"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #231
Executive Chef

In US I believe an synonymous word might be "chick." I have never used the term "bird" to refer to anything that didn't have feathers and a beak -- just wanted to set the record straight.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #232
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
In US I believe an synonymous word might be "chick." I have never used the term "bird" to refer to anything that didn't have feathers and a beak -- just wanted to set the record straight.
I've heard the expression "old bird" and "chick" but never just "bird" in the us

Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #233
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I love the "better than bullion". It's flavor is better than powdered, and I just don't take the time to make home made, and can't justify the price of canned. I ALMOST bought canned when I made my tomato basil soup, but after comparing the price per serving, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The stock isn't the star in that kind of soup anyway, just adds a little flavor boost. I have other things to spend my money on unfortunately :/ I have $2300 squirreled away for a downpayment on a car. It was supposed to be my first ever decent car, but now I just signed up for school (I start August 27th!!), so I'm not going to be able to work as much as usual, and now I'm rethinking my plan for a nicer car. Students can get work done on their cars for just the cost of parts, so I'm going to see if they want a project lol. Transmission has been slipping for three years, but now it's getting worse (might be a good diagnostic project for the students), drips fluid from the transaxle, drips oil from the cylinder head, and if I get all that done, I'll probably be driving the stupid car for another 30,000, so I might even see if they'll paint the front clip. It must have been replaced some time before I bought the car, and the paint job wasn't as good as the original paint on the rest of the car, so it's faded to about 6 shades lighter than the rest. It's really a gem...
So many of our HS have an automotive shop. They are always clammering for cars to teach the kids on. The only drawback is that your car can be in the shop for a couple of months while the students learn. That is when Public Transportation looks good. If fact, when you do get the car back, you may want to stay with the PT system. You save a ton of money in care care costs.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #234
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

So many of our HS have an automotive shop. They are always clammering for cars to teach the kids on. The only drawback is that your car can be in the shop for a couple of months while the students learn. That is when Public Transportation looks good. If fact, when you do get the car back, you may want to stay with the PT system. You save a ton of money in care care costs.
I live too far out of town for PT. Great suggestion though! It might be slightly faster because this is college, not HS, but either way my neighbor said I could use his spare car as long as I brought it in next to get a couple things fixed on it :D
Old 08-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #235
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
In the UK, they use the term "bird" meaning a woman
Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #236
Assistant Cook

I find the prep work to be fun and relaxing

I buy the 'very lazy garlic' for the simple fact that i hate the smell of the stuff
Old 01-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #237
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anazoth View Post
I find the prep work to be fun and relaxing

I buy the 'very lazy garlic' for the simple fact that i hate the smell of the stuff
And I fnd the 'lazy garlic' way too strong and over powering.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #238
Executive Chef

I don't like "lazy garlic" either. There's just something not quite right about it. Chop a garlic head or a few cloves and you're adding live garlic to your food. Get it from a bottle preserved in oil and you're using dead garlic. Not the same thing. It starts oxidizing the minute you cut it, and keeping it in oil only slows down its degradation.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #239
Chef Extraordinaire

If it is the smell of raw garlic on your hands that bothers you, a quick rinse under hot water, soap and rubbing a SS spoon on your hands will take care of that quickly. Don't know why it works, it just does. I like the smell of food on my hands.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #240
Executive Chef

What really bothers me about garlic is when there isn't any!