"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #161
Certified Pretend Chef

Blender, FP, immersion blender would all work to make a good mayonnaise.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #162
Executive Chef

It occurs to me that I have both a Cuisinart stick blender and a Cuisinart food processor.

TL I'm a bit confused to which appliance you are referring to.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
It occurs to me that I have both a Cuisinart stick blender and a Cuisinart food processor.

TL I'm a bit confused to which appliance you are referring to.
Immersion blender with a mini food processor attachment and a whisk attachment.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #164
Executive Chef

Ah, okay. We prolly have the same Cuisinart stick blender.

This pretty much looks like the one I've got, except the photo doesn't show the whisk.

I like it although I haven't really used it as much as I should have. I can almost see my mayonnaise in that cup/jar shown at right.

I've gotten really enthusiastic since I read Ratio and got all interested in testing the author's claim that home made mayonnaise is a lot better than store bought.

I pretty much believe him. And the gang here on the forum seems to agree with the hypothesis too.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #165
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

This pretty much looks like the one I've got, except the photo doesn't show the whisk.

I like it although I haven't really used it as much as I should have. I can almost see my mayonnaise in that cup/jar shown at right.

I've gotten really enthusiastic since I read Ratio and got all interested in testing the author's claim that home made mayonnaise is a lot better than store bought.

I pretty much believe him. And the gang here on the forum seems to agree with the hypothesis too.
I personally like homemade mayo. There are pros and cons to making mayo. You won't get the shelf-life. It doesn't freeze (neither does commercial). You get to select the oil you use. You can play with the number of yolks. You can make it with the whole egg. You can flavor it as you wish (you can do that with commercial mayo too). You experience the thrill of having it all come together as a perfect mayo. And, it really doesn't take that long.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #166
Executive Chef

It's interesting, I recall in Ratio that the author said you need only one yolk (no white) and it doesn't depend on the amount of oil and water. That's within reason of course. Nobody is going to try making a gallon of mayonnaise with just one yolk. (I'm pretty sure I remember this right, the author's point of the whole book was ratios of ingredients, including exceptions.)

When I get my stuff out of storage, including the stick blender, I'll be in acquisition mode and get his book and give the mayonnaise recipe a try. Everybody says home made is better than store, and nobody has argued against that.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Nope, mine looks like this:

But, pretty much the same thing, I guess. I think mine is prettier.

I don't find that big a difference between homemade mayo and Hellmans mayo. I used to make it all the time, back in the early '80s. Then I tested and found that Hellmans jars were safe for canning, so if I counted the cost of the jar (I did a fare bit of canning back then), it was cheaper to buy Hellmans than to make it.

Nowadays, I would need to find pasteurized eggs. I do not want to go through the effort of pasteurizing them myself, not for mayo that's only a little bit better than store bought.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #168
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Nope, mine looks like this:

... (picture deleted)

But, pretty much the same thing, I guess. I think mine is prettier.
I recall a bit of my confusion now, my Hamilton-Beach has the stirring attachment. It also has two speeds, and I like that feature! I like both of my stick blenders and they're inexpensive enough to not worry about the price.

Quote:
I don't find that big a difference between homemade mayo and Hellmans mayo. I used to make it all the time, back in the early '80s. Then I tested and found that Hellmans jars were safe for canning, so if I counted the cost of the jar (I did a fare bit of canning back then), it was cheaper to buy Hellmans than to make it.
I used to repurpose jars for canning too. Why not? Free jar, although the lids aren't as fancy as the two part lids where you can see the vacuum suck in the diaphragm.

Quote:
Nowadays, I would need to find pasteurized eggs. I do not want to go through the effort of pasteurizing them myself, not for mayo that's only a little bit better than store bought.
This is the first mention I've seen of needing pasteurized eggs. None of the recipes I've seen suggested that (both Internet and in the book Prime). Is that really necessary? I sometimes eat raw eggs in various recipes (have been since I was a kid) and I've never had any problem with eggs.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

I used to repurpose jars for canning too. Why not? Free jar, although the lids aren't as fancy as the two part lids where you can see the vacuum suck in the diaphragm.
The Helmanns jars back then fit a canning lid! That was why I saved them. Also, I never had one of those break in the hot water bath, but occasionally had a brand new canning jar break while canning.

Quote:
This is the first mention I've seen of needing pasteurized eggs. None of the recipes I've seen suggested that (both Internet and in the book Prime). Is that really necessary? I sometimes eat raw eggs in various recipes (have been since I was a kid) and I've never had any problem with eggs.
CWS mentioned that she pasteurizes the egg yolks. The recipe for mayo in the booklet that came with my immersion blender says to use Egg Beaters or some other pasteurized egg product.

When you were a kid, I don't think the raw egg risk was as high. Salmonella isn't very common, but I hear it is extremely unpleasant. It's also fairly serious for the immune deficient and the elderly. We may not be quite elderly yet, but we ain't spring chickens.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #170
Executive Chef

Quote:
The Helmanns jars back then fit a canning lid! That was why I saved them.
It's been so long that I forgot until now, you reuse the jars but throw away the lids and get new each year.

Quote:
We may not be quite elderly yet, but we ain't spring chickens.
I haven't been doing much clucking lately...

I don't know, maybe I'm an idiot. I'll probably use a raw egg anyway.

Or not. I just Googled the instructions and not that hard. 140F for 3 minutes, then cold water. I'm really interested in getting a sous vide... Yeah, I know that would be way over-kill.