Liquid Smoke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bolas De Fraile

Executive Chef
I can't find it in the UK does anyone have a link to a site that would post it to me.
My Dad had a Danish friend 50 yrs ago who used liquid smoke to make cold smoked salmon, do you use your Liquid Smoke for the same thing ?

Amazon carries it!

I've used it for a couple of simple things; while cooking a beef brisket to shred for tacos and to make a "smoked" flavored salmon dip with cream cheese.

Last edited:
If you're interested in other uses for Liquid Smoke. Use the Search function and change the option from search threads to search posts. Many good ideas there.

I use liquid smoke in my split pea soup I it needs a bit of flavor.

I also make a steak dipping sauce with it.

Would you post your steak dipping sauce recipe, please?:chef:
A-1
Worsteshire sauce
Soy sauce
Maggi sauce
Red wine vinegar
Liquid smoke

Start with a little of each and mix to taste.

I don't believe it's available over there BDF. You may be able to order it though. I know we can.
I haven't smoked slamon yet, but before I got my smoker and got into the different wood chips, I used to set a pie tin with water and some Liquid Smoke on a burner in the propane grill and it did add a nice smoky flavor. It's also nice in BBQ sauces to deepen them and add a nice hickory flavor. A little goes a long way. It's very concentrated because it actually is liquid smoke. It's made from condensed wood smoked. It was featured on one of those How it's Made shows.

What's Maggi sauce? That's a new one to me.

Here's a link with a blog about Maggi sauce. I've not tried cooking with it.

High quality Asian seasoning from Maggi of Switzerland. A few drops adds a unique flavor to just about anything. A little goes a long way--experiment with it. Ingredients: water, salt, wheat gluten, wheat, and les than 2% of wheat bran, sugar, acetic acid, artificial flavor, disodium inosinate, guanylate, dextrose, caramel color. Product of China.

Like liquid smoke, I bet it's to be used sparingly.

Eat Drink & Be Merry. Food, Travel and Photography in Los Angeles and Beyond.: My Love for Maggi Seasoning Sauce - Maggi Sauce

Last edited:
After a look at google, there are indeed, a number of places in the UK where one can order liquid smoke.
It is possible to make your own, but it can be an involved process.
If you decide to order, I highly recommend Stubb's original liquid smoke.
I have not used the mesquite variety so I can't speak as to the taste of that.
It runs something over £3 for a 148 ml bottle, near as I can tell, (not being overly familiar with British money).

I don't believe it's available over there BDF. You may be able to order it though. I know we can.
I haven't smoked slamon yet, but before I got my smoker and got into the different wood chips, I used to set a pie tin with water and some Liquid Smoke on a burner in the propane grill and it did add a nice smoky flavor. It's also nice in BBQ sauces to deepen them and add a nice hickory flavor. A little goes a long way. It's very concentrated because it actually is liquid smoke. It's made from condensed wood smoked. It was featured on one of those How it's Made shows.
Yup I also use it in BBQ sauce

Thank you for the link Caslon. Now that I know what it looks like I think I know where to find it when I go to Walmart next week. Sounds like something good to try out.:chef:

After a look at google, there are indeed, a number of places in the UK where one can order liquid smoke.
It is possible to make your own, but it can be an involved process.
If you decide to order, I highly recommend Stubb's original liquid smoke.
I have not used the mesquite variety so I can't speak as to the taste of that.
It runs something over £3 for a 148 ml bottle, near as I can tell, (not being overly familiar with British money).
Whoooo Hooo I have only seen (looked for) hickory flavor. A quick check on my supermarket website shows they also have the mesquite flavor!! I can't wait. I use a combo of hickory and mesquite smoker chips.

I knew they has mesquite ;^)
I don't even use mesquite "real" smoke anymore. Just not a fan. It is pretty popular though.

Here's a link with a blog about Maggi sauce. I've not tried cooking with it.

High quality Asian seasoning from Maggi of Switzerland. A few drops adds a unique flavor to just about anything. A little goes a long way--experiment with it. Ingredients: water, salt, wheat gluten, wheat, and les than 2% of wheat bran, sugar, acetic acid, artificial flavor, disodium inosinate, guanylate, dextrose, caramel color. Product of China.

Like liquid smoke, I bet it's to be used sparingly.

Eat Drink & Be Merry. Food, Travel and Photography in Los Angeles and Beyond.: My Love for Maggi Seasoning Sauce - Maggi Sauce

Maggi: It's similar in flavor to soy sauce, but with a pronounced difference. It can be used as a substitute for soy sauce, and is usually used as a flavor additive for meats, gravies, and sauces to go with meats. It can also be used with vegetables that go well with salt, such as green beans, peas, lentils, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Maggi: It's similar in flavor to soy sauce, but with a pronounced difference. It can be used as a substitute for soy sauce, and is usually used as a flavor additive for meats, gravies, and sauces to go with meats. It can also be used with vegetables that go well with salt, such as green beans, peas, lentils, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I put Maggi in my homemade salad dressing. We love it!!

Thank you for all the replies, Hoot I put Stubbs liquid smoke in google and got lots of hits. I ordered 2 flavors so thanks:)

Thank you for all the replies, Hoot I put Stubbs liquid smoke in google and got lots of hits. I ordered 2 flavors so thanks:)
I just picked up the mesquite!! I had the hickory. I usually buy Wright's brand liquid hickory smoke but they were out.

Back
Top Bottom