"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't see single ingredient prepared foods to be cheating, just smart for the busy cook. I use the jarred garlic, ginger...mostly because I can't use it up fast enough to buy fresh.

I am basically cooking for one anymore, Shrek doesn't want anything that I cook fresh, even if I can puree it so he can eat it.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I too like the minced garlic and ginger. The Knorr packaged hollandaise and bernaise sauces that PF had rec'ed are so good as well.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Roasted garlic sauce!!!!!!! Me want to gather some of that!

I really like your idea of getting sauce on the side. I hate soggy sweet & sour pork. It will make a better dipping sauce.
hi Z it is actually really good.need garlic bread?....just wack it on a flatbread & bang it in the oven.moules mariniere? mussels,garlic sauce,white wine...done.aioli? few drops in a dollop of mayo...sorted.don't get me wrong Z,i do all the chopping & peeling etc but,as i said in my reply to glc,sometimes i just don't get the time.............
Old 07-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Must keep me mince pies peeled for that hollandaise. Its one thing I really can't be fagged making.
tesco darlin',about 1.25 a pop.stick some of the roasted garlic sauce in it & it's orgasmagizmo.....costal anterio....scorchio!! fagged eh? don't think i missed that one your magnificence
Old 07-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I LOVE making sauces! It is the one part of cooking that I love to take time for. Though I will admit I do buy a specific brand of Thai sweet chili sauce. At school in our final practical exam I was told in front of all the other students that I had the best sauce for my halibut (a citrus veloute). The other reason for making from scratch is DH's intolerances...I know what it is in the sauces!

Chopping garlic and ginger are not my favourites (arthritic hands) but I have found the right tools for the job because I am less fond of the jarred varieties.

But these products are great for those who don't have the time or patience to do things and still want to be creative in the kitchen.

Some "cheats" I do use are pre-peeled garlic cloves, bagged salad greens and veggies, mango and pineapple spears, and peeled corn on the cob (we have a great brand at Costco we can get year round!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I don't see single ingredient prepared foods to be cheating, just smart for the busy cook. I use the jarred garlic, ginger...mostly because I can't use it up fast enough to buy fresh.

I am basically cooking for one anymore, Shrek doesn't want anything that I cook fresh, even if I can puree it so he can eat it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I too like the minced garlic and ginger. The Knorr packaged hollandaise and bernaise sauces that PF had rec'ed are so good as well.
good evening ladies,it's 5:45pm here & i'm about to do some cooking....i shall expect some photo's of your fav's upon my return
Old 07-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Harry, Buonasera,

How are the preservatives and chemicals in these bottled products ? Is there Soy in these jars ?

I do not use any product with Soy ( allergies ) and read all labels thoroughly.

What is the sodium and sugar in these products ?

Have a stunning wkend,
Ciao.
Margi.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Sun Dried Tomatoes & Sweet Basque Piquillo Peppers

The two jar products I make an exception to purchase are Italian Sun Dried Tomatoes in Evoo when in Spain, and Basque Sweet Piquillo Peppers when in Madrid ...

Jar Italian Tomato Sauce: Barilla Basil Tomato instead of using Tomato Paste ... It is natural ...

Have lovely wkend.
Ciao, Margaux.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

some things...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garn]banzos.png
Views:	94
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	14527   Click image for larger version

Name:	products.anchovy.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	14530  

Attached Images

Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Harry, Buonasera,

How are the preservatives and chemicals in these bottled products ? Is there Soy in these jars ?

I do not use any product with Soy ( allergies ) and read all labels thoroughly.

What is the sodium and sugar in these products ?

Have a stunning wkend,
Ciao.
Margi.
'evening margi
i don't buy anything with with artificial ingredients,preservatives or colours in them....apart from some of the guilty pleasures stuff but those are occasional/rare treats,so what the heck!.nowadays,particularly in home produced products,it is very rare to find any artificial ingredients anyway.i am fortunate in that i don't have any allergies,health problems affected by diet or excess weight & as the point of these products/this post is that they are not used daily,merely when i don't have time for prep,the occasional extra bit of salt or sugar doesn't worry me.i too check ingredients in detail,one never knows,does one!
ciao
harry
Old 07-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
some things...
i see a bit of a ginger,garlic,chilli,hollandaise thing going on there too princess,good stuff your royal highness!!
right,it's 6:20pm & haven't started cooking yet....got side tracked by your's & margi's posts....but it would be ungallant of me to keep a lady waiting!
au revoir!