Lip balm recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi everyone,

I was just curious if anyone might per chance have a really good recipe for homemade lip balm (lip chap)? I don't need big quantities, I'd just like up to make up a little bit for myself.

Thanks for any thoughts guys :)

OK, now this is something I never thought of doing. My kids would love to make their own flavoured lip gloss though. Thanks for both the idea and the recipes you guys.

Hi Daisy,

Those all sound so wonderful, thank-you for posting them! I think that I'll try the peppermint & vanilla lip balm first. Yum-yum it almost sounds good enough to eat :mrgreen:

IC, thanks for asking this & daisy, thanks for the recipes! My kids go through chap stick/lip balm like crazy during the winter & it can get rather expensive.

I have a friend who makes all her own soap, lotions, candles and lip balms. I'll email her and see if she'll give out one of her recipes :)

what a great subject! Thank you.
Thanks, I'm so glad you like this topic too! :) I mainly asked because I have very senstive skin and am also sensative to a lot of chemicals so I like to find homemade options for as many products as I can.

Just thought I would toss this tidbit in for y'all. My dermatologist gave these recipes a big thumbs up. Apparently, vaseline is the best thing you can do for chapped skin. It has the fewest chemicals in it, so it is the best for you to use.

i use it on my hands in the winter. i rub some on my hands. then i put white socks on my hands and go to sleep. the next morning i get up and wash my hands and they're so soft, and no longer wind chapped.

You apparently should use it on your face once a week too. Smear it on then slap a hot facecloth on it for a minute. Then wipe off.

Smear, slap, and wipe...roflmao! Just funny to hear when you are talking about your face! Maybe it's just me...:ROFLMAO:

Just thought I would toss this tidbit in for y'all. My dermatologist gave these recipes a big thumbs up. Apparently, vaseline is the best thing you can do for chapped skin. It has the fewest chemicals in it, so it is the best for you to use.
Thanks Alix that's great to know! :)

This is a little late, but I'm new here...

For another base other than a petroleum by-product, use coconut oil. There are two kinds--one melts at body temperature, the other lower. warm til it melts and add essential oils (be careful, use sparingly), or steep herbs in it and strain. It will re-solidify when cool. If you want to carry it in your pocket, add in some beeswax or it will melt and run all over.

Goes on like silk, has lots of EFA's that are good for sensitive skin. Herbs to steep include rosemary, chamomile (the best), sandalwood, and calendula. Try a drop each of lemon and lime essential oils per ounce of coco oil for something really yummy.

You can also use full-fat coconut milk (from a can is fine)as a bath additive or lotion if your skin is dry and irritated.

(Notice--this is a JOKE!!!) Since chapped lips are often brought on by licking the lips, I always heard that the best thing for chapped lips is chicken poop. You will never lick your lips again! :sick:

:) Barbara

ICadvisor said:
...frequently kissing my hubby...
Not if you use my chapped lips remedy!

BTW, I really liked the recipes for home made lip balms. I go through a lot of Chapstick, so I will have to try these.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom