"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
Head Chef

Man does that look good!

Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
Man does that look good!
Thank you Joe!! I have type 2 and this meal the other night gave me a 2 hour finger stick sugar level of 91. You can serve it with brown rice or any other nice flavorful rice you like. I sometimes make a quick fried rice.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
Half Baked

I like making a Quinoa salad and grilling some BS chicken on the foreman grill.

Grilled and marinated veggies in greek style salad are also a fav.

I also like Hummus with whole grain pita.I make my own hummus and eliminate most of the oil by using the canning liquid from the chickpeas.Cucumbers and other veggies dip well too.

Brown rice pilaf and some grilled shrimps are good too.

Stuffed tomatoes or bells!

Whole grilled fish with some spicy ponzu for dipping!

Tons of fresh sauteed spinach eaten here too.Costco sells a huge bag for cheap!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Not so exciting on the cooking front, but I have become very fond of Green Smoothies as my first meal of the day. A typical one for me would be a banana, some blueberries, spinach, some whey protien and some coconut water. If you google some recipes you will find hundreds. It really keeps me going and is great fibre and protein. Not to mention only takes a couple of minutes to blend up and eat. I have been drinking them now for a couple of years and feel great!
That sounds pretty good!What flavor of whey are you using? I have only found two that I like.Chocolate seems to be the best for most brands.Muscle Milk Cookies-n-cream flavor is good too.It would probably work in your shake.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Not so exciting on the cooking front, but I have become very fond of Green Smoothies as my first meal of the day. A typical one for me would be a banana, some blueberries, spinach, some whey protien and some coconut water. If you google some recipes you will find hundreds. It really keeps me going and is great fibre and protein. Not to mention only takes a couple of minutes to blend up and eat. I have been drinking them now for a couple of years and feel great!
I've been meaning to start making green smoothies but every time I read about them I read that I need a bad ass blender to blend them up. My blender isn't exactly super awesome. It's no excuse for not trying to make one already though. I would have to make them on the weekends and freeze the drinks for the whole week. I can't run the blender early in the morning due to sleeping children. I also don't know what I would freeze the individual servings in (???)
Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Not into the low carb thing myself (see no need unless diabetic, JMHO).

I lost 65 lbs. last year and am hoping to take off the last 25 this year and here is what I did. I made REAL food, eliminated as much processed foods from my cooking as possible, if I do use processed foods they must be all natural and I need to understand the ingredient list (thank you Trader Joe's for making this so much easier).

A typical meal is a lean meat, veg, and a starch. I have never loved vegetables, but since I started roasting them, have a whole new appreciation for them. I roast brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and green beans. Stir fry is quick and healthy.

I bought some nice spice blends from Penzy's because I tend to be spice impaired unless I have a recipe in front of me, so these are great to sprinkle on meats and veg for lots of extra flavor.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
That sounds pretty good!What flavor of whey are you using? I have only found two that I like.Chocolate seems to be the best for most brands.Muscle Milk Cookies-n-cream flavor is good too.It would probably work in your shake.
I have used vanilla, chocolate and the pure stuff from a bulk store. They all work fine. Occasionally, chocolate doesn't work with certain ingredients, but its all good stuff anyway, so I just guzzle it down.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
I've been meaning to start making green smoothies but every time I read about them I read that I need a bad ass blender to blend them up. My blender isn't exactly super awesome. It's no excuse for not trying to make one already though. I would have to make them on the weekends and freeze the drinks for the whole week. I can't run the blender early in the morning due to sleeping children. I also don't know what I would freeze the individual servings in (???)
I just have a regular blender. I use lots of frozen fruit, but I microwave it for a few seconds to soften it up so it will blend easier. I would watch out if you freeze them. They separate quickly and need another quick whip to bring back to even consistency.

Tags
healthy