"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #171
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
It's been so long that I forgot until now, you reuse the jars but throw away the lids and get new each year.

I haven't been doing much clucking lately...

I don't know, maybe I'm an idiot. I'll probably use a raw egg anyway.

Or not. I just Googled the instructions and not that hard. 140F for 3 minutes, then cold water. I'm really interested in getting a sous vide... Yeah, I know that would be way over-kill.
If I understand pasturizing correctly, just heat to 180 degrees F and you are pasturized.......well, your egg is.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #172
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
If I understand pasturizing correctly, just heat to 180 degrees F and you are pasturized.......well, your egg is.
Yes, but then it's "hard boiled" and not a lot of use for making mayo. There are all kinds of techniques on the web for pasteurizing egg yokes and egg whites, so you can still use them for sauces or meringues.

Pasteurized might be an inaccurate term for it, but heated enough to kill salmonella.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:48 PM   #173
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yes, but then it's "hard boiled" and not a lot of use for making mayo. There are all kinds of techniques on the web for pasteurizing egg yokes and egg whites, so you can still use them for sauces or meringues.

Pasteurized might be an inaccurate term for it, but heated enough to kill salmonella.
You are right, it's 140 degrees F. Pickles are 180 degrees F. I'm surprised you didn't mention the temperature, maybe you've never done it. It doesn't matter really. Pasteurizing doesn't seem that tough of a thing to do, three minutes at 140 degrees F, to make it safe.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #174
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady

The Helmanns jars back then fit a canning lid! That was why I saved them. Also, I never had one of those break in the hot water bath, but occasionally had a brand new canning jar break while canning.

CWS mentioned that she pasteurizes the egg yolks. The recipe for mayo in the booklet that came with my immersion blender says to use Egg Beaters or some other pasteurized egg product.

When you were a kid, I don't think the raw egg risk was as high. Salmonella isn't very common, but I hear it is extremely unpleasant. It's also fairly serious for the immune deficient and the elderly. We may not be quite elderly yet, but we ain't spring chickens.
You are correct about salmonella being extremely unpleasant. It wasn't officially diagnosed, but I ate at a local fast food restaurant, and was violently ill for a little over 24 hours, and then it came out on the news that they had salmonella in their lettuce. I'm assuming that's what I had. I was so sick that I should have gone to the ER to be treated for dehydration, but I knew I wouldn't make it there without having something come out of one end or the other, so I decided to just curl up in my bed and die (I probably wasn't thinking too clearly at that point). I don't recommend salmonella lol.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #175
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
You are correct about salmonella being extremely unpleasant. It wasn't officially diagnosed, but I ate at a local fast food restaurant, and was violently ill for a little over 24 hours, and then it came out on the news that they had salmonella in their lettuce. I'm assuming that's what I had. I was so sick that I should have gone to the ER to be treated for dehydration, but I knew I wouldn't make it there without having something come out of one end or the other, so I decided to just curl up in my bed and die (I probably wasn't thinking too clearly at that point). I don't recommend salmonella lol.
Most chickens are vaccinated before they are sold if one buys from a commercial hatchery. I still "heat" the yolk just to be safe. I do the same for cesear salad dressing and other things calling for a raw egg or yolk and which is not cooked.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 AM   #176
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Most chickens are vaccinated before they are sold if one buys from a commercial hatchery. I still "heat" the yolk just to be safe. I do the same for cesear salad dressing and other things calling for a raw egg or yolk and which is not cooked.
So is the salmonella in the egg? I always thought it was just on the outside of the shell.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #177
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A chicken infected with salmonella can lay infected eggs.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #178
Head Chef

Salmonella can be on the outside or in the inside of the eggs.
CDC Features - Tips to Reduce Your Risk of Salmonella from Eggs

I always thought it could only be on the outside of the eggs too. With vaccinations for chickens, at commercial operations, then I guess it could only be on the outside.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #179
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Have I mentioned that I hate having to treat food as though it were medical waste?
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #180
Executive Chef

i'm staying out of this one.....fast learner me!!