Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ray davies in his 60's & still deliverin' the goods @ glastonbury 2010 tom...the best festival in the world & 2010 was about the only year it wasn't a mud bath,i know,i've been..............
Ray Davies(Kinks) Waterloo Sunset Glastonbury 2010 - YouTube

Thank you for posting this, Harry. I hadn't heard it before and I loved it :)

I agree with CWS - these discussions are a lot of fun when they veer around in different directions. The reminder that it had gone off-topic was a bit of a buzz-kill.

I have a few sauce mixes, but I usually end up talking myself out of using them, since I also have tons of spices in my cabinet. Here's one shortcut, though: I have some frozen homemade chicken broth, but I also have this in the fridge, since it doesn't have to thaw ;)

Attachments

• chicken-base.jpg
    chicken-base.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 71

I agree with CWS - these discussions are a lot of fun when they veer around in different directions. The reminder that it had gone off-topic was a bit of a buzz-kill.

I have a few sauce mixes, but I usually end up talking myself out of using them, since I also have tons of spices in my cabinet. Here's one shortcut, though: I have some frozen homemade chicken broth, but I also have this in the fridge, since it doesn't have to thaw ;)
My mom has a jar of that in her pantry--unopened. I make stock from scratch when I'm there, but I'll have to move that to the fridge when I go.

GotGarlic said:

I LOVE this stuff! Have you tried the beef too, GG?

I LOVE this stuff! Have you tried the beef too, GG?

Yes, I have the beef as well. I don't use beef stock as often as chicken stock, but it's handy to have to make a quick gravy when there aren't enough drippings, and I like it better than powdered mixes. Since there's just the two of us, I don't usually cook big cuts of beef, but we *have* to have gravy with meatloaf ;)

Have you tried the fish base? I've been wondering if it would be good in a chowder or bisque.

Last edited:
GotGarlic said:
Yes, I have the beef as well. I don't use beef stock as often as chicken stock, but it's handy to have to make a quick gravy when there aren't enough drippings, and I like it better than powdered mixes. Since there's just the two of us, I don't usually cook big cuts of beef, but we *have* to have gravy with meatloaf ;)

Have you tried the fish base? I've been wondering if it would be good in a chowder or bisque.

Not yet, we don't get it here, but when we do, I will get it. I make my own stock too, but just a bit of this stuff adds such nice flavor! And it does make a nice gravy for 2.

Last edited:

I like the beef for a cup of hot broth when I'm not exactly hungry, but would like something. Does me better than half a bag of potato chips.:pig:

my pleasure GG.i've got the best of kinks cd in the car.nearly worn it out now.brilliant band.
that jar of bouillon looks the business too...must keep me eyes peeled over here for some,probably won't find it tho'....you lot get all the good stuff:(!

I love the "better than bullion". It's flavor is better than powdered, and I just don't take the time to make home made, and can't justify the price of canned. I ALMOST bought canned when I made my tomato basil soup, but after comparing the price per serving, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The stock isn't the star in that kind of soup anyway, just adds a little flavor boost. I have other things to spend my money on unfortunately :/ I have $2300 squirreled away for a downpayment on a car. It was supposed to be my first ever decent car, but now I just signed up for school (I start August 27th!!), so I'm not going to be able to work as much as usual, and now I'm rethinking my plan for a nicer car. Students can get work done on their cars for just the cost of parts, so I'm going to see if they want a project lol. Transmission has been slipping for three years, but now it's getting worse (might be a good diagnostic project for the students), drips fluid from the transaxle, drips oil from the cylinder head, and if I get all that done, I'll probably be driving the stupid car for another 30,000, so I might even see if they'll paint the front clip. It must have been replaced some time before I bought the car, and the paint job wasn't as good as the original paint on the rest of the car, so it's faded to about 6 shades lighter than the rest. It's really a gem...

I don't know what's wrong with you ppl! ;)

"Bird" or "birds" has been Brit slang for women for years, probably decades. If the expression were to become popular in the US it would have happened years ago.

The band's name is not birds, it's The Byrds! They've got some good songs. I remember them when they hit the charts. The ones I remember best are Turn! Turn! Turn! (1965) and Mr. Tambourine Man (1965). Okay I know that many of you weren't born then...

The movie is The Birds (1965), directed by one of the greatest movie directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Suzanne Pleshette... The mood of this horror thriller was incredibly intense!!! :)

Re Birds as slang for women - only by the "older" generation who are stuck in a time warp. Call a modern woman a bird these days and you would probably be spitting most of your teeth out . Same with the racist Irish/ Scottish supposed phrases - not really used and would be considered insulting . Times have moved on somewhat .......just wanted to set the record straight .

In US I believe an synonymous word might be "chick." I have never used the term "bird" to refer to anything that didn't have feathers and a beak -- just wanted to set the record straight. ;)

Greg Who Cooks said:
In US I believe an synonymous word might be "chick." I have never used the term "bird" to refer to anything that didn't have feathers and a beak -- just wanted to set the record straight. ;)

I've heard the expression "old bird" and "chick" but never just "bird" in the us

I love the "better than bullion". It's flavor is better than powdered, and I just don't take the time to make home made, and can't justify the price of canned. I ALMOST bought canned when I made my tomato basil soup, but after comparing the price per serving, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The stock isn't the star in that kind of soup anyway, just adds a little flavor boost. I have other things to spend my money on unfortunately :/ I have $2300 squirreled away for a downpayment on a car. It was supposed to be my first ever decent car, but now I just signed up for school (I start August 27th!!), so I'm not going to be able to work as much as usual, and now I'm rethinking my plan for a nicer car. Students can get work done on their cars for just the cost of parts, so I'm going to see if they want a project lol. Transmission has been slipping for three years, but now it's getting worse (might be a good diagnostic project for the students), drips fluid from the transaxle, drips oil from the cylinder head, and if I get all that done, I'll probably be driving the stupid car for another 30,000, so I might even see if they'll paint the front clip. It must have been replaced some time before I bought the car, and the paint job wasn't as good as the original paint on the rest of the car, so it's faded to about 6 shades lighter than the rest. It's really a gem...

So many of our HS have an automotive shop. They are always clammering for cars to teach the kids on. The only drawback is that your car can be in the shop for a couple of months while the students learn. That is when Public Transportation looks good. If fact, when you do get the car back, you may want to stay with the PT system. You save a ton of money in care care costs. :)

Addie said:
So many of our HS have an automotive shop. They are always clammering for cars to teach the kids on. The only drawback is that your car can be in the shop for a couple of months while the students learn. That is when Public Transportation looks good. If fact, when you do get the car back, you may want to stay with the PT system. You save a ton of money in care care costs. :)

I live too far out of town for PT. Great suggestion though! It might be slightly faster because this is college, not HS, but either way my neighbor said I could use his spare car as long as I brought it in next to get a couple things fixed on it :D

I find the prep work to be fun and relaxing :ermm:

I buy the 'very lazy garlic' for the simple fact that i hate the smell of the stuff :LOL:

I don't like "lazy garlic" either. There's just something not quite right about it. Chop a garlic head or a few cloves and you're adding live garlic to your food. Get it from a bottle preserved in oil and you're using dead garlic. Not the same thing. It starts oxidizing the minute you cut it, and keeping it in oil only slows down its degradation.

If it is the smell of raw garlic on your hands that bothers you, a quick rinse under hot water, soap and rubbing a SS spoon on your hands will take care of that quickly. Don't know why it works, it just does. I like the smell of food on my hands. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom