"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #141
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I also use a jarred pasta sauce, most of the time...Bertolli's...it's just as good as mine and no odd ingredients.
It is fairly high in sodium. And, I can't find the ingredients list re: the type of nuts used...
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #142
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I also use a jarred pasta sauce, most of the time...Bertolli's...it's just as good as mine and no odd ingredients.
correct princess,loyd grossman does some pretty darn good sauces too....all natural ingredients "justa lika mamma useda to makea" can't do an indian or thai accent but he does pretty goods ones of those too,with the same ingredients that you and i would make them with
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #143
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is fairly high in sodium. And, I can't find the ingredients list re: the type of nuts used...
What nuts? I was talking about tomato pasta sauces and the sodium is less than others and NOT sweet.

I use De Lallo Pesto sauce. Pine nuts, high sodium...but I use very little.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #144
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is fairly high in sodium. And, I can't find the ingredients list re: the type of nuts used...
i know cw & you're right if something is high in sodium etc but going back to what i said before.these are occasional subs not daily usage.as part of my diet regime,if i have "over indulged" one day,i compensate/detox the next day.
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #145
Senior Cook
 
zfranca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SARZANA, La Spezia
Posts: 227
Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I also use a jarred pasta sauce, most of the time...Bertolli's...it's just as good as mine and no odd ingredients.
Very rarely I find something that is better than what I make at home. But when I do, I am grateful to the company who has marketed the product. Thank you BARILLA...for making pesto sauce available with that true sweet Italian basil taste, in a country like Mexico were the basil smells like cinnamon....
__________________
We are all angels with one wing. Only together we can fly.
www.cookingwithfranca.blogspot.com
zfranca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #146
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I gotta swear by homemade mayo--BUT I also have to say with fresh eggs, it is even better! And so easy to do. I can hardly wait for the tomatoes...homemade mayo on homemade ww bread topped with a garden fresh tomato, some chopped fresh basil from the garden....yum, yum, yum.
I'll try the home made mayo hopefully one day soon. My stick blender is in storage!

Home grown tomatoes are the best too. They're the easiest plant to grow, and they're the most huge difference between home grown and store bought. At home they ripen on the vine. At stores they're ripened in the truck.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #147
Assistant Cook
 
redfish_33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lafayette, LA, USA
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca
Very rarely I find something that is better than what I make at home. But when I do, I am grateful to the company who has marketed the product. Thank you BARILLA...for making pesto sauce available with that true sweet Italian basil taste, in a country like Mexico were the basil smells like cinnamon....
I know what you mean about mexican basil, I lived there also and had trouble finding ingredients for any dish other than mexican food. The one good thing about Mexico is all the beautiful fresh or dried ingredients that you can find to cook Mexican dishes. I miss all the cheeses , creams , and spices that I used in my food. My biggest problem that I have is tortillas, there is no place around here to get a good tortilla. I have my favorite brands that I can reheat with rendered pork fat but I miss going to the tortillaria for my fresh ones. Ohh I miss the panaderias also.
__________________
redfish_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #148
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,873
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'll try the home made mayo hopefully one day soon. My stick blender is in storage!

Home grown tomatoes are the best too. They're the easiest plant to grow, and they're the most huge difference between home grown and store bought. At home they ripen on the vine. At stores they're ripened in the truck.
I have made mayo with a whisk, with a stand mixer, and with a blender. The blender is a bit harsher, so it requires a modified recipe. Blender mayo isn't as thick, but tastes great. It took quite a while to make the mayo with a whisk. The stuff in the stand mixer easily gets almost too thick.

Are pasteurized eggs available where you live? CWS gets her eggs from chickens who have been vaccinated for salmonella, so hers are safe raw.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #149
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
In the US, pasteurized eggs are marked with a pink "P." You can also pasteurize the yolk in the microwave--http://www.christonium.com/culinaryreview/How_To_Make_Pasteurized_Eggs_Cooking_With_Raw_Eggs

Even though I bought vaccinated chicks/hens, keep them clean, and know where they have been, I still pasteurize the yolk.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #150
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish_33 View Post
I know what you mean about mexican basil, I lived there also and had trouble finding ingredients for any dish other than mexican food. The one good thing about Mexico is all the beautiful fresh or dried ingredients that you can find to cook Mexican dishes. I miss all the cheeses , creams , and spices that I used in my food. My biggest problem that I have is tortillas, there is no place around here to get a good tortilla. I have my favorite brands that I can reheat with rendered pork fat but I miss going to the tortillaria for my fresh ones. Ohh I miss the panaderias also.
Flour tortillas are very easy to make at home. The corn ones are a bit trickier, but can be done. When I lived in NB, I could not get tortillas, so I learned to make my own. This was ... about 25 years' ago. I have been making my own tortillas ever since.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.