Lemon Baked Cod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xCJ

Assistant Cook
Hello, tonight for dinner I'm going to be following this recipe Lemon Baked Cod Recipe - Food.com - 135272

I would like to make the recipe as flavorful as possible. I'm using the rest of the Cod I have from last night from a pan fry, which did not come out very good. The fish was cooked well but the batter was lacking something, and it came out sub par, and I don't want the same thing to happen tonight :chef:

How can I get the maximum flavor out of this dish (herbs, spices?)
Should the pan be filled with a lemon/butter mixture to cook in?

Also, I do not have a full pound of fish like it calls for in the recipe, probably more like .5-.7 of a pound, would I still cook it at 350 for 25-30 mins? Thanks for any help.

Consider baking it in the oven instead of the stove top.

I have baked many cod fish in the oven. Only I had the whole fish including the head. I always put the squeezed lemons inside the fish and held it closed with just toothpicks stabbed through the edges so they were easily removed. :angel:

Consider baking it in the oven instead of the stove top.

I have baked many cod fish in the oven. Only I had the whole fish including the head. I always put the squeezed lemons inside the fish and held it closed with just toothpicks stabbed through the edges so they were easily removed. :angel:

I am planning on baking it in the oven, I'm using the fish left over from last nights pan fry.

I am planning on baking it in the oven, I'm using the fish left over from last nights pan fry.

Definitely make a lemon/butter sauce and baste the fish with it, then pour the rest into the pan. Make sure the fish is sitting on some of that sauce. Dill is a great flavor enhancer to any fish. Add it to the sauce. You might want to try a small bit of Old Bay seasoning also.

I have baked fish in tomatoes with Italian seasoning and always lemon. :angel:

Definitely make a lemon/butter sauce and baste the fish with it, then pour the rest into the pan. Make sure the fish is sitting on some of that sauce. Dill is a great flavor enhancer to any fish. Add it to the sauce. You might want to try a small bit of Old Bay seasoning also.

I have baked fish in tomatoes with Italian seasoning and always lemon. :angel:

Cool cool, what does Old Bay seasoning taste like? Would it compliment the lemon flavor I'm going after?

Also should I turn the fish over half way through cooking so that the flavor soaks in to both sides? I want this fish to be as succulent lemony flavorful as possible.

Also should I turn the fish over half way through cooking so that the flavor soaks in to both sides? I want this fish to be as succulent lemony flavorful as possible.

Old Bay has celery salt, red and black pepper, and paprika. Use it sparingly as it is a new product for you. And yes, half way through the baking, turn the fish over so it can brown on both sides and absorb the sauce. Use only about a half tsp. of the Old Bay and mix it in with the sauce. Your main product for flavor should be the lemon. It really has a bright flavor for fish. You might want to poke some small holes in the fish when you pour the sauce over the fish. But remember, overcooking can and will make the fish dry out. Let the heat of the sauce cook the fish for you. :angel:

Old Bay has celery salt, red and black pepper, and paprika. Use it sparingly as it is a new product for you. And yes, half way through the baking, turn the fish over so it can brown on both sides and absorb the sauce. Use only about a half tsp. of the Old Bay and mix it in with the sauce. Your main product for flavor should be the lemon. It really has a bright flavor for fish. You might want to poke some small holes in the fish when you pour the sauce over the fish. But remember, overcooking can and will make the fish dry out. Let the heat of the sauce cook the fish for you. :angel:

That sounds delicious, this is lining up great I can't wait for dinner :yum:

Old Bay seasoning is great on a wide variety of foods. As Addie said, if you are unfamiliar with the flavor, a little can go a long way.
This all sounds very good.
I hope it turns out great!

Old Bay seasoning is great on a wide variety of foods. As Addie said, if you are unfamiliar with the flavor, a little can go a long way.
This all sounds very good.
I hope it turns out great!

I think I am going to mix the old bay seasoning into the flour instead of the salt and white pepper, and then add more old bay to taste.

I will poke holes in the fish before I do anything, then dip them in the butter lemon mix, flour, butter again, and then lightly coat them with bread crumbs.

Throw the lemon butter mix in the pan and cook the fish in there at 350 for 25 minutes, turning half way through, garnish with paprika and lemon juice/slices and serve with salad and mashed potatoes.

ooooooooooooooo

If anyone sees anything wrong with how I'm planning to cook the fish, please let me know :)

I don't want things to be soggy though, will it cook crispy or soggy?

I was wondering if you would be better off leaving out the bread crumbs, as I can foresee them becoming soggy, maybe make the recipe as written with the flour. You could still use the lemon zest.

Sounds like a nice recipe, with the additions, it should be really good.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you would be better off leaving out the bread crumbs, as I can foresee them becoming soggy, maybe make the recipe as written with the flour. You could still use the lemon zest.

Sounds like a nice recipe, with the additions, it should be really good.

True. Better safe then sorry, thanks. If someone assured me they would cook crispy I would like to have the crunch of bread crumbs though!

True. Better safe then sorry, thanks. If someone assured me they would cook crispy I would like to have the crunch of bread crumbs though!

It might be possible if you only bread crumbed the top side, and didn't flip them.

The lemon zest won't make things soggy, but Dawg might be correct that the recipe in general might make the bread crumbs soggy. I kind of read your plan as being like dipping something in egg, flour, egg and the bread crumbs, but using a lemon and butter sauce in place of the egg. Theoreticaly that should work so long as the flour underneath is not too wet or thick. You don't need a lot of lemon zest, and you can press it with a paper towel first if it seems like their is too much moisture after grating it.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite ways to bake cod is called Cod Abaco. You place the cod in a glass baking dish, top with 1-2 chopped tomatoes, green pepper, chopped green onion, parsley, red pepper flakes, dab with butter (about 1-2 tsp), juice if 1/2 lemon, and 1/4 c dry white wine. Cover with foil and bake about 20-25 minutes (until fish flakes).

^ sounds delicious. Won't the flour cook up soggy aswell?

Back
Top Bottom