay has celery salt, red and black pepper, and paprika. Use it sparingly as it is a new product for you. And yes, half way through the baking, turn the fish over so it can brown on both sides and absorb the sauce. Use only about a half tsp. of the Old Bay and mix it in with the sauce. Your main product for flavor should be the lemon. It really has a bright flavor for fish. You might want to poke some small holes in the fish when you pour the sauce over the fish. But remember, overcooking can and will make the fish dry out. Let the heat of the sauce cook the fish for you.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Old Bay has celery salt, red and black pepper, and paprika. Use it sparingly as it is a new product for you. And yes, half way through the baking, turn the fish over so it can brown on both sides and absorb the sauce. Use only about a half tsp. of the Old Bay and mix it in with the sauce. Your main product for flavor should be the lemon. It really has a bright flavor for fish. You might want to poke some small holes in the fish when you pour the sauce over the fish. But remember, overcooking can and will make the fish dry out. Let the heat of the sauce cook the fish for you.
That sounds delicious, this is lining up great I can't wait for dinner
Old 08-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Old Bay seasoning is great on a wide variety of foods. As Addie said, if you are unfamiliar with the flavor, a little can go a long way.
This all sounds very good.
I hope it turns out great!
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Old Bay seasoning is great on a wide variety of foods. As Addie said, if you are unfamiliar with the flavor, a little can go a long way.
This all sounds very good.
I hope it turns out great!
I think I am going to mix the old bay seasoning into the flour instead of the salt and white pepper, and then add more old bay to taste.

I will poke holes in the fish before I do anything, then dip them in the butter lemon mix, flour, butter again, and then lightly coat them with bread crumbs.

Throw the lemon butter mix in the pan and cook the fish in there at 350 for 25 minutes, turning half way through, garnish with paprika and lemon juice/slices and serve with salad and mashed potatoes.

ooooooooooooooo

Tags
lemon