"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #211
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
i had a beatle haircut & a beatle jacket(the collarless one)back in the sixties.funnily enough though greg,i always preferred the rolling stones music & the stones were much naughtier,the beatles had a "clean cut" image.mick & the boys are still packin' 'em in on tour.my son,ben,is only 19 but,even with all the modern bands about,he & his mates for that matter,love the beatles.we play beatles cd's in the car & when i listen to the lyrics now i realise just how good the beatles music was.don't know about the ussr etc but maybe music is mightier than the sword?another brit band & a fav of mine from the 60's/70's are "the kinks" ray davies is such a nice guy & still writes.seen lots of interviews with modern bands & a lot cite the kinks as their inspiration....having said that you have got bruce "the boss" springsteen....he was at the etihad stadium in manchester a few weeks ago....even the rain stopped when the boss walked on stage....no,really,it did!
i LOVED the kinks. ray and dave davies (davis, to americans) were geniuses.

celluloid heroes, superman, lola, give the people what they want,... so many great tunes.

although, i heard it was a guy from manchester who inspired their song "art lover".

any relation, harry?

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #212
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i LOVED the kinks. ray and dave davies (davis, to americans) were geniuses.

celluloid heroes, superman, lola, give the people what they want,... so many great tunes.

although, i heard it was a guy from manchester who inspired their song "art lover".

any relation, harry?
if you haven't recently tom,listen to "waterloo sunset"....some of the most poignant lyrics ever written & no other voice could have delivered that song other than ray davi(e)s imho.
art lover? relation?not from round here originally...from north wales,look you now,lovely boy,is it that you mrs jones,blaenau ffestiniog mountain railway,dai the death,isn't it....me!
lot of debate has raged about the lyrics of that one as you can imagine tom.....painter or something else that begins with a "P"....

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #213
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
This whole conversation is way off topic.
I know...I am going back pages trying to find the part about chopping and mixing
Old 08-10-2012, 04:14 AM   #214
Executive Chef

ray davies in his 60's & still deliverin' the goods @ glastonbury 2010 tom...the best festival in the world & 2010 was about the only year it wasn't a mud bath,i know,i've been..............
Old 08-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #215
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I know...I am going back pages trying to find the part about chopping and mixing
this is dc k,you should know by now..............!!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #216
Chef Extraordinaire

I do H...thats why I laugh
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #217
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I do H...thats why I laugh
mad 'innit!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #218
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
This whole conversation is way off topic.
I only had an hour of battery life at the farm--forgot my power supply so am just now getting caught up here. It seems to me we often go "off topic." In a way, it reminds me of conversations I have with friends...we start on one topic and then oops, something s/one says brings something else to mind. I personally love how DC threads start and then move to other thoughts and come back to the subject several posts later. The other nice thing about DC is that if a thread doesn't interest you, you can unsub to it (personally, no offense intended, but I did that with all the hoopala re: July 4th--not celebrated where I live so I didn't follow the thread, checked it off and on, but didn't sub to it).

Having said all that, I would hope that fellow DCers would be tolerant of these little sidetrips (kinda like taking the scenic route on a road trip) and not complain to the mods or owners about such diversions. The title of the forum is "discuss cooking" and discussions often do go off track...such is the nature of human communication. I love the circuitous ways that we return to the topic. And, this thread has gone on for what--22 pages? It would be hard for it not to have diverged many times. We diverge when the thread is only 4 pages long! I also love how people feel they can say what they think without fear of censorship.

I personally do a lot of chopping, grating, etc. I have my favorite tools--for example, I love my mezzaluna (for chopping herbs). I use it in my great aunt's wooden salad bowl. Come to think of it, the mezzaluna is the only knife in the house that always has a knife guard on it when stored. It is taking me a bit of practice to get the hang of using it efficiently--so far, I only use it for herbs. I think there are other uses for it--anyone?
Old 08-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #219
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I only had an hour of battery life at the farm--forgot my power supply so am just now getting caught up here. It seems to me we often go "off topic." In a way, it reminds me of conversations I have with friends...we start on one topic and then oops, something s/one says brings something else to mind. I personally love how DC threads start and then move to other thoughts and come back to the subject several posts later.

Well said!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #220
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Well said!
+1 cw & hoot....ummm hoots mon the noo that is buddy