"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #191
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
As a young teen, many eons ago, I was a follower of mags like Tiger Beat, which frequently interviewed British musicians of the era. I do recall them referring to girls as birds!
Dawg,,,, blorp and birds....you are making history with your inventions of words.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #192
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Okay so, now I've just talked to a leading US reference person (you know who) about the 'birds'. The BIRDS are a reference to a musical singing group, and not to women. I'm not the first person to be led a-rye by something I read on the internet.So matey--I say this, meh.
I don't despise you, at all, not in the least. But you do....make me laugh. Fist-bump me buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I've never heard The Birds referred to as a musical singing group. Okay, they were a group and they sang, but they were a rock 'n roll band, sometimes referred to as a rhythm and blues band.
thought the birds was a hitchcock film! there was indeed a band called the birds & trust me ladies,we have referred to young attractive ladies as "birds" since the 50's or 60's over here as in "phwoar look at the charlies on that bird" or "gotcha self a new bird then 'ave yer 'arry" or "where's your bird then 'arry"...sure you get the picture.umm,fist,ermm,bumping as we speak bliss!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #193
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
As a young teen, many eons ago, I was a follower of mags like Tiger Beat, which frequently interviewed British musicians of the era. I do recall them referring to girls as birds!
gawd bless ya dawg,the voice of reason!!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #194
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
thought the birds was a hitchcock film! there was indeed a band called the birds & trust me ladies,we have referred to young attractive ladies as "birds" since the 50's or 60's over here as in "phwoar look at the charlies on that bird" or "gotcha self a new bird then 'ave yer 'arry" or "where's your bird then 'arry"...sure you get the picture.umm,fist,ermm,bumping as we speak bliss!
I loved the movie 'the birds'. Everything else you say...err 'arry'...I can imagine it 'arry'. She had 'charlies'? Hmmm again, never heard of that either. I guess I learn something new everyday.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #195
Executive Chef

Quote:
I loved the movie 'the birds'. Everything else you say...err 'arry'...I can imagine it 'arry'. She had 'charlies'? Hmmm again, never heard of that either. I guess I learn something new everyday.
charlies....you've learned two new things today and they are a matching pair!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #196
Executive Chef

I don't know what's wrong with you ppl!

"Bird" or "birds" has been Brit slang for women for years, probably decades. If the expression were to become popular in the US it would have happened years ago.

The band's name is not birds, it's The Byrds! They've got some good songs. I remember them when they hit the charts. The ones I remember best are Turn! Turn! Turn! (1965) and Mr. Tambourine Man (1965). Okay I know that many of you weren't born then...

The movie is The Birds (1965), directed by one of the greatest movie directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Suzanne Pleshette... The mood of this horror thriller was incredibly intense!!!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #197
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I don't know what's wrong with you ppl!

"Bird" or "birds" has been Brit slang for women for years, probably decades. If the expression were to become popular in the US it would have happened years ago.

The band's name is not birds, it's The Byrds! They've got some good songs. I remember them when they hit the charts. The ones I remember best are Turn! Turn! Turn! (1965) and Mr. Tambourine Man (1965). Okay I know that many of you weren't born then...

The movie is The Birds (1965), directed by one of the greatest movie directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Suzanne Pleshette... The mood of this horror thriller was incredibly intense!!!
The Byrds was a US band. The Birds (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was a Brit band.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #198
Executive Chef

Quote:
The Byrds was a US band. The Birds (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was a Brit band.
From your Wikipedia article:
Quote:
The Birds were a popular rhythm and blues band in the United Kingdom during the mid 1960s, although they recorded fewer than a dozen songs and released only four singles.
I bet nobody remembers their band except the band members and of course your friend Google!

The Byrds released a dozen albums. The Birds recorded fewer than a dozen songs, and released four songs!

Come on TL, you can do better than that to win an argument.

The Brits don't have to feel insecure. They had the greatest band ever: The Beatles! The Beatles will be remembered as long as Beethoven and Mozart.

In some quarters The Beatles are credited with bringing down Communism and bringing down the USSR. This was the first article that came up in my Google search:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk...t-down-1034955
Old 08-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #199
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Okay so, now I've just talked to a leading US reference person (you know who) about the 'birds'. The BIRDS are a reference to a musical singing group, and not to women. I'm not the first person to be led a-rye by something I read on the internet.So matey--I say this, meh.
I don't despise you, at all, not in the least. But you do....make me laugh. Fist-bump me buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
From your Wikipedia article:I bet nobody remembers their band except the band members and of course your friend Google!

The Byrds released a dozen albums. The Birds recorded fewer than a dozen songs, and released four songs!

Come on TL, you can do better than that to win an argument.

The Brits don't have to feel insecure. They had the greatest band ever: The Beatles! The Beatles will be remembered as long as Beethoven and Mozart.

In some quarters The Beatles are credited with bringing down Communism and bringing down the USSR. This was the first article that came up in my Google search:

Revealed: How The Beatles brought down communism - Daily Record
So you figure that Blissful's reference person meant The Byrds and not The Birds?

Sorry, I remember both bands.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #200
Executive Chef

Quote:
So you figure that Blissful's reference person meant The Byrds and not The Birds?

Sorry, I remember both bands.
My comments were addressed to the topic and the discussion, I have no idea what Blissful was referring to.

You remember The Birds? You were one of their groupies, right? Come on, they recorded fewer than a dozen songs. You had to be in UK and see them live if you remember them at all.