"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Would be nice to sample the vast variety of Scotch Whiskeys in order to identify which have the smokiest flavor .

Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't believe it's available over there BDF. You may be able to order it though. I know we can.
I haven't smoked slamon yet, but before I got my smoker and got into the different wood chips, I used to set a pie tin with water and some Liquid Smoke on a burner in the propane grill and it did add a nice smoky flavor. It's also nice in BBQ sauces to deepen them and add a nice hickory flavor. A little goes a long way. It's very concentrated because it actually is liquid smoke. It's made from condensed wood smoked. It was featured on one of those How it's Made shows.
Yup I also use it in BBQ sauce

Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thank you for the link Caslon. Now that I know what it looks like I think I know where to find it when I go to Walmart next week. Sounds like something good to try out.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
After a look at google, there are indeed, a number of places in the UK where one can order liquid smoke.
It is possible to make your own, but it can be an involved process.
If you decide to order, I highly recommend Stubb's original liquid smoke.
I have not used the mesquite variety so I can't speak as to the taste of that.
It runs something over £3 for a 148 ml bottle, near as I can tell, (not being overly familiar with British money).
Whoooo Hooo I have only seen (looked for) hickory flavor. A quick check on my supermarket website shows they also have the mesquite flavor!! I can't wait. I use a combo of hickory and mesquite smoker chips.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I knew they has mesquite ;^)
I don't even use mesquite "real" smoke anymore. Just not a fan. It is pretty popular though.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Here's a link with a blog about Maggi sauce. I've not tried cooking with it.

High quality Asian seasoning from Maggi of Switzerland. A few drops adds a unique flavor to just about anything. A little goes a long way--experiment with it. Ingredients: water, salt, wheat gluten, wheat, and les than 2% of wheat bran, sugar, acetic acid, artificial flavor, disodium inosinate, guanylate, dextrose, caramel color. Product of China.

Like liquid smoke, I bet it's to be used sparingly.

Eat Drink & Be Merry. Food, Travel and Photography in Los Angeles and Beyond.: My Love for Maggi Seasoning Sauce - Maggi Sauce
Maggi: It's similar in flavor to soy sauce, but with a pronounced difference. It can be used as a substitute for soy sauce, and is usually used as a flavor additive for meats, gravies, and sauces to go with meats. It can also be used with vegetables that go well with salt, such as green beans, peas, lentils, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
Maggi: It's similar in flavor to soy sauce, but with a pronounced difference. It can be used as a substitute for soy sauce, and is usually used as a flavor additive for meats, gravies, and sauces to go with meats. It can also be used with vegetables that go well with salt, such as green beans, peas, lentils, etc.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I put Maggi in my homemade salad dressing. We love it!!
Old 01-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Thank you for all the replies, Hoot I put Stubbs liquid smoke in google and got lots of hits. I ordered 2 flavors so thanks
Old 01-15-2011, 01:23 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Thank you for all the replies, Hoot I put Stubbs liquid smoke in google and got lots of hits. I ordered 2 flavors so thanks
I just picked up the mesquite!! I had the hickory. I usually buy Wright's brand liquid hickory smoke but they were out.