Lentils with...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thomasina

Assistant Cook
Hi guys!

I am a student about to move out of home and start my cooknig ventures!

I've recently discovered all the beans and legumes out there and really love lentils. But I'm not very confident with cooking yet and am wondering what I can or can't do with them! So here's a few questions :)

How do I cook lentils? How long for?

Can I put them in a casserole dish?

Can I stir fry them?

Can I have lentils by themselves? What do you like with them?

Can I cook lentils with peas?

Can I cook lentils with carrots?

Can I cook lentils with tuna?

Can I cook lentils with rice?

Can I cook lentils with tinned tomatoes?

What do I serve it with? Potatoes, rice, pasta? Or can I have it on its own?

Can I have them cold after I cook it? Can I reheat them?

I don't know what would go and what wouldn't ahhhhhh!

Are there specific recipes I must use only one kind for, red or.... other kind?

If I use enough olive oil can I still cook red lentils in a pan without it getting all stuck to the bottom when it goes sorta mushy?

If anyone can help and share the love of lentils with some easy recipes then please reply!

I am a dancer so need cheap, healthy food with lots of fibre and protein and this does the ticket!

Hi guys!

Hi Thomasina! Welcome to DC!

----
By Mayo Clinic nutritionist
Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Lentils are grouped with beans and peas as part of the legume family because, like all legumes, they grow in pods. Lentils are high in protein and fiber and low in fat, which makes them a healthy substitute for meat.

They're also packed with folate, iron, phosphorus, potassium and fiber.
Lentils come in three main varieties: brown, green and red. Most grocery stores carry brown lentils, usually dried. Green and red lentils may be found at specialty food markets.

Here are some tips for choosing your color:

Brown lentils. The least expensive, they soften when cooked and can become mushy. Use for soups.Green lentils. Also called French lentils, these have a nuttier flavor and stay firm when cooked.

Green lentils are the best choice for salads.

Red lentils. The fastest cooking, these lose their shape and turn golden when cooked. They taste milder and sweeter than green lentils. Use them for purees and Indian dals.

Unlike other legumes, lentils cook quickly without pre-soaking. Just make sure to rinse away any dirt, dust or debris before adding them to recipes.

Lentils work well in soups, stews and salads. Or you boil them for 15 to 30 minutes, add turmeric, ginger or other seasonings, and serve over rice or mix with other vegetables and enjoy.

I've had some delicious lentil dishes, both hot and cold, the possibilities are endless. Best to just google some recipes and go from there. Use green lentils for salads as they hold together where as the red lentils are best for stews and curries as they turn creamy in texture.

^^ Yeah, what Timothy said!

I am a huge fan of lentils! You can cook them with anything, really, for additional flavor.

Red ones break down after about 30 minutes of cooking, so you can't really just add some oil to a pan and let them go. They need some sort of liquid for sure. Here's a great recipe for Coconut Red Lentils.

Brown ones are best in soups. Carrots, tomato, onion, bay leaf and sausage are a classic combination. I've not made this exact one, but it's similar to the one I do make. I put way less parmesan in (1/4 to 1/3 c) and generally add some Italian sausage to make the carnivores around here happy.

My favorite, lentils du puy (the tiny green ones that hold their shape beautifully after cooking) I use mostly in salads. So cook them up in salted water, it takes about 30 minutes at a simmer to get them softened. Then either dress them warm. Or let them cool and dress them as you need them.

Tuna would be great with them. Heck, I'm even a fan of having them with a poached egg on top! This Lentil Salad is always a hit and one of our favorites.

I am a huge fan of Zereh's coconut red lentils. That is one of my favorite recipes right now. The bonus is that my kids love it too.

GB said:
I am a huge fan of Zereh's coconut red lentils. That is one of my favorite recipes right now. The bonus is that my kids love it too.

Mmmm. C&P!

I bought my first bag of lentils the last time I went to the store. I have been waiting to try them out. I found a few good recipes online. You should google Lentil Recipes. There are a ton of results.

Back
Top Bottom