"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #201
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
My comments were addressed to the topic and the discussion, I have no idea what Blissful was referring to.

You remember The Birds? You were one of their groupies, right? Come on, they recorded fewer than a dozen songs. You had to be in UK and see them live if you remember them at all.
What are we arguing about?

My point was that no one normally calls them a singing group, 'cause they were a rock 'n roll band.

If you had said that Blissful's "reference person" probably meant The Byrds, not The Birds, I wouldn't have replied.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #202
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If you had said that Blissful's "reference person" probably meant The Byrds, not The Birds, I wouldn't have replied.
Who is Blissful?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #203
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I don't know what's wrong with you ppl!

"Bird" or "birds" has been Brit slang for women for years, probably decades. If the expression were to become popular in the US it would have happened years ago.

The band's name is not birds, it's The Byrds! They've got some good songs. I remember them when they hit the charts. The ones I remember best are Turn! Turn! Turn! (1965) and Mr. Tambourine Man (1965). Okay I know that many of you weren't born then...

The movie is The Birds (1965), directed by one of the greatest movie directors of all time, Alfred Hitchcock. Starring Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, Suzanne Pleshette... The mood of this horror thriller was incredibly intense!!!
I am old enough to remember all of it. I even remember when Noah made his first hit called "Rain, rain, go away." Oh wait, that was a child's rhyme. But I am old enough to remember the great flood. Or was that Katrina? My memory seems to get confused at times. But the two songs you cited, I well remember. I can hum the tunes right now.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #204
Executive Chef

Quote:
From your Wikipedia article:I bet nobody remembers their band except the band members and of course your friend Google!

The Byrds released a dozen albums. The Birds recorded fewer than a dozen songs, and released four songs!

Come on TL, you can do better than that to win an argument.

The Brits don't have to feel insecure. They had the greatest band ever: The Beatles! The Beatles will be remembered as long as Beethoven and Mozart.

In some quarters The Beatles are credited with bringing down Communism and bringing down the USSR. This was the first article that came up in my Google search:

Revealed: How The Beatles brought down communism - Daily Record
i had a beatle haircut & a beatle jacket(the collarless one)back in the sixties.funnily enough though greg,i always preferred the rolling stones music & the stones were much naughtier,the beatles had a "clean cut" image.mick & the boys are still packin' 'em in on tour.my son,ben,is only 19 but,even with all the modern bands about,he & his mates for that matter,love the beatles.we play beatles cd's in the car & when i listen to the lyrics now i realise just how good the beatles music was.don't know about the ussr etc but maybe music is mightier than the sword?another brit band & a fav of mine from the 60's/70's are "the kinks" ray davies is such a nice guy & still writes.seen lots of interviews with modern bands & a lot cite the kinks as their inspiration....having said that you have got bruce "the boss" springsteen....he was at the etihad stadium in manchester a few weeks ago....even the rain stopped when the boss walked on stage....no,really,it did!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #205
Head Chef

All I remember is The Birds, and yes, I'm sure it's spelled wrong and is The Byrds. I'm not a big bands, rock stars, music person.
I've heard of the Beetles too.
Birds and Bugs, that's apparently what I know.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #206
Head Chef

Quote:
Who is Blissful?
I can't believe you said that.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #207
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This whole conversation is way off topic.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #208
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
This whole conversation is way off topic.
Yes you, YOU are so right.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #209
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, to get back on subject, I personally enjoy chopping and if you don't mix the batter how are you going to get a cake made, muffings, pancakes, etc?

Are you in such a hurry to get through life that you don't want to take the time to feel your food and how it is made and smells? I miis the smell of the earth on a carrot or beet when you pull it out of the ground. The warmth of the sun on a freshly picked ear of corn.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #210
Chef Extraordinaire

We bought a Tefal Fresh Express for slicing and grating, like cheese, vegetables etc

I dont mind chopping by hand though