Liquid Smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JGDean

Sous Chef
Does this product "go bad" or expire? I have several bottle of different types and I know they are at least 10 Years old.

Mine are 3 or 4 years old, im still using them and still upright and breathing too. Just checked my bottles and dont see a written expiration date on them . I did do a little searching. One brands website guarantees the product for 2 years. Claims because of its low PH and antimicrobial properties, it would last twice as long.

larry

I could not find liquid smoke for a long time, and kept reading all kind of recipes with it, so finaly when i did find some I cannot remember any of them, the recipes I mean, do you care to tell me what you use the stuff for. I know I can google it, but I would like a tasted recipe, please.

I could not find liquid smoke for a long time, and kept reading all kind of recipes with it, so finaly when i did find some I cannot remember any of them, the recipes I mean, do you care to tell me what you use the stuff for. I know I can google it, but I would like a tasted recipe, please.

CharlieD it is used in foods you want to have a smokey flavor without having to acually smoke it... I have a bottle but for the life of me can't remember why or what I used it for... When the mind is working properly again, I might remember and i'll let you know... ;);):)

Charlie, I use it when I make brisket. My brisket is made in the oven so the way I get that great smoky flavor is to use a capful of liquid smoke. It is great stuff, but very powerful so just a little bit is all you need. I also use it when making beef jerky.

I usually use it when making chili, or when using the forman grill, since the stuff on that grill doesnt get the charcoal-like flavor. The stuff is kind of potent ,and as a vinegary-like flavor as well, so u need to add it sparingly ( a few drops at a time). Probably could be added to marinades as well. In my store it is usually located by the steak sauce, and mine are in bottles not too much bigger than a tobasco bottle.

I tend to use it only for making my BBQ sauce. A little goes a long way.

I did add some to a meatloaf once too...

I'm sorry for kidnaping the thread, I looked at my bottle and could not find the exparation date.

I've never known a bottle of Liquid Smoke to go bad. Charlie, I use it in my BBQ sauce. I also will add a few drops to ground beef when I cook hamburger patties on the stove. Once I had some tuna steaks. I rubbed a little Liquid Smoke on them and baked them. You could almost not have been able to tell the difference between them and beef steak!

:)Barbara

Does this product "go bad" or expire? I have several bottle of different types and I know they are at least 10 Years old.

I personally think it goes bad. I had a bottle of it that I'd had for who knows how many years, and I used just a tiny amount in some hamburger. The burgers were horrible, so I concluded I just didn't like the stuff, and threw it away. Recently I bought a new bottle to make Kalua Pork in my slow cooker and it was fantastic, with a wonderful smoky pit flavor. My only conclusion is the first bottle had gone bad. Just my opinion though. My advice is, before you ruin a recipe, buy a new bottle.

PS.......Charlie, I'll post my recipe for Kalua Pork in a few minutes. It's wonderful!!

I've got a bottle from 1903. Couple of years ago when I bought it I took a taste.... seemed just fine to me.. But no, I wouldn't use it!!!

Back
Top Bottom