Life's too short for chopping & mixing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one of my favourite shortcuts. It's cheaper than organic lemons or limes, too. They taste like fresh lime and lemon juice - no nasty tasting sodium bisulfite.

We used to buy lemon juice, but since we have a lemon tree, we just juice them ourselves, it doesnt take too long and we would rather use the fresh fruit on the trees :)

Although, we do buy lime juice as we dont have a lime tree

I've got my own tip about keeping mushrooms:

As soon as you get them home transfer them to a brown paper bag and keep them in one of your refrigerator drawers. They can last up to a month that way. After a couple weeks they start shriveling a bit but still perfectly usable except in salads. Keep them long enough and the turn into dried mushrooms, but they don't spoil. (Don't get moldy or anything.)

Greg at our supermarkets and green grocers, they supply the brown paper bag to put your mushrooms in, instead of the plastic bags...so when we get home we just put them straight in the crisper drawers in the fridge :)

Must keep me mince pies peeled for that hollandaise. Its one thing I really can't be fagged making.

We have jars of Hollandaise sauce here in the supermarkets and also in instant packet mixes where you just add water.

They are much easier than making that sauce, thats for sure!

We used to buy lemon juice, but since we have a lemon tree, we just juice them ourselves, it doesnt take too long and we would rather use the fresh fruit on the trees :)

Although, we do buy lime juice as we dont have a lime tree
I wouldn't bother with bottled lemon juice if I had a lemon tree. Heck, I wouldn't use it if I couldn't get this good organic juice. The regular ones at the supermarket have "sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite and sodium sulfite". I don't want any of that in my food. I think it's the sodium metabisulfite that gives it the yucky, bitter taste.

That does sound like a lot of awful ingredients :ohmy:

I may look for the Lime juice in the organic form ;)

That does sound like a lot of awful ingredients :ohmy:

I may look for the Lime juice in the organic form ;)

The stuff in Oz might not be as scary ;)

I really appreciate the fact that I can use one teaspoon, or a few drops without opening an entire lemon or lime. It's also cheaper than making my own organic lemon or lime juice and the lemons and limes in the bottled juice were ripe when they were juiced. When you live as far north as Montreal, citrus is shipped before it is ripe, so it won't be over ripe when it arrives. The only drawback is that I have to remember to buy an organic lemon or lime if I want some of the zest. Here in NA, they dye citrus fruits with carcinogenic dyes that aren't allowed in foods.

Greg at our supermarkets and green grocers, they supply the brown paper bag to put your mushrooms in, instead of the plastic bags...so when we get home we just put them straight in the crisper drawers in the fridge :)

I'm famous! I posted it on the Internet and your store read it and now they're following my advice. :)

I did figure it out on my own. Unfortunately many of the great ideas were invented multiple times.

Who was the guy who never heard of Bell and invented the telephone subsequently?

I invented the tempura California roll too, but again, multiple independent invention by many people.

We have jars of Hollandaise sauce here in the supermarkets and also in instant packet mixes where you just add water.

They are much easier than making that sauce, thats for sure!

Jars of Hollandaise? I can only wonder what abomination of chemicals they added to stabilize it. (Read that Ratio cooking theory book.)

I wouldn't bother with bottled lemon juice if I had a lemon tree. Heck, I wouldn't use it if I couldn't get this good organic juice. The regular ones at the supermarket have "sodium benzoate, sodium metabisulfite and sodium sulfite". I don't want any of that in my food. I think it's the sodium metabisulfite that gives it the yucky, bitter taste.

Same here. And same thing about those sodium -ates and -ites. I like my lemon juice with just lemons.

I'm famous! I posted it on the Internet and your store read it and now they're following my advice. :)

I did figure it out on my own. Unfortunately many of the great ideas were invented multiple times.

I am pleased to see the stores over here have taken notice of your advice Greg :) :LOL:

The stuff in Oz might not be as scary ;)

I really appreciate the fact that I can use one teaspoon, or a few drops without opening an entire lemon or lime. It's also cheaper than making my own organic lemon or lime juice and the lemons and limes in the bottled juice were ripe when they were juiced. When you live as far north as Montreal, citrus is shipped before it is ripe, so it won't be over ripe when it arrives. The only drawback is that I have to remember to buy an organic lemon or lime if I want some of the zest. Here in NA, they dye citrus fruits with carcinogenic dyes that aren't allowed in foods.

I will have to go and look at our lime juice bottle and see what is in it...I will be back :)

Taxy our Lime juice in the bottle has the following ingredients

Reconstituted lime juice 99.9%
Flavours
Vitamin C
Preservatives (223, 221)
Contains sulphites

Don't even get me started on artificial sweeteners. All I can say to anybody who eats them is to surf the Internet and use your Google.

Same for HFCS. HFCS is the food manufacturing industry telling consumers "we don't care if we kill you as long as we can eke out another 1 percent of profit." (The only rationale I can see for using HFCS is because it's cheaper than cane sugar.)

Don't even get me started on artificial sweeteners. All I can say to anybody who eats them is to surf the Internet and use your Google.

Same for HFCS. HFCS is the food manufacturing industry telling consumers "we don't care if we kill you as long as we can eke out another 1 percent of profit." (The only rationale I can see for using HFCS is because it's cheaper than cane sugar.)

Yes, I have heard shocking things about artificial sweeteners, never use them and never will

Back
Top Bottom