"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #181
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i'm staying out of this one.....fast learner me!!

I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Fast learner? After the booze, birds, & fast cars.......fast learner? Which came first the salmonella egg or the bird? Get working on it!
__________________

__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #182
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Fast learner? After the booze, birds, & fast cars.......fast learner? Which came first the salmonella egg or the bird? Get working on it!
i'm a british gentleman bellissimafullalurvvvvve....always the bird!!
__________________

__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #183
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i'm a british gentleman bellissimafullalurvvvvve....always the bird!!
Harry, really, 'the bird' or 'birds'.....I never hear that expression here. I have heard the expressions 'chicks' many times. I wonder how many years before the US uses that expression......everything seems to take three years to get here.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #184
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Harry, really, 'the bird' or 'birds'.....I never hear that expression here. I have heard the expressions 'chicks' many times. I wonder how many years before the US uses that expression......everything seems to take three years to get here.
steady on sweetheart....one at a time please,british birds are very patient....they don't mind waiting in line!!
3 years? gawd luvva duck me old china,we've been calling 'em birds since the 50's.where've you been then?
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #185
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
steady on sweetheart....one at a time please,british birds are very patient....they don't mind waiting in line!!
3 years? gawd luvva duck me old china,we've been calling 'em birds since the 50's.where've you been then?
I must have been in a coma. I've never heard 'birds' before......ever.
By the way Harry, I've NEVER heard that before. Since the 50's? I spent the entire first 50 years in my life, in a coma apparently. Darn it if being sheltered is a way of life here.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #186
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I must have been in a coma. I've never heard 'birds' before......ever.
By the way Harry, I've NEVER heard that before. Since the 50's? I spent the entire first 50 years in my life, in a coma apparently. Darn it if being sheltered is a way of life here.
maybe not such a bad thing....i mean,look how i've turned out....but i'm more to be pitied than despised
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #187
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
maybe not such a bad thing....i mean,look how i've turned out....but i'm more to be pitied than despised
Okay so, now I've just talked to a leading US reference person (you know who) about the 'birds'. The BIRDS are a reference to a musical singing group, and not to women. I'm not the first person to be led a-rye by something I read on the internet.So matey--I say this, meh.
I don't despise you, at all, not in the least. But you do....make me laugh. Fist-bump me buddy.
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #188
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,869
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Okay so, now I've just talked to a leading US reference person (you know who) about the 'birds'. The BIRDS are a reference to a musical singing group, and not to women. I'm not the first person to be led a-rye by something I read on the internet.So matey--I say this, meh.
I don't despise you, at all, not in the least. But you do....make me laugh. Fist-bump me buddy.
I've never heard The Birds referred to as a musical singing group. Okay, they were a group and they sang, but they were a rock 'n roll band, sometimes referred to as a rhythm and blues band.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #189
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful

Okay so, now I've just talked to a leading US reference person (you know who) about the 'birds'. The BIRDS are a reference to a musical singing group, and not to women. I'm not the first person to be led a-rye by something I read on the internet.So matey--I say this, meh.
I don't despise you, at all, not in the least. But you do....make me laugh. Fist-bump me buddy.
As a young teen, many eons ago, I was a follower of mags like Tiger Beat, which frequently interviewed British musicians of the era. I do recall them referring to girls as birds!

And the band was the Byrds....
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #190
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've never heard The Birds referred to as a musical singing group. Okay, they were a group and they sang, but they were a rock 'n roll band, sometimes referred to as a rhythm and blues band.
And you are so right, see, this is what I learn on the internet.....more blorp than necessary.
__________________

__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.