"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #181
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i'm staying out of this one.....fast learner me!!

I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Fast learner? After the booze, birds, & fast cars.......fast learner? Which came first the salmonella egg or the bird? Get working on it!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #182
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Fast learner? After the booze, birds, & fast cars.......fast learner? Which came first the salmonella egg or the bird? Get working on it!
i'm a british gentleman bellissimafullalurvvvvve....always the bird!!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #183
Head Chef

Quote:
i'm a british gentleman bellissimafullalurvvvvve....always the bird!!
Harry, really, 'the bird' or 'birds'.....I never hear that expression here. I have heard the expressions 'chicks' many times. I wonder how many years before the US uses that expression......everything seems to take three years to get here.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #184
Executive Chef

Quote:
Harry, really, 'the bird' or 'birds'.....I never hear that expression here. I have heard the expressions 'chicks' many times. I wonder how many years before the US uses that expression......everything seems to take three years to get here.
steady on sweetheart....one at a time please,british birds are very patient....they don't mind waiting in line!!
3 years? gawd luvva duck me old china,we've been calling 'em birds since the 50's.where've you been then?
Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #185
Head Chef

Quote:
steady on sweetheart....one at a time please,british birds are very patient....they don't mind waiting in line!!
3 years? gawd luvva duck me old china,we've been calling 'em birds since the 50's.where've you been then?
I must have been in a coma. I've never heard 'birds' before......ever.
By the way Harry, I've NEVER heard that before. Since the 50's? I spent the entire first 50 years in my life, in a coma apparently. Darn it if being sheltered is a way of life here.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #186
Executive Chef

Quote:
I must have been in a coma. I've never heard 'birds' before......ever.
By the way Harry, I've NEVER heard that before. Since the 50's? I spent the entire first 50 years in my life, in a coma apparently. Darn it if being sheltered is a way of life here.
maybe not such a bad thing....i mean,look how i've turned out....but i'm more to be pitied than despised
Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #187
Head Chef

Quote:
maybe not such a bad thing....i mean,look how i've turned out....but i'm more to be pitied than despised
Okay so, now I've just talked to a leading US reference person (you know who) about the 'birds'. The BIRDS are a reference to a musical singing group, and not to women. I'm not the first person to be led a-rye by something I read on the internet.So matey--I say this, meh.
I don't despise you, at all, not in the least. But you do....make me laugh. Fist-bump me buddy.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #188
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Okay so, now I've just talked to a leading US reference person (you know who) about the 'birds'. The BIRDS are a reference to a musical singing group, and not to women. I'm not the first person to be led a-rye by something I read on the internet.So matey--I say this, meh.
I don't despise you, at all, not in the least. But you do....make me laugh. Fist-bump me buddy.
I've never heard The Birds referred to as a musical singing group. Okay, they were a group and they sang, but they were a rock 'n roll band, sometimes referred to as a rhythm and blues band.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #189
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful

As a young teen, many eons ago, I was a follower of mags like Tiger Beat, which frequently interviewed British musicians of the era. I do recall them referring to girls as birds!

And the band was the Byrds....
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #190
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've never heard The Birds referred to as a musical singing group. Okay, they were a group and they sang, but they were a rock 'n roll band, sometimes referred to as a rhythm and blues band.
And you are so right, see, this is what I learn on the internet.....more blorp than necessary.