Let's talk healthy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesfolk

Head Chef
Okay so the holidays are over and most of the baked goods and candy are memories. It's that time of year when we all begin to think about making up for the excesses of the last two months. I'm trying to think of low carb reduced fat meals to serve my family. Now I'm sure that most of you have one or two meals that are very healthy and tasty too. How about sharing them?

These are all delicious and healthy:

VEGETABLE CHILI (I increase the spices, and don't use the suggested sour cream/cheese toppings, etc).
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/4420

BLACK BEAN PATTIES WITH CILANTRO AND LIME
Black Bean Patties with Cilantro and Lime Recipe | MyRecipes.com

CHICKPEA STEW (I increase the onions, garlic, cumin, etc., plus I add some curry powder, chili powder, and ground ginger).
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/107549

VEGETARIAN TORTILLA SOUP
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/4421

CURRIED CAULIFLOWER SOUP WITH CORIANDER CHUTNEY
Living in the Kitchen with Puppies: Curried Cauliflower Soup with Coriander Chutney

Take leftover LO chicken and LO white and wild rice add some drained green beans and toss with lite salt soy sauce.

Tasty, healthy and easy.:chef:

Chicken broth with lots of veggies. Some things I use: diced tomatoes, onions, shredded cabbage, garbanzoes, and a small amount of shredded greens of choice and ground chicken breast. Sometimes I will add a poblano pepper for more zing.

That sounds yummy. It would be a good sub for the pot pie mixture that dh loves. But I'll have to leave out the pepper. Dh can't handle anything even slightly spicy :(

Crayfish Salad!

Hello!

This is actually the kind of topic I discussed yesterday with my friend...
I tried a wonderful crayfish salad with citronette sauce, whole fresh veg and fish for omega3 fats,

I also want to try it with shrimps, should be lovely!

xoxo

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bet shrimp would be great with that. Loved the Julia video too.

Not so exciting on the cooking front, but I have become very fond of Green Smoothies as my first meal of the day. A typical one for me would be a banana, some blueberries, spinach, some whey protien and some coconut water. If you google some recipes you will find hundreds. It really keeps me going and is great fibre and protein. Not to mention only takes a couple of minutes to blend up and eat. I have been drinking them now for a couple of years and feel great!

My Version Of Sub Gum Chicken Chow Mein (Click here for recipe)

Sub gum chicken chow mein and jasmine rice.

img_956555_0_c17c8bc2f032aeed912c1fb58bce2c8d.jpg

Man does that look good!
Thank you Joe!! I have type 2 and this meal the other night gave me a 2 hour finger stick sugar level of 91. You can serve it with brown rice or any other nice flavorful rice you like. I sometimes make a quick fried rice.

Last edited:
I like making a Quinoa salad and grilling some BS chicken on the foreman grill.

Grilled and marinated veggies in greek style salad are also a fav.

I also like Hummus with whole grain pita.I make my own hummus and eliminate most of the oil by using the canning liquid from the chickpeas.Cucumbers and other veggies dip well too.

Brown rice pilaf and some grilled shrimps are good too.

Stuffed tomatoes or bells!

Whole grilled fish with some spicy ponzu for dipping!

Tons of fresh sauteed spinach eaten here too.Costco sells a huge bag for cheap!

Not so exciting on the cooking front, but I have become very fond of Green Smoothies as my first meal of the day. A typical one for me would be a banana, some blueberries, spinach, some whey protien and some coconut water. If you google some recipes you will find hundreds. It really keeps me going and is great fibre and protein. Not to mention only takes a couple of minutes to blend up and eat. I have been drinking them now for a couple of years and feel great!

That sounds pretty good!What flavor of whey are you using? I have only found two that I like.Chocolate seems to be the best for most brands.Muscle Milk Cookies-n-cream flavor is good too.It would probably work in your shake.

I've been meaning to start making green smoothies but every time I read about them I read that I need a bad ass blender to blend them up. My blender isn't exactly super awesome. It's no excuse for not trying to make one already though. I would have to make them on the weekends and freeze the drinks for the whole week. I can't run the blender early in the morning due to sleeping children. I also don't know what I would freeze the individual servings in (???)

Not into the low carb thing myself (see no need unless diabetic, JMHO).

I lost 65 lbs. last year and am hoping to take off the last 25 this year and here is what I did. I made REAL food, eliminated as much processed foods from my cooking as possible, if I do use processed foods they must be all natural and I need to understand the ingredient list (thank you Trader Joe's for making this so much easier).

A typical meal is a lean meat, veg, and a starch. I have never loved vegetables, but since I started roasting them, have a whole new appreciation for them. I roast brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and green beans. Stir fry is quick and healthy.

I bought some nice spice blends from Penzy's because I tend to be spice impaired unless I have a recipe in front of me, so these are great to sprinkle on meats and veg for lots of extra flavor.

That sounds pretty good!What flavor of whey are you using? I have only found two that I like.Chocolate seems to be the best for most brands.Muscle Milk Cookies-n-cream flavor is good too.It would probably work in your shake.
I have used vanilla, chocolate and the pure stuff from a bulk store. They all work fine. Occasionally, chocolate doesn't work with certain ingredients, but its all good stuff anyway, so I just guzzle it down.

I've been meaning to start making green smoothies but every time I read about them I read that I need a bad ass blender to blend them up. My blender isn't exactly super awesome. It's no excuse for not trying to make one already though. I would have to make them on the weekends and freeze the drinks for the whole week. I can't run the blender early in the morning due to sleeping children. I also don't know what I would freeze the individual servings in (???)

I just have a regular blender. I use lots of frozen fruit, but I microwave it for a few seconds to soften it up so it will blend easier. I would watch out if you freeze them. They separate quickly and need another quick whip to bring back to even consistency.

Back
Top Bottom