"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #271
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
never had a problem with them going mouldy,chaps.the cooks & co peppers that i buy are in "water,red wine vinegar,sea salt & grape must".not sure if that has anything to do with them not going mouldy,but i have stored an opened jar,in the fridge,for a month & they were just as fresh as the day i opened them.

That's a different liquid than the red peppers sold around here. The red wine and vinegar would preserve the contents. Do the peppers have a pickled flavor?

Old 12-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #272
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

That's a different liquid than the red peppers sold around here. The red wine and vinegar would preserve the contents. Do the peppers have a pickled flavor?
We have both types here. The pickled ones are called roasted red pepper steaks - don't know why. You can taste the pickling liquid only lightly. I think it's mostly there as a preservative but you could use the liquid in a recipe, I suppose.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #273
Executive Chef

Quote:
nope,not at all andy.it's red wine vinegar NOT red wine & vinegar,so much more mellow & smooth.they hardly taste any different to a "regular" home roasted pepper.just the faintest hint of acidity which makes them great for the dishes i cook with them.fabulous in salads & sandwiches too.brilliant product.really is one of those that i can't see the point of prepping my own.talking about points,that's another point,they are the dolce rosso pointed peppers,which are far sweeter than the regular bells.on top of that,a huge cost saving over buying & prepping your own.winner winner pepper dinner mate!!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #274
Executive Chef

Quote:
nope,not at all andy.it's red wine vinegar NOT red wine & vinegar,so much more mellow & smooth.they hardly taste any different to a "regular" home roasted pepper.just the faintest hint of acidity which makes them great for the dishes i cook with them.fabulous in salads & sandwiches too.brilliant product.really is one of those that i can't see the point of prepping my own.talking about points,that's another point,they are the dolce rosso pointed peppers,which are far sweeter than the regular bells.on top of that,a huge cost saving over buying & prepping your own.winner winner pepper dinner mate!!
I can endorse what H says and yes, they don't go mouldy. I 've had a part jar in my fridge for a couple of months and no mould.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #275
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like roasted red peppers too, but they do get moldy quickly.

Now, when I open the jar, I pour the rest into a zip bag and freeze it flat so I can just break off as much as I need.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #276
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I wonder if, after opening the jar, adding a bit of vinegar to the liquid in of the North American peppers would prevent the mould.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #277
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I wonder if, after opening the jar, adding a bit of vinegar to the liquid in of the North American peppers would prevent the mould.
That might be worth a try cause 8* *&9iu 25jgu.... arghhhhh! my 'puters gone nuts again!
im outa here
Old 12-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #278
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
worth a pop,tax!!i mean,if they were going to go mouldy anyway,what's the worst that can happen?they go mouldy.i would recommend using the red wine vinegar tho'.i have a sneaking suspicion that the grape must has more to do with it then meets the eye.steve kroll would be the chap to ask,as he is the"wine king" & grape must is a byproduct of wine making.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #279
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...i would recommend using the red wine vinegar tho'.i have a sneaking suspicion that the grape must has more to do with it then meets the eye.steve kroll would be the chap to ask,as he is the"wine king" & grape must is a byproduct of wine making.

I suspect the acidity the vinegar adds is the secret. Any vinegar will do. Red wine vinegar may add the best flavor for the peppers.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #280
Executive Chef

Quote:
I suspect the acidity the vinegar adds is the secret. Any vinegar will do. Red wine vinegar may add the best flavor for the peppers.
roger that andy.that's what i was alluding to.red wine vinegar & red peppers just seem to be best friends.see that combo a lot in greek,spanish & portuguese dishes that use red peppers.