Listels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

advoca

Senior Cook
In the article in Wikipedia (and Answers.com) on pizzas I came across the following:

Pizza Margherita: tomato, mozzarella in listels, basil and oil;

What does “in listels” mean? Can anybody enlighten me, please?

The closest I could find is a random quote from another site:
-cut a-la joulienne, in cubes or listels or what do you like to eat
This would seem to apply that it means perhaps mozzarella in chunks or slices. It seems to be largely a word of French or Italian origin.

I think Haggis was definitely on the right track saying "slices". Listel/listell/listelle is an architectural term which can denote a thin trim or border, or can refer to planks or tiles (oblong or square) on the floor. I tried several dictionaries and could not find one with a food related definition.

I would have to guess that in this case (having watched pizza made with sliced cheese) that it would mean to slice the mozzarella and then lay it out over the surface like planks or tiles.

I have met a kind soul who told me that listels is an Italian word, and the recipe I mentioned has probably been badly translated. Apparently it means small slices.

So your suggestion, Michael, was a sound one. Thanks.

But I am suprised that Wikopedia uses such an unusual and esoteric word.

I think its when the cheese is spread in chunks with wide gaps between them instead of when you evenly cover teh whole thing with grated cheese. I have an Italian cookbook and the cheese is always like that so thats how I make pizza. Here's the best pic I could find on google images, I think its more like this than shredded: http://www.food-management.com/display_image.php?ID=5533

I am not sure that "listels" is Italian in origin. It is a word associated with tiles and moldings and other architectural details (like M in FW said)

In the dictionary (Webster's) an alternative def. is "filet"

So I assume it is sliced fresh mozarella. Because if you have ever eaten a Pizza Margherita, that is what it is.

Wikepedia is a notoriously sketchy source of information, as it is user-compiled. It often just restates what people glean from other sites. The "mozarella in listels" reference can be found in other sites, too. Probably just copying one another without giving it an ounce of thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom