"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #131
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I actually dont drink soft drink, unless I have it as a mixer with a spirit.

I prefer to drink water

Way too much sugar in soft drinks
I too drink mostly water, or wine with dinner. No soft drinks. I don't have a sweet tooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I freeze the rest of the juice in ice cube trays. I detest bottled lime or lemon juice.
I've done exactly that. Ingredients: lemon. That's it.

Tip: Measure a specific amount, perhaps a tablespoon, and pour it into one of the sections of the ice cube tray. Then fill up the rest of the sections to the same level. Result: You have a tray full of all the same measurement lemon juice cubes. (Well there'll be one that's the runt of the litter.)

Old 08-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #132
Chef Extraordinaire

I typically do 1T cubes, but have another tray that is smaller (I'll have to measure the amount for that one...). I do this with grapefruit juice as well. I buy citrus just for the sole purpose of making ice cubes out of them.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #133
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Harry, I agree with you: there are some prepared products out there that are better commercially made. My belief is, "never make at home what you can find better already made". My choice is Barilla Pesto sauce.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #134
Executive Chef

That's funny, my belief is "if you make it yourself at home it will always be better than something out of a bottle."

I hear (from the book Ratio) that home made mayonnaise is incredibly better than store bought mayonnaise. Does anybody care to comment on that?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #135
Assistant Cook

Mayo is alot better made at home , but it is not very common because it is so easy to buy it in a store and homemade goes bad really fast. The one thing that I refuse to buy premade other than chopped garlic or onions is stocks. It takes a little work but my freezers are full of frozen stocks, I might be weird but save all my bones, seafood shells , celery tops ect and spend weekends making and freezing different stocks. I find that the extra effort is worth it in the end and I can cusomize different stocks just like I want it.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #136
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish_33 View Post
Mayo is alot better made at home , but it is not very common because it is so easy to buy it in a store and homemade goes bad really fast. The one thing that I refuse to buy premade other than chopped garlic or onions is stocks. It takes a little work but my freezers are full of frozen stocks, I might be weird but save all my bones, seafood shells , celery tops ect and spend weekends making and freezing different stocks. I find that the extra effort is worth it in the end and I can cusomize different stocks just like I want it.
I find that mayo keeps about 5 days. I use one yolk, about 3/4 c olive oil, juice from one lemon, and a bit of mustard, S&P. Besides keeping the stuff you've mentioned, I also keep the water (not all the time, but often enough!) from the veggies I steam. At this time of year, I'm blanching a lot of veggies, so have more veggie juice than I need. I also use the carrot tops (if I don't feed them to the chickens). And, the onion skins--toss those in a zippie, freeze, and add to stock. And, if I don't feed it to the hens, I keep the pulp when I juice veggies. This also goes in the freezer for stock/soup in the winter.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #137
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
That's funny, my belief is "if you make it yourself at home it will always be better than something out of a bottle."

I hear (from the book Ratio) that home made mayonnaise is incredibly better than store bought mayonnaise. Does anybody care to comment on that?
When I was in Jr. High and in the Home Ec. class, we had some VIPs visiting. They were determining if the Home Ec. class was worth the expense. We made mayo and served it with a salad for their lunch. They were so impressed and the Home Ec. class stayed in the curriculum. We also served homemade tomato soup with the salad. Raves for both foods. But mostly for the mayo.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #138
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When I was in Jr. High and in the Home Ec. class, we had some VIPs visiting. They were determining if the Home Ec. class was worth the expense. We made mayo and served it with a salad for their lunch. They were so impressed and the Home Ec. class stayed in the curriculum. We also served homemade tomato soup with the salad. Raves for both foods. But mostly for the mayo.
I gotta swear by homemade mayo--BUT I also have to say with fresh eggs, it is even better! And so easy to do. I can hardly wait for the tomatoes...homemade mayo on homemade ww bread topped with a garden fresh tomato, some chopped fresh basil from the garden....yum, yum, yum.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #139
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
Harry, I agree with you: there are some prepared products out there that are better commercially made. My belief is, "never make at home what you can find better already made". My choice is Barilla Pesto sauce.
ah,at last,the voice of reason z!
i don't want to introduce a serious note(wot 'arry cobean serious...bleedin' 'ell) anyone who has seen my photo's of what i cook knows that i cook just about everything from scratch.the whole point of me starting this thread was that SOMETIMES when the devil drives & time dictates there are some excellent,totally/largely natural ingredients/sauces/substitutes out there that fit the bill perfectly well.
right,that's all,let battle re-commence!
Old 08-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #140
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I also use a jarred pasta sauce, most of the time...Bertolli's...it's just as good as mine and no odd ingredients.