"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #261
Executive Chef

these are sooooooperb!!large juicy sweet roasted red peppers,even got a few bits of charred skin left sticking to them.i go through jars of them making roasted red pepper & tomato sauce.works out at 25% of the cost of buying the same number of fresh peppers & all the work is done.just as good as when i make them myself, but without all the palaver!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PEPPERS 002.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	19340  

Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 PM   #262
Head Chef

I had never roasted Red Peppers until just this year. I have a gas stove - so there is nothing to do but stand over them. Was wonderful. Much easier than I expected.

I had been buying jars of roasted RPs but if you don't use the whole jar right away.... they go mouldy and I can't stand that kind of waste!

I'm not a very good planner for the future. Very sporadic, see a recipe and want to make it right then and there... need a lot of supplies to do that... I have no idea what I have in my cupboards anymore .

I'll be in a store and see something and say "Wow, I just saw a recipe using that." I buy it and then can't find the recipe and have no idea what to do with it now.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #263
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

"arry, I love getting already roasted red peppers, but learned early on that they can go moldy quickly.

After using some once, I pour the rest is a zip baggie and freeze so I can use the rest as the occasion comes up.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #264
Head Chef

Zhizara,

does freezing them making them even softer than they already are?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #265
Certified Pretend Chef

I used to have the same problem but started buying the smaller jar that got used up in one recipe.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #266
Head Chef

Andy, I was buying the smallest jars I could find. But cooking for one can be a challenge with all those wonderful recipes I come across. I try to reduce a lot of them but sometimes it just doesn't work.

And so, of course, I end up eating the whole darn thing!!!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #267
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Andy, I was buying the smallest jars I could find. But cooking for one can be a challenge with all those wonderful recipes I come across. I try to reduce a lot of them but sometimes it just doesn't work.

And so, of course, I end up eating the whole darn thing!!!!!

I understand. I went through a 'cooking for one' period in my life and it does present some problems. Maybe you could make a recipe for two and freeze half of it or eat it again in 2-3 days.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #268
Head Chef

When I reduce a recipe to two (or sometimes 3) I try to serve the 3 plates right away. As soon as cooled, I pop them in the freezer.

Should I be distracted (or otherwise...)

so if I don't , I will have my supper , then the next one for a late snack , hey! it was just sitting there on the counter cooling!!

so then the last one gets scarfed down for breakfast .

Did I tell you I have no self control????
Old 12-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #269
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
When I reduce a recipe to two (or sometimes 3) I try to serve the 3 plates right away. As soon as cooled, I pop them in the freezer.

Should I be distracted (or otherwise...)

so if I don't , I will have my supper , then the next one for a late snack , hey! it was just sitting there on the counter cooling!!

so then the last one gets scarfed down for breakfast .

Did I tell you I have no self control????
I'm beginning to get a clear picture.

You should stop telling people you are cooking for one.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #270
Executive Chef

never had a problem with them going mouldy,chaps.the cooks & co peppers that i buy are in "water,red wine vinegar,sea salt & grape must".not sure if that has anything to do with them not going mouldy,but i have stored an opened jar,in the fridge,for a month & they were just as fresh as the day i opened them.