Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
only if they are quintessentials.....long story,don't ask! right i'm off to get some work done....tarra luv:)!

Hairy Mungbean, Are we back here again?
Dear one, I have a present for you. In lieu of your birthday present I give you this: Capital Letters. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY and Z.
How funny, hey?:LOL:
Would people even recognize your writing if you used them?

Ultimately, let's not get our quintessentials in a bundle. There is a lot of love here, among food people, let's keep it that way.

Hairy Mungbean, Are we back here again?
Dear one, I have a present for you. In lieu of your birthday present I give you this: Capital Letters. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXY and Z.
How funny, hey?:LOL:
Would people even recognize your writing if you used them?

Ultimately, let's not get our quintessentials in a bundle. There is a lot of love here, among food people, let's keep it that way.
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:!! nice one,ooooops sorry bellissimaful,Nice One Darlin':winkiss:! sorry but the strain of all this shift button stuff is too much like hard work,if there is such a lot of love about,you'll just have to love me & my typing as i am....don't go changin' to try & please me...............;)!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:!! nice one,ooooops sorry bellissimaful,Nice One Darlin':winkiss:! sorry but the strain of all this shift button stuff is too much like hard work,if there is such a lot of love about,you'll just have to love me & my typing as i am....don't go changin' to try & please me...............;)!
OH MY, I haven't been doted on by anyone calling me bellissimaful, quite the title. Oh dear, what kind of slave driver I am to expect you to use that capital shift button. Don't change yourself, we love you as you are. You little pinto bean, hairy little pinto bean. :LOL::LOL:

Harry Cobean said:
i probably use garlic & shallots on a daily basis greg so with you on that.i prefer shallots to onions because i find them sweeter than the onions we get over here imo & the "torpedo" shaped ones are sweet enough to use raw in salads etc.
in work "my area" includes a massive,predominently asian area,where street after street is nothing but mosques,sari shops,indian sweet shops,gold shops,asian food shops & some of the scruffiest looking but best darn asian restaurants/charcoal grill/tandoori dives going:yum:!
i buy the cofresh frozen minced garlic/ginger from there.it's 100% pure garlic or ginger....no oil or anything else added & @ less than £1 for over a lb of garlic/ginger a bargain.tesco also sell it in their asian section
i find that,as with frozen peas,it is almost better than "the real thing" & my asian friends/clients use massive amounts of it but,as in my previous reply,it's there in the freezer if needed,not as a substitute

Do you think chunks of shallot would be good on kabobs? I love to use pearl onions, but bf thinks the onion flavor is too strong. I love the juicy burst of flavor of a pearl onion on a kabob, and I bet a hunk of shallot (like a third maybe?) would be a good happy medium for me and bf.

Do you think chunks of shallot would be good on kabobs? I love to use pearl onions, but bf thinks the onion flavor is too strong. I love the juicy burst of flavor of a pearl onion on a kabob, and I bet a hunk of shallot (like a third maybe?) would be a good happy medium for me and bf.

That is a great idea. I have never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

evening skittle,depends what type of shallot you use,i lurvvvvve the cylindrical "torpedo" shallots,i think the posh name is eschalon shallots.they are really sweet with a good onion flavour & sweet enough to use raw in salads etc,trouble with the pearl onions is that you assume they are going to be mild because they are small but it's the opposite,like with chillies,the smaller they get the hotter they get!of course there will be exceptions that prove the rule but generally that's what i've found.
as far as size of hunk goes,i roast them whole with other veggies,so use as much as you like.that's a torpedo/eschalon shallot under the baby aubergines.let me know how you like them:chef:

Attachments

• SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 001.JPG
    SWORDFISH & RATATOUILLE 001.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 145
chopper said:
That is a great idea. I have never tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

+1

I'll have to try it. You could probably use them whole.

Have you tried the red onions with BF? He may like them. They are milder than most, and sweet. There is also a sweet (white or yellow??? I don't remember) that he may like. Lots of options. My favorite is red onions, and they look pretty!

100% with you on all you've said,especially the meditation bit.90% of the meals i eat,i cook from scratch.colleagues at work don't understand why and apart from the obvious,i tell them that that's how i wind down after another 10 hours savage entertainment at the hands of an uncaring public!!
i live alone so don't have to plan meals/times ahead & very often don't know what i want to eat when i set off to work in the morning,so the advance prep may be wasted on the "well it seemed like a good idea at the time" principle...

the point of the thread was that there are very good products out there that can be used when time is short,not as a 100% substitute.......if you did,that would spoil the fun to be sure greg!!

That was pretty much my schedule too, 8-10 hours work then come home and unwind by cooking my dinner. I too preferred to decide what to have for dinner at the market on the way home from work. After all, how is anybody supposed to know what they want to eat 8-10 hours earlier in the day?

We have Asian markets too although ours are not Indian but rather are Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, etc. That's where I get my garlic, shallots, etc. They have the convenience products too but for some reason I prefer to chop my own.

I used to chop large quantities of garlic etc. on my days off. Currently not a problem since I've been given 7 days a week off now.

Last edited:
+1

I'll have to try it. You could probably use them whole.

