Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My comments were addressed to the topic and the discussion, I have no idea what Blissful was referring to.

You remember The Birds? You were one of their groupies, right? :) Come on, they recorded fewer than a dozen songs. You had to be in UK and see them live if you remember them at all.
What are we arguing about?

My point was that no one normally calls them a singing group, 'cause they were a rock 'n roll band.

If you had said that Blissful's "reference person" probably meant The Byrds, not The Birds, I wouldn't have replied.

I don't know what's wrong with you ppl! ;)

"Bird" or "birds" has been Brit slang for women for years, probably decades. If the expression were to become popular in the US it would have happened years ago.

The band's name is not birds, it's The Byrds! They've got some good songs. I remember them when they hit the charts. The ones I remember best are Turn! Turn! Turn! (1965) and Mr. Tambourine Man (1965). Okay I know that many of you weren't born then...

The movie is The Birds (1965), directed by one of the greatest movie directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Suzanne Pleshette... The mood of this horror thriller was incredibly intense!!! :)

I am old enough to remember all of it. I even remember when Noah made his first hit called "Rain, rain, go away." Oh wait, that was a child's rhyme. But I am old enough to remember the great flood. Or was that Katrina? My memory seems to get confused at times. But the two songs you cited, I well remember. I can hum the tunes right now. ;)

From your Wikipedia article:I bet nobody remembers their band except the band members and of course your friend Google! :)

The Byrds released a dozen albums. The Birds recorded fewer than a dozen songs, and released four songs!

Come on TL, you can do better than that to win an argument.

The Brits don't have to feel insecure. They had the greatest band ever: The Beatles! The Beatles will be remembered as long as Beethoven and Mozart.

In some quarters The Beatles are credited with bringing down Communism and bringing down the USSR. This was the first article that came up in my Google search:

Revealed: How The Beatles brought down communism - Daily Record
i had a beatle haircut & a beatle jacket(the collarless one)back in the sixties.funnily enough though greg,i always preferred the rolling stones music & the stones were much naughtier,the beatles had a "clean cut" image.mick & the boys are still packin' 'em in on tour.my son,ben,is only 19 but,even with all the modern bands about,he & his mates for that matter,love the beatles.we play beatles cd's in the car & when i listen to the lyrics now i realise just how good the beatles music was.don't know about the ussr etc but maybe music is mightier than the sword?another brit band & a fav of mine from the 60's/70's are "the kinks" ray davies is such a nice guy & still writes.seen lots of interviews with modern bands & a lot cite the kinks as their inspiration....having said that you have got bruce "the boss" springsteen....he was at the etihad stadium in manchester a few weeks ago....even the rain stopped when the boss walked on stage....no,really,it did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VzsQoR806c

Last edited:
All I remember is The Birds, and yes, I'm sure it's spelled wrong and is The Byrds. I'm not a big bands, rock stars, music person.
I've heard of the Beetles too.:LOL::LOL:
Birds and Bugs, that's apparently what I know.:LOL:

Well, to get back on subject, I personally enjoy chopping and if you don't mix the batter how are you going to get a cake made, muffings, pancakes, etc?

Are you in such a hurry to get through life that you don't want to take the time to feel your food and how it is made and smells? I miis the smell of the earth on a carrot or beet when you pull it out of the ground. The warmth of the sun on a freshly picked ear of corn. :cool:

We bought a Tefal Fresh Express for slicing and grating, like cheese, vegetables etc

I dont mind chopping by hand though :)

i had a beatle haircut & a beatle jacket(the collarless one)back in the sixties.funnily enough though greg,i always preferred the rolling stones music & the stones were much naughtier,the beatles had a "clean cut" image.mick & the boys are still packin' 'em in on tour.my son,ben,is only 19 but,even with all the modern bands about,he & his mates for that matter,love the beatles.we play beatles cd's in the car & when i listen to the lyrics now i realise just how good the beatles music was.don't know about the ussr etc but maybe music is mightier than the sword?another brit band & a fav of mine from the 60's/70's are "the kinks" ray davies is such a nice guy & still writes.seen lots of interviews with modern bands & a lot cite the kinks as their inspiration....having said that you have got bruce "the boss" springsteen....he was at the etihad stadium in manchester a few weeks ago....even the rain stopped when the boss walked on stage....no,really,it did!
The Kinks - Victoria - YouTube

i LOVED the kinks. ray and dave davies (davis, to americans) were geniuses.

celluloid heroes, superman, lola, give the people what they want,... so many great tunes.

although, i heard it was a guy from manchester who inspired their song "art lover".

any relation, harry?

Last edited:
i LOVED the kinks. ray and dave davies (davis, to americans) were geniuses.

celluloid heroes, superman, lola, give the people what they want,... so many great tunes.

although, i heard it was a guy from manchester who inspired their song "art lover".

any relation, harry?
if you haven't recently tom,listen to "waterloo sunset"....some of the most poignant lyrics ever written & no other voice could have delivered that song other than ray davi(e)s imho.
art lover? relation?not from round here originally...from north wales,look you now,lovely boy,is it that you mrs jones,blaenau ffestiniog mountain railway,dai the death,isn't it....me!
lot of debate has raged about the lyrics of that one as you can imagine tom.....painter or something else that begins with a "P"....

This whole conversation is way off topic.
I only had an hour of battery life at the farm--forgot my power supply so am just now getting caught up here. It seems to me we often go "off topic." In a way, it reminds me of conversations I have with friends...we start on one topic and then oops, something s/one says brings something else to mind. I personally love how DC threads start and then move to other thoughts and come back to the subject several posts later. The other nice thing about DC is that if a thread doesn't interest you, you can unsub to it (personally, no offense intended, but I did that with all the hoopala re: July 4th--not celebrated where I live so I didn't follow the thread, checked it off and on, but didn't sub to it).

Having said all that, I would hope that fellow DCers would be tolerant of these little sidetrips (kinda like taking the scenic route on a road trip) and not complain to the mods or owners about such diversions. The title of the forum is "discuss cooking" and discussions often do go off track...such is the nature of human communication. I love the circuitous ways that we return to the topic. And, this thread has gone on for what--22 pages? It would be hard for it not to have diverged many times. We diverge when the thread is only 4 pages long!:yum: I also love how people feel they can say what they think without fear of censorship.

I personally do a lot of chopping, grating, etc. I have my favorite tools--for example, I love my mezzaluna (for chopping herbs). I use it in my great aunt's wooden salad bowl. Come to think of it, the mezzaluna is the only knife in the house that always has a knife guard on it when stored. It is taking me a bit of practice to get the hang of using it efficiently--so far, I only use it for herbs. I think there are other uses for it--anyone?

Last edited:
I only had an hour of battery life at the farm--forgot my power supply so am just now getting caught up here. It seems to me we often go "off topic." In a way, it reminds me of conversations I have with friends...we start on one topic and then oops, something s/one says brings something else to mind. I personally love how DC threads start and then move to other thoughts and come back to the subject several posts later.

Well said!

Back
Top Bottom