Have you tried the red onions with BF? He may like them. They are milder than most, and sweet. There is also a sweet (white or yellow??? I don't remember) that he may like. Lots of options. My favorite is red onions, and they look pretty!
both right,as i said to skittle,i roast them whole with other veggies.spot on chopper,if i'm not using shallots i use red onions,like in the cevapcici i posted last night.love them in a cheese and onion sandwich:yum:! thought you guy's had something called a vidalia onion over there,isn't that a sweet onion too?
dunno 'cos ive never tasted one,just seen them used on the american food shows i watch

Harry Cobean said:
both right,as i said to skittle,i roast them whole with other veggies.spot on chopper,if i'm not using shallots i use red onions,like in the cevapcici i posted last night.love them in a cheese and onion sandwich:yum:! thought you guy's had something called a vidalia onion over there,isn't that a sweet onion too?
dunno 'cos ive never tasted one,just seen them used on the american food shows i watch

Indeed, Harry, vidalias are lovely, nice and sweet. I think most come from Georgia, and the growing season is short.

That was pretty much my schedule too, 8-10 hours work then come home and unwind by cooking my dinner. I too preferred to decide what to have for dinner at the market on the way home from work. After all, how is anybody supposed to know what they want to eat 8-10 hours earlier in the day?

We have Asian markets too although ours are not Indian but rather are Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Thai, etc. That's where I get my garlic, shallots, etc. They have the convenience products too but for some reason I prefer to chop my own.

I used to chop large quantities of garlic etc. on my days off. Currently not a problem since I've been given 7 days a week off now.
swap ya two indian restaurants,one pakistani food store & a persian grill shop for a vietnamese & korean food store:LOL:!! i would love those nearby,infact i think the nearest,if any are over the other side of the city:(!!
not quite got to 7 days a week off yet greg but getting close.dunno mate,love what i do even after nearly 30 years as an estate agent i don't think i could give it up altogether:)!

swap ya two indian restaurants,one pakistani food store & a persian grill shop for a vietnamese & korean food store:LOL:!! i would love those nearby,infact i think the nearest,if any are over the other side of the city:(!!

Oddly I'm not fond of Indian food except tandoori. I like mainly Thai, Chinese and Japanese (in that order). Compare Indian and Thai curry dishes, Indians use yogurt (right?) while Thais use coconut milk. I really like coconut milk and coconut cream in recipes. Indian and Thai are different in many ways, too many to go into it.

not quite got to 7 days a week off yet greg but getting close.dunno mate,love what i do even after nearly 30 years as an estate agent i don't think i could give it up altogether:)!

Yeah I understand that. I don't know how people do it. Although for about 15 months I worked in a city 100 miles from home (commuted in on Monday morning, back home Friday afternoon) and worked 10-12 hours a day during the week and then at home Saturday 10-12 and half day Sunday, so I know a little bit about long hours.

My present work week is 0 hours a week. I was sorry to lose the previous work (not my choice, it was the economy) but too late to do anything now. There's still little/no work available in my field.

We usually use slices of red onion on the kabobs. He usually leaves about half the onion on his plate, which I gladly finish off lol. Vidalia onions would be great, as they are even sweeter than reds, but they are very seasonal. I keep an eye out for them, because I could use more onion without bf complaining, but I hardly ever see them. I love the little flavor bursts of red pearl onions, but it's just too much for Mike. I am definitely going to try shallots the next time. Probably not whole, as they are a little on the expensive side here, but cut horizontally into thirds I bet would be just right. If I can get the juicy flavor, without it being too overpowering for Mike, that would be just perfect!! I know I could do both, but the package of pearls is pretty big, and then I would have more of them to use up in something else. I suppose I could plan to make soup with them or something, but I would much rather just have a happy medium we both like. I come from an onion loving family- my sister's DH calls her meat loaf onion loaf :)

Oh, and I use crushed garlic in a tube. It comes out like a thin paste, and has the flavor of fresh garlic. Not sure why, but I don't like chopping garlic... Has anyone tried the new "freeze dried" minced garlic? Do you think it would be any better than the regular dried?

Last edited:
Oddly I'm not fond of Indian food except tandoori. I like mainly Thai, Chinese and Japanese (in that order). Compare Indian and Thai curry dishes, Indians use yogurt (right?) while Thais use coconut milk. I really like coconut milk and coconut cream in recipes. Indian and Thai are different in many ways, too many to go into it.

Yeah I understand that. I don't know how people do it. Although for about 15 months I worked in a city 100 miles from home (commuted in on Monday morning, back home Friday afternoon) and worked 10-12 hours a day during the week and then at home Saturday 10-12 and half day Sunday, so I know a little bit about long hours.

My present work week is 0 hours a week. I was sorry to lose the previous work (not my choice, it was the economy) but too late to do anything now. There's still little/no work available in my field.
that's why i would swap you two indian restaurants,some dishes are stunning,but not top of my list....thai,japanese,vietnamese and some chinese(not cantonese)are.sorry to hear about the job situation greg,guess it's tough everywhere.housing market is knackered here which is one of the reasons i'm easing off,quit while you're ahead & all that stuff....good luck matey,hope something turns up soon...really do
right it's 6:20pm here & i'm going out so need to "get a riddle on" as we say over 'ere:)!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom